Dual Hopper Intergration (From Team Summit)

I am right on the page with king3pj. To me integrated means both hoppers appear as one cohesive unit.

This just seems to make it easier to flip between them.

Me too... without a unified recording list I just see it as a disaster. Set the timers up and it spreads them across the hoppers. Only one PTAT would be needed. The other hopper would watch the PTAT from the first hopper.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Me too... without a unified recording list I just see it as a disaster. Set the timers up and it spreads them across the hoppers. Only one PTAT would be needed. The other hopper would watch the PTAT from the first hopper.
I do believe in the future you will be able to set by default where the PTAT folder is so you don't have to select the correct Hopper each time.

so basically everyone who said Dish should offer a six tuner DVR is right? since it's not really seamless....

You can access all 6 tuners now. ;)

I guess you are right lol but I what I obviously meant to ask is are you saying that the MoCA in our current dual hopper installations is not capable of unifying the tuners so any tv can see all 6 tuners without switching which hopper they are linked to?

But it is integration for most people who WATCH TV. ;)

We are NOT your normal customer.

My non techy wife would have the receivers in the backyard pool if I put the system of 2 hoppers in front of her. This is just all too confusing for the average Joe...or should I say average Joey. :)

Hey, as a first step, i'll take this. As soon as this is live, i will upgrade (integration was the one thing i have been holding out for). I still hope they continue to refine and add auto load balancing and sharing a single sling adapter as future enhancements.

The moca still has a few things it needs added to it... such as using it to transmit the OTA tuner to the other Joey's so they can watch live OTA TV.

This is one of the reasons why the OTA tuner is only Single Tuner.

However its not to say that things won't get better over time, they just want to get the features in there first and then work on improving things within the limits they have. They are not going to pop these things in and say "ok they are in we are done with that." lots of refinement coming. :)

That soundss great John but your missing the big piece of the puzzle and that is dealing with the aspect of MoCA, some of the limits are based on the MoCA spec.

Of course MoCA 2 takes care of these issues, but we are still 2 or 3 years away from seeing any MoCA 2 boxes from anyone.

Not buying this...MOCA 1.1 supports 175 megabits with 16 devices. Plenty of room to do the sharing and such.

A unified recording list could easily be done. One hopper would be the master hoppa and drive the show instructing the slave hoppa on what to record. The joeys would check each hopper seamlessly for a tuner when needed and the programming would be in one big list with a search option if needed.

I'm not quite sure where MoCA comes into play at all, I mean, all MoCA does is allow for IP transport over coax. The only upgrades that MoCA 2 has are higher bitrates. If it is true that Hopper has some limitations that don't allow for seamless integration, I would believe that it is a limitation inherent to Hopper moreso than it would be to MoCA.

I just hope that this is the first step towards seamless integration. Will be pretty sad if they don't ever accomplish this, because DISH will have to yet again release a new system that actually gives the TRUE WHDVR experience.

Not buying this...MOCA 1.1 supports 175 megabits with 16 devices. Plenty of room to do the sharing and such.

MoCA website says Echostar licensed an 8 channel configuration, don't know how much flexibility Dish has to work with this.

MoCA website says Echostar licensed an 8 channel configuration, don't know how much flexibility Dish has to work with this.

Well isn't that the max of simultaneous streams over the network anyways? I thought it was a max of 2 hoppers with a max of 3 joeys per hopper which would be a total of 8 streams. I know you could get a 3rd hopper but it couldn't be connected to the other 2.

The moca still has a few things it needs added to it... such as using it to transmit the OTA tuner to the other Joey's so they can watch live OTA TV.

This is one of the reasons why the OTA tuner is only Single Tuner.

So the OTA tuner will only work with the Hopper? Must've missed that. Any chance the tuner can also be connected to the Joey's USB port? (Sorry don't mean to get off-topic)

Single OTA tuner...wow.. two steps forward, one step back. I thought the Hopper system was really finally getting somewhere. Boy I was wrong. Just seems like a big thrown together mess of old technology with apple style brainwashing of marketing.

Single OTA tuner...wow.. two steps forward, one step back. I thought the Hopper system was really finally getting somewhere. Boy I was wrong. Just seems like a big thrown together mess of old technology with apple style brainwashing of marketing.

I will never use OTA because of PTAT. Sure I would gain my PBS and CW in HD but we don't watch those channels anyways. With PTAT I would think 1 OTA tuner would be fine for most people and if it isn't you can plug one into each hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)