dvd recorder and dish 510

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tnguy

Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
can anyone recomend a good dvd recorder that will work with a dish 510?

thanks for any reply

does the video.quality suffer when you transfer the video to the panny? is the sound in pro logic?

You will have degradation because the signal is going from digital to analog via the s video but if you have a sd set it will hardly be noticable unless the that you are recording form is highly compressed. I record from hd downrezzed myself, so quality is better than the standard def.(but also have a 501 and have recorded stuff) And it will be dolby 2.0 , I hear a recorder is coming out later this summer that will allow 5.1 recording. Panasonics record on -r and dvd-ram media only, some others record rw's in both the + and - modes.(dvd ram allows editing out of undesirable material as does the hard drives on those with hard drives)

I have a 721 with a Cyber HOme dvd recorder from Walmart. I got it for like $249.00 4 months ago. Of course it is now on sale for $219.00. It records all my shows I want to make a copy to dvd and the sound plays as 5.1 dolby digital whether it is or not. It sure beats a vcr copy of the same thing.

I use the medium setting which allows 2 hours per dvd and it looks as good as from the satellite. It also puts out my satellite picture through component outputs to my hd tv which then upconverts to 1080i. The only draw back is that I can't use the digital T link for audio with my satellite receiver . The shows in true dolby digital like on Hbo and Showtime etc, doesn't match the with the video track. So I just use the T link from the dvd recorder and play everything live as pcm. I have my 721 set to pcm also so the sound is consistent through the rca audio cables to the dvd recorder. A small sound sacrifice but I also have a hd 811 receiver and I have it set for both pcm /dolby digital.

To clarify the sound on the dvd recorder makes the dvd copies on play back in dolby digital 5.1 sound. It doesn't do live sat tv in dolby digital sound only pcm. Sorry if that confused ya'll.

thanks guys!!!to tell ya the truth i dont know which way to go...pc tv/fm card or dvd recorder..anyone know anything about tv cards for the computer?

tnguy said:
does the video.quality suffer when you transfer the video to the panny?...

Not much. It is barely noticeable, even if you are looking for it. It is a lot less noticeable than the difference between the PQ of a bit-bucket PVR such as your 510 (terrific) and the PQ of a standalone PVR such as Tivo or Replay (not so terrific).

TyroneShoes said:
Not much. It is barely noticeable, even if you are looking for it. It is a lot less noticeable than the difference between the PQ of a bit-bucket PVR such as your 510 (terrific) and the PQ of a standalone PVR such as Tivo or Replay (not so terrific).
I was using a Radeon.
Last night I was going thru some dvds I burned from my panasonic(copys from ram discs) and comparing with dvds I made from my Replay thru dvarchive-review-tmpg dvd author. The ones from the Replay had a lot less artifacts and the color was better. Both were downconverts from Cbs-hd.

Not scientific enough to support Replay as better or worse (too many variables). We don't know where the artifacts really came from or whether the variance in the source material was a factor. Variable source material can produce even more wildly variable quality on a DVDR or a PVR, both of which are in the mix, making this evidence, at least as stated, less than empirical.

A controlled experiment such as having the same live feed side-by side on a Replay and a 501 tells the true tale, especially when viewing both good and poor source material. Of course the receiver feeding the Replay must have equivalent PQ to the 501, such as a 301.

I've seen the controlled experiment, and the results leave no doubt.

I wonder if the TV Guide interface on that Philips DVDR is what we'll be seeing on our Dish DVR's, once they get NBR up and running? After all, they're supposed to be using the same TVG/Gemstar technology. Maybe they'll use it for non-DVR EPG's, as well.

FYI, that 2nd Philips model upscales to HDMI AND Component Outputs. I'm VERY interested in it.

TyroneShoes said:
Not scientific enough to support Replay as better or worse (too many variables). We don't know where the artifacts really came from or whether the variance in the source material was a factor. Variable source material can produce even more wildly variable quality on a DVDR or a PVR, both of which are in the mix, making this evidence, at least as stated, less than empirical.

A controlled experiment such as having the same live feed side-by side on a Replay and a 501 tells the true tale, especially when viewing both good and poor source material. Of course the receiver feeding the Replay must have equivalent PQ to the 501, such as a 301.

I've seen the controlled experiment, and the results leave no doubt.
feed came via downrezzed hd super video from a 6000 :)

GaryPen said:
I wonder if the TV Guide interface on that Philips DVDR is what we'll be seeing on our Dish DVR's, once they get NBR up and running? After all, they're supposed to be using the same TVG/Gemstar technology. Maybe they'll use it for non-DVR EPG's, as well.

FYI, that 2nd Philips model upscales to HDMI AND Component Outputs. I'm VERY interested in it.

Be careful, it may be capable of upscaling on the component, but most current upscaling players will not upscale to the component if the content is protected.

dfergie said:
Used an ati card for awhile, for me the dvd was much better.

I use an ATI 8500 dv for my 3rd dvr and it works great and it also captures HD signals. The quality that you get depends on what quality you record at. I have 2 160gb hd's so I always record at a high bit rate and I would say that the quality of the 8500 is as good as the 721 on SD and of course the HD is killer maybe the best I've seen although I've only seen 3 or 4 different HD set up's at my friends houses.

If you have component out of your TV then you can run that output to the 8500 and record it that way or manually from the 721 to the 8500 and the PQ is quite acceptable. You just have to keep in mind that all of this is from my prospective and every one else will have their own prospective basically because none of us ever sees thing the same way.

Bob

hi guy's..after reading all there replys a thought came to mind..when the 510 saves a program..if the movie etc is copyrighted will it come out of the 510 that way?

So far, Dish hasn't activated any copy protect flags on any outputs. If they had, you might not even be able to transfer programs to tape. A DVD recorder will refuse to record a protected source. (I believe this type of recording is considered a right under fair use)

I'm not sure if the boxes have the capability to activate protection (like macrovision).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts