DTV calling it quits (more or less)

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
As a Dish fan and also authorized retailer for the last 20 years, it pleases me to see we made the right choice (not that we didn't know that already). We sold both for nearly 20 years, but always sold 95+% Dish Network. It was better equipment at a lower price, sold itself. Dropped DTV a few years back when they started enforcing their rule that you couldn't sell both.

I get "TV" in general is changing drastically, and who knows where Dish will be in 5 or 10 years, but they are here now, and strong. There is already a trend of people going back to more traditional "TV" services, they are tired of having to subscribe to 10 different streaming services to get all they want...

Charlie will NEVER buy them ....
He's too tight and would be lost with a company that large.
Not that att is doing anything positive with them.

I'll keep my D* till I am forced to abandon ship, but I don't see that happening in the next 5-10 years.
Of course they may be sold by then and thats a whole other story.

D* will be around till at least 2030.

Reactions: 907TECH
As a Dish fan and also authorized retailer for the last 20 years, it pleases me to see we made the right choice (not that we didn't know that already). We sold both for nearly 20 years, but always sold 95+% Dish Network. It was better equipment at a lower price, sold itself. Dropped DTV a few years back when they started enforcing their rule that you couldn't sell both.

I get "TV" in general is changing drastically, and who knows where Dish will be in 5 or 10 years, but they are here now, and strong. There is already a trend of people going back to more traditional "TV" services, they are tired of having to subscribe to 10 different streaming services to get all they want...

It is hard to tell the way streaming is going. Also Dish may purchase DTV in time. It also depends on where the high speed internet goes too. If the new satellite internet outfits get going, high speed should be available about anywhere at the lower price. I still have Dish as I like the line up and the price is fair.

Charlie will NEVER buy them ....
He's too tight and would be lost with a company that large.
Not that att is doing anything positive with them.

I'll keep my D* till I am forced to abandon ship, but I don't see that happening in the next 5-10 years.
Of course they may be sold by then and thats a whole other story.

D* will be around till at least 2030.
He doesn't have to buy them. Out of the 3 million subs that DTV lost in the last year, how many do you think came to Dish for free?

Except they're not.... Dish gained subs in Q3 last year and minimized losses in Q4 and as navychop posted, compared to DTV, hemorrhaging is not exactly correct
If you compare apples to apples, yes they are ..
Just because they haven't lost as many, they started with about half the subs.

D* has been dropping subs for many years, but they have a much larger amount of subs to start with.

If you compare apples to apples, yes they are ..
Just because they haven't lost as many, they started with about half the subs.

D* has been dropping subs for many years, but they have a much larger amount of subs to start with.
That makes absolutely no sense. DTV lost millions in the last year. Dish lost 100K in the last Quarter but gained 94K in the previous quarter. DTV is a failing business that has zero diversification. Dish has branched out into so many other areas and is constantly updating it's business model and future growth.

A few years ago, this might have been an argument but I've been saying for over a year, DTV is a dying company that will probably not exist in a few years and everything points to that being true.

That makes absolutely no sense. DTV lost millions in the last year. Dish lost 100K in the last Quarter but gained 94K in the previous quarter. DTV is a failing business that has zero diversification. Dish has branched out into so many other areas and is constantly updating it's business model and future growth.

A few years ago, this might have been an argument but I've been saying for over a year, DTV is a dying company that will probably not exist in a few years and everything points to that being true.
You really think that DISH is on the upswing and doing great things ?

Both Sat companies are losing subs at an alarming rate.

DISH has branched out because of the struggling Sat business.

I give ATTs satellite service a couple of years before going on the market. That gives ATT time to shift was many subscribers as possible to their streaming service, assuming they can make that a viable product. That’s so they have enough subscribers to still have some clout with the content providers.

The problem right now with that plan is that the ATT streaming offerings are just not competitive. They keep insisting their competition isn’t YouTubeTV, Hulu+Live and others, but the reality is, those are exactly what they are competing with whether they like it or not.

Interestingly, for all the losses cable/sat have been taking, some reports say that only about 40% of those cutting that cord are going to the replacement services, instead just getting a mish-mash of other services like Netflix, Hulu and a whole slew of ad-supported free services.

You really think that DISH is on the upswing and doing great things ?

Both Sat companies are losing subs at an alarming rate.

DISH has branched out because of the struggling Sat business.

Same could be said for ATT, but their losses have been much more significant. And their streaming offerings aren’t exactly getting rave reviews from anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts