dvd drecoder on TV2

lwh1993

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I have tried to hook up a dvd recorder on my TV2(Dish722) but it doesn't work(weird picture- the onscreen display text fades and moves , but no picture and audio)

My connection I was using was:

TV was connected via coaxial(satellite signal).

TV A/V out going into DVD recorder via composite

DVD recorder - a/v out with S video and RCA stereo composites(white and red).

Should I just use the tuner on the dvd recorder and split the signal?

Thanks,

lwh1993

Does the 722 have an S-Video out like my 622 from TV1?

That would give you the best picture I think.

If you're using HDMI on TV1 to your TV, in addition to running the S-Video to your recorder, you'll have to run the red/white audio cables as well.

If using component on TV1 to your TV, put a splitter on the audio outputs to run those to your DVD recorder as well.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but if you do anything from the TV2 outputs, I don't think you'll get the picture quality, or widescreen format, to your recorder.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but if you do anything from the TV2 outputs, I don't think you'll get the picture quality, or widescreen format, to your recorder.
This doesn't matter as the DVD Recorder only records at 480i. I've never tried the TV1 composite\s-video outputs, but they should work. However, if the TV has composite out and is viewing HD OTA, the recorder will record widescreen 480i from that composite connection (TV out to DVD Rec in). The TV manual did state that if HDMI was used, the composite out was disabled.

Last edited:
TV2 does not have an S-Video out, which does give the best picture on a DVD. I use the S-Video out from tuner 1 in to my DVD burner and the picture is great. Biggest difference is you do not see the dreaded "red crawl", or something that looks like dots crawling up the right side of red images. As far as recording from the RF output of your 722, I have done that too with my 622 and GoVideo DVD recorder without experiencing the problems you are having. The difference may be in how you have the tuner set up in your DVD recorder. Do you have the source type set as antenna or cable? There is a very slight difference in how channels 3 and 4 are tuned between the cable and antenna settings. Try changing that and see what happens.

That is correct. TV2 only has letterbox and zoom modes. If you want to record stretch mode (which will properly fill out a widescreen TV) you must record off of TV1.

I use the S-Video connection on TV1. With the aspect ratio set to "normal" (receiver is set up for a 16x9 TV) I get a widescreen DVD that fills the screen when played back on a widescreen TV.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I guess I misspoke. What I meant was the actual TV that I get the TV2 signal on, is the TV I'm trying to connect a DVD recorder. So I was trying to use the TV's A/V out to connect to the DVD recorder, but when I did this I got the picture issues.

My solution was just to split the coaxial signal to the DVD recorder's tuner. Although a lot of DVD reocrders now don't include the tuner, so they rrquire the A/V composite connection.

Has anyone noticed that many of the movies on PPV are now Copy Protected and you're not able to record them on to a DVD-R? I have 2 different DVD Recorders and sometimes when I try to record on my newest one, an LG, I get a "Copy Protected" message. So I switch to the other recorder, a Phillips, and it will sometimes record, but lately it appears that it's recording but there will be an empty disc when it's finished the recording time.

I never used to have an issue with the Phillips recorder, but lately, it's almost every movie I try to record. I am running this through my Denon 3805 (soon to be a 3808CI once I have some time to install it :D). I have one hooked up to VCR1 and the other to VCR2, so I can record into either one or both at the same time.

I have 2 622 receivers, so I don't really want to switch to the external HD method until Dish eliminates the restriction on the number of times you can change the receiver with the same hard drive. I know they said they will eventually remove the restriction, but we've all seen Dish promise things that have never materialized. I can't understand, if they have said they will remove it, why don't they just change the flag from 3 to 999, or whatever character limit there is for that field.

Dan

I've never tried to record a PPV to DVD but more often than not I have the same issue trying to make a DVD from a premium movie channel. No can do and I also have a Phillips DVD recorder. Whenever I've tried and couldn't do it I was on an HD channel (I know it wouldn't be HD). Don't know if it'd work if it was an SD channel.

Ed

BTW, I'm recording to +R.

Bad Switch?? New Install...

Can I get 2 local stations ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)