DP44: Where can power inserter reside?

bjersing

Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
I will be installing a DP44 this weekend and I do not have an outlet anywhere close to where it will be installed (on the outside of my house). Can the inserter be placed near one of my DVR units inside the house? On which side of the OTA/SAT diplexor or should it go on the SAT only line?

My equipment:
942 --> switching to 622
D500+300: 110/119/61.5 --> Switching to D1000: 110/119/129
DP34 --> switching to DP44
OTA with diplexors on 1 SAT feed to 942

I have my inserter right at my 622, which is a good 40' from the switch itself. The inserter needs to go on the switch side of the separator if you're using one (sounds like you are not). If you're diplexing as well, it can go between the receiver (or separator) and diplexer ONLY if the diplexer is a high-current unit. Probably best to have it closest to the switch in that circuit. Make sure it is in the cable that connects to the 44's output port 1...

Last edited:
I just re-read your OP and it now raises a couple of questions and perhaps a suggestion. Am I correct that you currently have 2 leads running to the 942 from the 34? And will you still have just the 3 sat. slots, hence 3 downleads from the D1000? If so, what is your motive for replacing the 34 with the 44? The 44 has some advantages but if I'm correct you really don't need them in your planned upgrade. One downside of course is that it indeed needs the separate PI.

If you do convert to the 44 then you can use just a single coax from the switch to the 622 via the separator that comes with the 622 to feed both sat. inputs. That would free-up the additional coax that you could dedicate to the OTA antenna signal and do away with the diplexers. Of course that cable would have to run independently all the way to the OTA antenna.

Am I missing something...?

Last edited:
The power inserter goes in output #1 and can be located any where in that line from the back of the receiver to the switch.

bhelms said:
I just re-read your OP and it now raises a couple of questions and perhaps a suggestion. Am I correct that you currently have 2 leads running to the 942 from the 34? And will you still have just the 3 sat. slots, hence 3 downleads from the D1000? If so, what is your motive for replacing the 34 with the 44? The 44 has some advantages but if I'm correct you really don't need them in your planned upgrade. One downside of course is that it indeed needs the separate PI.

If you do convert to the 44 then you can use just a single coax from the switch to the 622 via the separator that comes with the 622 to feed both sat. inputs. That would free-up the additional coax that you could dedicate to the OTA antenna signal and do away with the diplexers. Of course that cable would have to run independently all the way to the OTA antenna.

Am I missing something...?

I spoke with several folks in tech support and then eventually to some executive support guy (Frank) who said that the DP44 has much higher throughput and will give me better long term perfromance than the DP34. That is the only reason the installer is coming out to my house. I have 2x RG6 cables that I ran last summer on the underside edge of my roof from one side of the house to the other. If I only use one RG6 with a separator, then I really do not gain anything as the other RG6 cable is still there and I diplexed the OTA through one anyway. Can you separate and diplex on the same coax? It seems like I might be loosing some bandwidth.

AFAIK there is no technical limitation on running all the signals through one cable since the combined frequency bands don't overlap, but there is always some loss/reflection through the diplexers that can degrade the signal somewhat. Whether or not that is a problem in your situation will depend on other factors such as the strength of the OTA signal, cable type/quality, length, etc. Just make sure you have the devices in the correct order.

I don't think you can send the OTA/sat. diplexed signal through the switch (anyone else?). If that's true then both diplexers need to be on the switch's output coax to the separator/622. But if that same cable is also carrying the power for the switch then you need to make sure the diplexers can handle that power. Get the tech to help you sort it out. If you already have the cables run and the correct diplexers available then he will probably help you connect and test everything as part of that service call.

Good luck and report back...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)