DTV calling it quits (more or less)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I give ATTs satellite service a couple of years before going on the market. That gives ATT time to shift was many subscribers as possible to their streaming service, assuming they can make that a viable product. That’s so they have enough subscribers to still have some clout with the content providers.

The problem right now with that plan is that the ATT streaming offerings are just not competitive. They keep insisting their competition isn’t YouTubeTV, Hulu+Live and others, but the reality is, those are exactly what they are competing with whether they like it or not.

Interestingly, for all the losses cable/sat have been taking, some reports say that only about 40% of those cutting that cord are going to the replacement services, instead just getting a mish-mash of other services like Netflix, Hulu and a whole slew of ad-supported free services.
It's already on the market and the reviews for AT&T Streaming are not good. I haven't seen or looked for statistics, but I keep seeing that a lot of chord cutters are not satisfied with streaming services. I know for me, I'm waiting until streaming is more refined before making the change.

It's already on the market and the reviews for AT&T Streaming are not good. I haven't seen or looked for statistics, but I keep seeing that a lot of chord cutters are not satisfied with streaming services. I know for me, I'm waiting until streaming is more refined before making the change.

ATT’s streaming has a couple problems. The biggest being the financial end. Channel selections and packages are mostly OK in comparison to other offerings. But the financial obligations are certainly not!

Take the lowest level of the newest offering, actually take the lowest 2 levels, Entertainment & Choice. They are around the same thing that YouTubeTV and Hulu+Live are offering. YTTV is $50/month, and Hulu+ starts at $55/month though I suspect most subs to it would upgrade it a bit.

ATT Entertainment is also $50/month. But that’s only 1st year of a 2-year contract, a contract that no other streaming service uses. It, and all other levels almost double in the 2nd year which makes the only sensible way to consider it be subscribe, cancel at the end of the 1st year and pay the ETF. Makes that $65/month for only a year. Not too horrible.

The other problem is the box. It is a requirement for the new service and is one of the things ATT is using to help justify their self-described “Premium” label. Yet the box itself isn’t getting good reviews either. Seems it does fine with the ATTTV stuff but not so good with the other apps or app switching.

That makes absolutely no sense. DTV lost millions in the last year. Dish lost 100K in the last Quarter but gained 94K in the previous quarter. DTV is a failing business that has zero diversification. Dish has branched out into so many other areas and is constantly updating it's business model and future growth.

Umm, AT&T has a lot more then just DirecTV
AT&T-
DirecTV
AT&T Now/TV/Watch
Warner Bros. Film and Television Productions
Cable Channels-TBS
TNT
CNN
Headline News
truTV
Cartoon Network
HBO
Cinemax
The CW (50%)
Broadband
Cell Phone Service
5G
DC Entertainment
and a lot of legacy content like Warner Bros. Films, Hanna-Barbera, older TV shows like Friends, Big Bang and a lot more that would take up a page here.

Dish
Dish Network/Echostar
Sling
Boost Mobile
Maybe some form of 5G

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Jimbo
Umm, AT&T has a lot more then just DirecTV
AT&T-
DirecTV
AT&T Now/TV/Watch
Warner Bros. Film and Television Productions
Cable Channels-TBS
TNT
CNN
Headline News
truTV
Cartoon Network
HBO
Cinemax
The CW (50%)
Broadband
Cell Phone Service
5G
DC Entertainment
and a lot of legacy content like Hanna-Barbera for example

Dish
Dish Network/Echostar
Sling
Boost Mobile
Maybe some form of 5G

Umm, I said DTV, not AT&T

As for DIsh,
Dish Video
Dish still has interests and installs Hughesnet and Viasat
The 5G Spectrum still being developed
3g NB-IoT networking
DishWireless via the Sprint/T-Mobile merger
Samsung Appliance Division
Amazon
Ring
Google Nest
Polk Audio
Klipsch Audio
Sonos Audio
Best Buy Appliance
Carrier Cooling
Asurion Affiliations
Leviton and KB Products
PC Richard and Son
Dish Ontech
Smart home connections - lights, plugs, etc
Audioquest Products
Linksys and Google Mesh Networking
Google Fiber

Should I keep going?? There's a lot more I can add

Umm, I said DTV, not AT&T

As for DIsh,
Dish Video
Dish still has interests and installs Hughesnet and Viasat
The 5G Spectrum still being developed
3g NB-IoT networking
DishWireless via the Sprint/T-Mobile merger
Samsung Appliance Division
Amazon
Ring
Google Nest
Polk Audio
Klipsch Audio
Sonos Audio
Best Buy Appliance
Carrier Cooling
Asurion Affiliations
Leviton and KB Products
PC Richard and Son
Dish Ontech
Smart home connections - lights, plugs, etc
Audioquest Products
Linksys and Google Mesh Networking
Google Fiber

Should I keep going?? There's a lot more I can add

Except DirecTV is owned by AT&T, Dish owns Sling for example.

And the vast majority for Dish you named are companies that Dish works with, not owned by.

AT&T works with a lot of companies also, way too many to name.

Except DirecTV is owned by AT&T, Dish owns Sling for example.

And the vast majority for Dish you named are companies that Dish works with, not owned by.

AT&T works with a lot of companies also, way too many to name.

