Dual Layer DVD's

whicky1978

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Clarksville, Tennessee
I saw a Dual Layer (DL-DVD) today at Wally World. (Walmart). It had nearly 10 gigs. I was wondering if this kind of DVD would be good for recording HD on DVD's. I've heard from others hear that many DVD recorders can't do HD very well. My CyberHome DVR-1200 has componant imputs for HD recording. With HQ and a DLDVD I could get a 2 hour movie on a DVD.

dfergie said:
I dont think your CyberHome will write to the DL-discs and the component inputs are likely for 480p the new HDDVDs will be close to 30 gigs. I Burn with a dvd dl writer in one of my pc's, I can only get about 8.5 gigs to a disc...
I see. It takes a special dvd burner. Although my dvd recorder is new, the model has been out for a while. Is 480p typical DVD quality? I might only get an hour of that on a DVD?

480p or 480i output the typical4.7 gig dvd will hold 4.25gig worth of programing... you should have 4 options of quality with the highest 1 hr the next 2hrs depending on your recorder. Some will record up to 6 hours on a single layer dvd but the pq is like vhs on slp...

dfergie said:
480p or 480i output the typical4.7 gig dvd will hold 4.25gig worth of programing... you should have 4 options of quality with the highest 1 hr the next 2hrs depending on your recorder. Some will record up to 6 hours on a single layer dvd but the pq is like vhs on slp...
Mine records up to 8 hours. I tested it at this level and the 6 hour one. The 6hour one seems to work good enough. the SEP(?) 8-hour option might work for some things.

I'm holding out for those 200 MB disks and their players. No point in buying something that is going to be obsolete in a few years.

Stargazer said:
I'm holding out for those 200 MB disks and their players. No point in buying something that is going to be obsolete in a few years.
Well, I don't know about obsolete. I'm using mine to record my favorite shows so I don't miss them.

Maybe the dual layer burner would end up being the standard burner eventually before the newer disks make it to market and be an option for a while kind of like how the floppy and cd's still stuck around for a while.

whicky1978 said:
I saw a Dual Layer (DL-DVD) today at Wally World. (Walmart). It had nearly 10 gigs. I was wondering if this kind of DVD would be good for recording HD on DVD's. I've heard from others hear that many DVD recorders can't do HD very well. My CyberHome DVR-1200 has componant imputs for HD recording. With HQ and a DLDVD I could get a 2 hour movie on a DVD.

8.5 Gb is fine for a lot of "HD" material off of D* Most of the movies and such run under 8.5 GB. The DVD +R DL's at Walmart run about $11.88 for a 3 pack.

Last edited:
I buy my DVD+R blanks from these folks, great prices. I have a dual-layer burner on my new computer but haven't tried making a back-up copy of my DVD's (most if not all are dual layered now). I just got through burning all my mini DV tapes to DVD+R & they work great!
Due to possible coasters I only buy DVD+R made by Taiyo Youden or any others made in Japan (alot of info about this issue around):

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-plus-r-dual-double-layer-section.html

Barney

So what are you saying the advantages are of +R DL as opposed to -R DL discs? I have used the Verbatim -R DL for nearly a year without 1 coaster because they were listed as the most compatible with home CES players. What does the +R get me; cause the Verbatim can be tough to find and pricey?

Last edited:
charper1 said:
So what are you saying the advantages are of +R DL as opposed to -R DL discs? I have used the Verbatim -R DL for nearly a year without 1 coaster because they were listed as the most compatible with home CES players. What does the +R get me; cause the Verbatim can be tough to find and pricey?

Im not sure what the difference is. +R is just what works for me. My burner only burns +R DL and all of my equipment, Linkplayer2 and JVC dvd player play them. If I had equipment that played only -R then thats the kind of burner Id look for.

My Older Panasonic DVD recorder (E-30) totally freaks when I put one in as well as a newer Panasonic player in my Ht room, I have a Phillips DivX/Dvd Player that never misses a beat on them as well as a cheap cyberhome in one of my campers that does well on the DL's...

dfergie said:
My Older Panasonic DVD recorder (E-30) totally freaks when I put one in as well as a newer Panasonic player in my Ht room, I have a Phillips DivX/Dvd Player that never misses a beat on them as well as a cheap cyberhome in one of my campers that does well on the DL's...

Ive heard from some at DDB that Apex is cheap and will play anything

charper1 said:

$2.20 per disk here at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817131163