DP34 and DPP Twin

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I know we've gone through this before but I was reading this DPP Twin document that states under "Connection to a DP34 switch":

"A minimun of two constantly powered DP receivers must be connected to the DP34 switch" or

"A DP Plus 44 Switch Power Inserter must be used on any DP34 port"

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf

I knew about the first option because Mdonnelly has his setup that way and hasn't had any problems but never heard or seen the Power Inserter used with a DP34.

Has anybody used a power inserter on a DP34?

Can't answer your question, but it raises another: On the DPP44 the inserter must be connected to port 1. That says to me that only port 1 receives power, whether from the inserter or a receiver (further to the previous thread). That would imply that additional receivers connected to the other ports won't help with the power situation at all...?

Good observation! So it looks like the DPP44 only takes power from port 1 and the DP34 from all 4 ports thus there is always power in the DP34 allowing the pass through ports to continue feeding other switches.

Why couldn't they do that with the DPP44? and I'm sorry Van, I'm not an Electrical Engineer but I don't buy the "high power requirement" story with the DPP44. A couple of DP receivers should power that sucker to allow pass through to other switches.

That's why I wanted to ask the installers if they were doing it or if E* has told them that they could use it. I'm sure as hell will not use the power inserter on the DP34, I have a spare one but don't want to mess up the power inserter or receivers.

I know it's a bit off-topic and actually belongs in another recent post, but it occured to me why the DPP44's I have seen not using a power inserter seem to work. In every case there was 2 feeds running to each dual-tuner receiver instead of just one. Perhaps 2 feeds is enough to power up the DPP44 switch

I understood that only port 1 received power from receiver.

My system worked when the installer first hooked it up without a power inserter, but he said the 301 in port 1 could not continue to provide sufficient power to the switch - it might fail and I'd loose a receiver if a power inserter wan not added.

Maybe it is just getting enough power form that receiver, but stressing it, problems ahead, maybe.

Last edited:
Yeah I can confirm that the DPP44 only receives power from port 1, either a receiver and a power inserter. I connected a 625 and a 211 to the DPP44 and both were fine for a couple of days. I disconnected the 625 which was on Port 1 and the 211 lost the signal. The power inserter is back on line.

OK guys, here's the scoop. A DPP-Twin uses more power than a DP-Twin. In some (many?) marginal cases, a single DP receiver doesn't have the juice to run both a DP34 and a DPP-Twin - which is why the "no DPP-Twin with DP34" restriction came out.

Using a power inserter with a DP34 removes that restriction.

As for a DPP44 without a power inserter, apparently that will work in SOME cases - but I'll bet not if there's 4 LNB feeds. ;)

SimpleSimon said:
OK guys, here's the scoop. A DPP-Twin uses more power than a DP-Twin. In some (many?) marginal cases, a single DP receiver doesn't have the juice to run both a DP34 and a DPP-Twin - which is why the "no DPP-Twin with DP34" restriction came out.

Using a power inserter with a DP34 removes that restriction.

As for a DPP44 without a power inserter, apparently that will work in SOME cases - but I'll bet not if there's 4 LNB feeds. ;)

Good point about the DP34/DPP Twin. I really can't think of a reason why a person would use a single receiver AND have a DP34 switch. Guess that's why I've been able to utilize this combination (multiple receivers in play)

Hey Simon, good to have you back.

"Using a power inserter with a DP34 removes that restriction."

So you could actually use a power inserter with a DP34?

RandallA said:
Hey Simon, good to have you back.

"Using a power inserter with a DP34 removes that restriction."

So you could actually use a power inserter with a DP34?
Thanks! I've been busy, and my forum time has been limited to dishretailer.com.

Ya - electrons is electrons. ;) If the configuration needs a few more, there ya go.

RandallA said:
I know we've gone through this before but I was reading this DPP Twin document that states under "Connection to a DP34 switch":

"A minimun of two constantly powered DP receivers must be connected to the DP34 switch" or

"A DP Plus 44 Switch Power Inserter must be used on any DP34 port"

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf

I knew about the first option because Mdonnelly has his setup that way and hasn't had any problems but never heard or seen the Power Inserter used with a DP34.

Has anybody used a power inserter on a DP34?

E* teaches us not to use a 34 with a DPP Twin. Really it's kind of a silly setup, unless you were scrapping parts for some reason.

Say you had two 625's, why even have the 34 switch? Then that would mean 4 feed runs to the recievers vs two. I could see maybe so if you had four 301/311's in your system, then again I'd use a Legacy/DP Quad unless maybe the dish was on a pole 100' from the GB, save alot of trenching, if that was the case I'd put two DP Duals in it's place.

Then again like I said, if you were piecing your system yourself with spare parts.

Keep it simple.

rcdallas said:
E* teaches us not to use a 34 with a DPP Twin. Really it's kind of a silly setup, unless you were scrapping parts for some reason.

Say you had two 625's, why even have the 34 switch? Then that would mean 4 feed runs to the recievers vs two. I could see maybe so if you had four 301/311's in your system, then again I'd use a Legacy/DP Quad unless maybe the dish was on a pole 100' from the GB, save alot of trenching, if that was the case I'd put two DP Duals in it's place.

Then again like I said, if you were piecing your system yourself with spare parts.

Keep it simple.

I'll give a very specific example of how a person can go from a DPP Twin to a DPP Twin/DP 34 combo....

Customer starts out with a dual-tuner. A 322. After which they realize, "oh hell, let's get a hi-def TV and another TV for the kid's room". Ok, cool. But they don't want to pay the $199 upgrade fee for the 622. "No problem", Dish tells them. A 301 and 211 will solve your problem. Grand total of 3 receivers now.

Tech shows up for the upgrade and doesn't want to deal with the crap of having to RA the LNB. Simply installs the DP34 in the basement. And if it's a pre-wired home, then great; didn't have to even take the ladder out to run a line to the 2nd-story room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts