DVR 622 Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr_J

Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading my 721 to a 622 and I have a few questions.

1. Will the unit function with only one Satellite cable? (I know that I will be able to use only 1 tuner that way.)

2. Does it always record in HD? Or can I select that I want this HD program recorded in SD?

Thanks,
John

If you have Dish Pro Plus LNBs and/or switch (like the DPP44) then yes, a single cable to the receiver is adequate. It comes with a "separator" that sends the signals to both tuner inputs so you can indeed use both! You can even diplex your OTA antenna signals onto that same cable, so all 3 tuners could be made operational from a single lead-in!

It records whatever you're receiving. I'm not aware of a feature to "downrez" an HD program to record in SD, but maybe that's there. (It would certainly pack a bunch more into the HDD...!) Maybe someone has a more definitive answer.

I love my 622, had it almost a year. Be sure to give it lots of ventilation...!

Welcome, BTW...

PS - Here's a link to the on-line 622 User's Guide for your reading pleasure...!

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/user_guides_and_manuals/receivers/vip622/index.shtml

Last edited:
Best bet in HD recording is to record from the SD alternate channel only. Latest version of software for 622 has HD mapping meaning HD and SD channels are right next to each other on program guide. Example, record ESPN channel over ESPN HD channel.

1. You can feed two tuner with a single cable, but your satellite LNB (The thingy on your satellite dish) must be of a certain model that supports this duel tuner mode. I think if you do a switch test you can see if its a DishProPlus LNB. (Someone with a 721 will have to explain how).

2. The DVR will record in whatever mode the TV channel is on. So shows on HD channels are recorded in HD, and shows on SD channels are recorded in SD. The 622 however does have SD outputs (to hook up to a regular TV) and you can watch both HD and SD shows on the regular TV.

It is a Dish 500 dish with Dish Pro LNB. I ran a checkswitch on of the 508 models. It says a DP-Quad-4.

Does this mean that I can support the both tuners on the 622 with a single cable?

Thanks,
John

Well, the answer to your question is still yes, but you need Dish Pro PLUS equipment. That won't be a problem. When the installer comes he'll most likely swap-out the Dish and LNB you currently have for what is needed. You need to receive at least 3 satellite locations for the full SD and HD service, using typically a Dish1000 to receive the sats. at 110/119/129. Depending on your geographic location (which you should specify in your header when asking questions like these!) you might instead need a separate dish to receive 61.5. In that case they'd probably still use your existing Dish500 with a DPPTwin LNB to receive 110/119 as it is now, and add a wing dish with DP LNB for the 61.5 slot. The DP feeds into the DPP and a single cable from there to the 622 is all that's needed. Also, a second cable can be run from the DPPTwin to a second receiver. If you have more than 2 receivers then a switch will be needed and the rest of the configuration will likely be different. Keep in mind that the 622 is essentially 2 in one. One tuner will service your "nearby" (Dish's term!) HD receiver, and a second tuner is available for another output that can be independent and will provide SD and downconverted HD to a second remote location. That can be your whole-house cable system. Anything that's recorded can also be sent to both locations.

Last edited:
Location is Central NJ.

I currently have 3 receivers: 721, 508 and 501. I switchcheck says I can see 110 and 119. I guess I need the 129 for the HD.

So unless I have the PLUS, I would not be be able to support the single cable to 2 tuners. Correct?

Thanks,
John

Correct. It's the DPP technology that can "stack" the signals going to two different tuners onto one cable without interference.

I think central NJ will require the 2-dish solution. The tech will certainly know, or your could call Dish Tech Support for an advance answer. The national HD content that's on 129 is also on 61.5, so that's not an issue. The choice generally comes down to which one you can best "see" from your location. If 129 is an option they'll usually go that route since it's less complicated to install. But if you have HD locals available to you, and you sub to them, those will be on one sat but not the other, and that would make your decision for you. You can check what is on each sat. here:

http://www.dishchannelchart.com/

I do not have a lot of faith in the answers I get from Dish these days. I called about a problem with my 721 program guide dropping to 2-3 days. They said I needed to have the LNBs replaced and sent a tech out here to do that. When that didn't work, they tried to talk me into an "upgrade" to a 625 since there was a problem with the 721. It was not until I found this forum that I found EVERYONE who has a 721 is having the program guide problem because of a software release.

Not sure I would believe anything they have to say.

Thanks for all the very useful info and VERY quick answers.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)