DPP44 Switch Grounding

intrac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
In looking at the Dish recommendations for grounding, they don't show the switch being grounded even though it has the connections on it for grounding.

Should it be grounded? The sat inputs all pass through a ground block ahead of the switch.

Opinions may vary, but aside from the DPP33, no switch can be used as a NEC approved ground.

I believe you may have mis-read the question. The OP stated that the system was grounded before the switch. It sounds as if they are wondering if the DPP44 should be grounded as well. In my opinion, it can't hurt to do so, if it's close to the ground block, but I have not seen or heard anything to say it is necessary to do so.

The reason I asked, the DPP44 has ground connections on it, yet I see nothing in the DPP44 literature.

I believe you may have mis-read the question. The OP stated that the system was grounded before the switch. It sounds as if they are wondering if the DPP44 should be grounded as well. In my opinion, it can't hurt to do so, if it's close to the ground block, but I have not seen or heard anything to say it is necessary to do so.

Yes. You're right. I misread the OP. :)

But with that said, I wouldn't take the chance of multiple grounding. Why risk the potential for a floating ground?

If the ground blocks are between the dish and the switch, you are probably better off. This would be more ideal as it places the expensive switch behind the ground block so any surge would hit that block first and probably trash all of its connections, taking the brunt of the surge, hopefully leaving the DPP44 intact.

The ground blocks are between the switch and Dish LNBs.

So I gather it won't hurt to ground the switch also.

Thanks.

The ground blocks are between the switch and Dish LNBs.

So I gather it won't hurt to ground the switch also.

Thanks.

the switch is already grounded. the ground path is thru the braiding of each coax cable running from the output of that switch to the chassis of each receiver, then thru to the ground lug on the power cable of the reciever to your electrical system.

not only that, but a DPP44 with its power inserter is also grounded thru the inserter power pack electrical plug to your electrical system.

a groundable switch would only replace the ground block to drain stray voltage from your dish antenna.

in your case its not necessary.

Last edited:
the ground path is thru the braiding of each coax cable running from the output of that switch to the chassis of each receiver, then thru to the ground lug on the power cable of the reciever to your electrical system.

Some Dish receiver power cords don't have a grounding plug (500 series), that's why the system must always be grounded elsewhere. Preferably ground blocks but I just ground my DPP44 switch. Not certified but grounded nonetheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)