DPP Separators, two sizes?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Question for installers or anybody else. I've seen two different sizes for DPP separators.

This auction on eBay has a picture with both sizes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-DISH-Network-...ryZ32843QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The bigger one is made in China, the smaller one is made in Taiwan. I was at Fry's today and saw that the 622 comes with the bigger one. My 625 came with the smaller one.

Obviously both accomplish the same thing but for the ones that have failed and you've replaced, have you seen any pattern? Say the small ones tend to fail more than the bigger one or vice-versa. Just curious.......

I've had better luck with the smaller separators. Not that there's an issue with failure. But the few times I have seen a separator not work, it's usually the larger style. Which makes NO sense at all. To me, logic would dictate that the larger one would stand up to signal probs better.

Maybe the large ones = cheaper. If the 622's came with the larger ones then they must have came out after the smaller ones were made. I got a 625 and a 322 with the large seperator last summer.

I think the bigger ones are cooler looking as well (more modern look) whereas the smaller ones look more like a splitter/diplexer.

Stargazer said:
I think the bigger ones are cooler looking as well (more modern look) whereas the smaller ones look more like a splitter/diplexer.

exactly, they look more expensive, which impresses some customers :p

I think the bigger ones look better but the main thing is that they work right. That's all I care about since it is not going to be looked at most of the time. The dish outside and the receiver people would care more about what they look like. Those are more like a peice of furniture in the house so they should have some style.

It just occured to me WHY I run into more failures with the larger style separators. Think about most situations where a tuner is going to be placed. Yep! In an entertainment center. And most often, people generally will try to cram the receiver and the wiring all the way to the back. The larger separator seems to take the brunt of the abuses.

Most generally an installer will just simply use the twin 6" pieces of coax that come with the seperator. And will then either use another custom made 6" piece or take his chances with the RG59 cable that comes with the dual-tuner. Overall length of things being what...maybe 14 - 15 inches.

Or maybe there were more larger ones made than the smaller ones therefore there would be more reports of the larger ones going bad.

Remember people. It's not the size of the separator that counts. It's the performance. :D

ats7627 said:
Remember people. It's not the size of the separator that counts. It's the performance. :D

That's what I was interested in knowing, performance. It caught my attention that they had two different sizes and wanted to know if there was issue with a particular one. I have the small one with the 625, (a small separator) :) and wanted to get a spare one so I may get the bigger one just so I have both sizes.

If this discussion were in "The Pit" there would be great, emotionally charged debate over the fact that one is manufactured by the Exploited Masses of a Commie Pinko government and the other one is made by the Free Citizens of one of our Capitalist Allies. The point would be made that the reason they are now using the bigger ones is because the Commie Pinko bosses pay cheaper wages to their workers than do the Capitalist Allies, and they also use lower quality, cheaper materials. Echostar of course, being the greedy cheapskates we all know them to be, are getting the cheaper one without regard to social responsibility or quality. The people debating this would then proceed to insult each other's political affiliation, gender, race or other characteristics until a moderator was forced to close the thread or take disciplinary action against someone.

But this discussion is in "Dish Network - Technical Discussions" so we won't debate that here. :D

Last edited:
Pepper said:
If this discussion were in "The Pit" there would be great, emotionally charged debate over the fact that one is manufactured by the Exploited Masses of a Commie Pinko government and the other one is made by the Free Citizens of one of our Capitalist Allies. The point would be made that the reason they are now using the bigger ones is because the Commie Pinko bosses pay cheaper wages to their workers than do the Capitalist Allies, and they also use lower quality, cheaper materials. Echostar of course, being the greedy cheapskates we all know them to be, are getting the cheaper one without regard to social responsibility or quality. The people debating this would then proceed to insult each other's political affiliation, gender, race or other characteristics until a moderator was forced to close the thread or take disciplinary action against someone.

But this discussion is in "Dish Network - Technical Discussions" so we won't debate that here. :D
ROFLMAO! :D :haha

have used both sizes, had problems with both sizes, and have 1 of each size in my own setup... but performance wise haven't really noticed a difference. I think you get a bad one every once in a while with both sizes....

I have both sizes too. As far as how they work, I can't see any difference. I prefer the smaller as they fit better in my receivers rear area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)