No, those are Dish affiliations.
DirecTV is an affiliation of AT&T that happens to be on the market, has not had a tech. upgrade on their equipment in years, is losing millions of subscribers - and dollars and is now only being offered to rural customers. They'll be a memory in a few years and Dish will still be a fortune 50 company.

DirecTV is an affiliation of AT&T that happens to be on the market, has not had a tech. upgrade on their equipment in years, is losing millions of subscribers - and dollars and is now only being offered to rural customers. They'll be a memory in a few years and Dish will still be a fortune 50 company.
My wife told me a couple of days ago our neighbors said they just switched to Direct TV. They were on AT&T U-verse. I don't know the reasons they have switched, haven't talked to them. I don't know if I will ever find out the circumstances on why they did such a dreadful move. I wished they would have asked me about doing such a thing but they didn't. I would guess AT&T was behind such a thing like this. Really sad.

And do you not know what the definition of affiliation is, here-https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/affiliation

DirecTV is owned by AT&T, Dish has a affiliation with Google.

and Dish has lost millions also-

14 million Sat. subscribers in 2014
9.40 million Sat. subscribers end of 2019

And as far as a tech upgrade, when was the last time Dish launched a new Satellite, I believe it was 8 years ago, do they have any on order, not that I can find, neither company are introducing new boxes for their Sat. Services.

Both DirecTV and Dish( and the rest of Traditional Providers) are dying a slow death, things that will hasten it are providing faster Broadband to the rural population, if StarLink works out it will be lights out for Satellite Provided Television.

Last edited:
My wife told me a couple of days ago our neighbors said they just switched to Direct TV. They were on AT&T U-verse. I don't know the reasons they have switched, haven't talked to them. I don't know if I will ever find out the circumstances on why they did such a dreadful move. I wished they would have asked me about doing such a thing but they didn't. I would guess AT&T was behind such a thing like this. Really sad.

That's not a surprise. AT&T has been trying to move people off U-verse to D* for years, as satellite services are cheaper to operate. However, they've since discovered that streaming services like DirectTV/AT&T Now are even cheaper to operate. So, they're trying to encourage people to move to those now.

Went to the Outdoor and Travel Expo yesterday at the Hamburg Fairgrounds, near the front by the main entrance there was a DirecTV booth. I know Satellite Solutions goes to a lot of these events, I’m not sure if it was them or not, but the focus was on satellite not IPTV. I was across the aisle waiting to talk to a guy about bear hunting in Maine and overheard some conversations. I guess they didn’t get the memo about only offering the service to rural customers, since there was a new customer sign up from a guy who lives in Amherst who currently has Fios and is not happy with Verizon after having multiple service interruptions in a relatively short amount of time.

Not even going to get into the affiliations thing. DirecTV is not an affiliate of AT&T, they are owned by AT&T at the moment and AT&T is a much more diversified company than Dish.

Dish
Dish Network/Echostar
Sling
Boost Mobile
Maybe some form of 5G

You forgot Blockbuster and Terrestar. A couple of real winners there that everyone is jealous of :D

That's not a surprise. AT&T has been trying to move people off U-verse to D* for years, as satellite services are cheaper to operate. However, they've since discovered that streaming services like DirectTV/AT&T Now are even cheaper to operate. So, they're trying to encourage people to move to those now.
Wife says they got a new Direct TV dish antenna. So I take it they got the satellite service. How could that happen if AT&T is wanting their U-verse customers to switch to the Now services?

DTV is going to lose NFL Sunday Ticket next year.

Dish has a great foothold in the 5G roll out.

They both suck. They both still rip you off.

Actually, no one fights to keep prices as low as possible as Dish does. That is why you see channel take downs, like Fox Sports you mentioned(yes it is back).

You may not like the traditional "TV" model, but Dish has the best equipment and the lowest prices among the TV providers, not sure what more you expect....

It’s not back where I live and I’m referring to the RSN

As for them fighting for you? Spare
Me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Can you please post some information on the rule about not being able to sell both Dish and DirecTV? I can name 5 local retailers off the top of my head that sell both right now.
2) There is no evidence one way or the other DirecTV is losing NFL Sunday Ticket after this year. Stop spreading FUD
3) The Sinclair owned Fox Sports Net RSNs are not back and you know that
4) Where can I access this '5G' that Dish has a great foothold of and what device can I access it with?

Went to the Outdoor and Travel Expo yesterday at the Hamburg Fairgrounds, near the front by the main entrance there was a DirecTV booth. I know Satellite Solutions goes to a lot of these events, I’m not sure if it was them or not, but the focus was on satellite not IPTV. I was across the aisle waiting to talk to a guy about bear hunting in Maine and overheard some conversations. I guess they didn’t get the memo about only offering the service to rural customers, since there was a new customer sign up from a guy who lives in Amherst who currently has Fios and is not happy with Verizon after having multiple service interruptions in a relatively short amount of time.

Not even going to get into the affiliations thing. DirecTV is not an affiliate of AT&T, they are owned by AT&T at the moment and AT&T is a much more diversified company than Dish.

You forgot Blockbuster and Terrestar. A couple of real winners there that everyone is jealous of :D
I can understand that, considering where you were, your not going to sell IPTV at a place thats about Camping per say, mobile situations, so selling D* is much more understandable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)