Dumb noob question about dish 301, I think? Is it IR?

area123

Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
I ordered my dish about 4 years ago and I remember when I ordered I got an upgraded reciever that had some extra outputs and a UHF remote. I think it was a 301, is that likely 4 years ago?

Anyway, my question is, does the dish 301 reciever (if that's what I have) accept IR commands? I want to use an IR blaster with it (usb-uirt) to set it up on my htpc. But I can't get it to accept the commands from the blaster, and my remote won't train the blaster becasue it is uhf so I had to use a preconfigured IR file for dish network recievers.

as a sidenote, I also have a dp501 about 2 years old and my remotes were about the same except for the dvr stuff on the 501 remote. They both controlled each other until I changed some settings. Now I can't find where I changed the settings in order to see if there is a setting to switch to IR commands.

Any ideas are apprecited.

A DP301 receiver is an IR remote. Four years ago you could have gotten a 4900 which is a UHF remote. The 4900/301 and 501 will also accept IR signals so your blaster should work. Your problem is probably the address is set to some number other than address 1. Pull your Smart Card out and leave it out for about a minute the system info screen will come up at the bottom should be your address.

boba said:
A DP301 receiver is an IR remote. Four years ago you could have gotten a 4900 which is a UHF remote. The 4900/301 and 501 will also accept IR signals so your blaster should work. Your problem is probably the address is set to some number other than address 1. Pull your Smart Card out and leave it out for about a minute the system info screen will come up at the bottom should be your address.

I remember that I had to change something in order to use both remotes in the same house. Is that the remote address? But that shouldn't cause the IR not to work should it?

But I will try that tonight. I searched and couldn't find the remote setup screen that I remember using to change it, maybe the software upgrade changed the menus around enough to confuse me.

area123 said:
I remember that I had to change something in order to use both remotes in the same house. Is that the remote address? But that shouldn't cause the IR not to work should it?
YES it would as most third party IR controls only use address 1

n0qcu said:
YES it would as most third party IR controls only use address 1

That is good and bad. Good becasue if it works, my ir blaster might work, but bad becasue my 510 (or 501) is in the same room. But I guess I could change the 510 to a different address so it wouldn't interfere w/ my reciever connected to the blaster.

I can't find on the reciever how to change the remote address anymore. I did it a few years ago but can't seem to locate that menu anymore. Do you happen to know how to get to that menu?

much appreciated.

Bring up the sytem info screen of the receiver you want to change the address on. use the front panel buttonsthen on the remote for that receiver press and hold the sat button until all the mode buttons flash. pick a number from 1 to 15 then presss the # button, sat button will flash three times now press the record button and the address on the sys info screen should change to match what you just entered in the remote. you are done

n0qcu said:
Bring up the sytem info screen of the receiver you want to change the address on. use the front panel buttonsthen on the remote for that receiver press and hold the sat button until all the mode buttons flash. pick a number from 1 to 15 then presss the # button, sat button will flash three times now press the record button and the address on the sys info screen should change to match what you just entered in the remote. you are done

My dish 4900 (what I thought was a 301) doesn't have a record button. It is just the standard black dish remote. Is the record button part of the address change process or is it just a way to verify the change?

thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts