DVR Events erased by faulty upgrade

Rockstar

Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
:( I have a 501 and got the usual message today that a "free upgrade" was available. When the upgrade completed it erased all of my recorded events. They also changed the DVR Events Screen. Called customer service, absolutely useless. Just got lame excuses "we're sorry" over and over again.
Imagine if Microsoft did this to your hard drive. I'm totally disgusted with Echostar, I may go back to cable.

You've never seen a Microsoft upgrade trash a computer? It doesn't happen as often as it used to but I've seen it happen on way too many occasions. :smug

NightRyder

Oh Boy Here it Comes. Rockstar what software program are you currently using? P300 or P301? I have said it before. My 510's work great with P300. I don't want or need P301. Even if I set my receivers not to accept an upgrade eventually I'll have to take it.

ByrdWatcher said:
Oh Boy Here it Comes. Rockstar what software program are you currently using? P300 or P301? I have said it before. My 510's work great with P300. I don't want or need P301. Even if I set my receivers not to accept an upgrade eventually I'll have to take it.

I wouldn't get too excited ByrdWatcher, my 501 took the upgrade and my 10 hours of recorded shows are fine. I have'nt lost a recording in over 3 1/2 years. Does it happen? Yes, but it is the exception not the rule. To lessen the chance of problems preform a front panel reset once a week until your receiver updates then once after, and always keep your DVRs on a good UPS.

NightRyder

NightRyder, I've seen too many upgrades crash a system, I was referring to Microsoft remotely accessing your system and erasing your hard drive. No, I've never experienced that. :no

Byrdwatcher, I'm using P301. You should be concerned, contrary to NightRyder's advice, since I've been doing the power-on rest procedure weekly (or more often) and still had the problem. The only answer to be on the safe side is to record to DVD or tape (ugh!) any DVR events BEFORE accepting an upgrade.
Mistakes happen, but obviously their testing for this upgrade wasn't sufficient.

Rockstar said:
NightRyder, I've seen too many upgrades crash a system, I was referring to Microsoft remotely accessing your system and erasing your hard drive. No, I've never experienced that. :no

Ever hear of Automatic Updates? :rolleyes:

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
I wouldn't get too excited ByrdWatcher, my 501 took the upgrade and my 10 hours of recorded shows are fine. I have'nt lost a recording in over 3 1/2 years. Does it happen? Yes, but it is the exception not the rule. To lessen the chance of problems preform a front panel reset once a week until your receiver updates then once after, and always keep your DVRs on a good UPS.

NightRyder
Back when I first started with DishNetwork I had three 301's which I had run each to my home telephone line at my own time and expense. Thats what I was told to do by DishNetwork. I got used to the caller id function. When DishNetwork decided to upgrade my 301's the caller id failed. I called customer support/tech support and was informed that it was a known issue and would be fixed soon in the future. Well I replaced two of my 301's with 510's and am happy with them. The remaining 301 to this day still has the nonfunctioning caller id issue. I am of the opinion if it's not broke don't fix it. The 510 is a stable box which does what it is designed to do and does it well. I don't want or need P301. I have looked at what upgrades P301 is for and am of the opinion that it is not neccesary. P.S. Now if DishNetwork want's to provide Name Based Recording(which was promised) I am more than willing to take a chance on their software upgrades.

ByrdWatcher said:
Back when I first started with DishNetwork I had three 301's which I had run each to my home telephone line at my own time and expense. Thats what I was told to do by DishNetwork. I got used to the caller id function. When DishNetwork decided to upgrade my 301's the caller id failed. I called customer support/tech support and was informed that it was a known issue and would be fixed soon in the future. Well I replaced two of my 301's with 510's and am happy with them. The remaining 301 to this day still has the nonfunctioning caller id issue. I am of the opinion if it's not broke don't fix it. The 510 is a stable box which does what it is designed to do and does it well. I don't want or need P301. I have looked at what upgrades P301 is for and am of the opinion that it is not neccesary.

What I am trying to say is that we have a total of one report of lost recordings (with P301) between here and DBS Talk, one, that's it. One report that happened to coincide with the update. I have had a 501 since they first released them and have lost recordings a total of one time, and yes it was related to a software update, but it happened to every 501 at the time. Lost recording happen occasionally on some E* DVRs and are totally unrelated to any kind of update. Did the update directly cause the loss of recordings or just expose an existing problem? Right now the bulk of evidence points to the later. Does it hurt to be cautious? Not at all, but let's not go chicken little over one isolated incident.

NightRyder

ByrdWatcher said:
P.S. Now if DishNetwork want's to provide Name Based Recording(which was promised) I am more than willing to take a chance on their software upgrades.

Now that's the one that scares me, I would just as soon they forget it.

NightRyder

Most of the important stuff on my 510's have been recorded on DVD. DVR recordings should be looked at as temporary being the nature of a hard drive. With that said I am happy with the current version P300. I am not overly concerned about loosing any content on my 510's.( however I do have a wife that might be a little upset) My concern is as previously related too...... DishNetwork upgrades as in my expierence can cause problems that did not exist before.ie mess up my stable boxes.

ByrdWatcher said:
Most of the important stuff on my 510's have been recorded on DVD. DVR recordings should be looked at as temporary being the nature of a hard drive. With that said I am happy with the current version P300. I am not overly concerned about loosing any content on my 510's.( however I do have a wife that might be a little upset) My concern is as previously related too...... DishNetwork upgrades as in my expierence can cause problems that did not exist before.ie mess up my stable boxes.

Agree. I wish they would just leave the 50x series alone. :yes

NightRyder

I had a strange occurrence a few weeks ago with my 510. When I canceled my HD service, they dumped all my programming and I had to go through tech support to get it back. When I got off the phone with them, I noticed we lost half the recordings on our 510. That was the first time I've lost recordings, so I thought at the time the two were related.

NightRyder said:
What I am trying to say is that we have a total of one report of lost recordings (with P301) between here and DBS Talk, one, that's it. One report that happened to coincide with the update. I have had a 501 since they first released them and have lost recordings a total of one time, and yes it was related to a software update, but it happened to every 501 at the time. Lost recording happen occasionally on some E* DVRs and are totally unrelated to any kind of update. Did the update directly cause the loss of recordings or just expose an existing problem? Right now the bulk of evidence points to the later. Does it hurt to be cautious? Not at all, but let's not go chicken little over one isolated incident.

NightRyder
Check the thread from Blockisle9, "first trouble".

Rockstar

Rockstar said:
Check the thread from Blockisle9, "first trouble".

Rockstar

That's a 522. Completely different platform/software from the 501,508,510 series.

NightRyder

Hey Night Ryder, as of this morning before I left for work mine still on P300. Think they may have stoped the rollout of 301? Now that I said something it will be there when I get home. Oh well and the beat goes on.

ByrdWatcher said:
Hey Night Ryder, as of this morning before I left for work mine still on P300. Think they may have stoped the rollout of 301? Now that I said something it will be there when I get home. Oh well and the beat goes on.

No. I saw a couple of posts yesterday where they just got the update. It really looks like Dish has slowed the software roll-out pace across all the receiver models. The poor beleaguered 522 shows 5 active software versions, that has to be a record for Dish.

NightRyder

522 probably will never get completely fixed. Almost got one to replace one of my 510's. Glad I didn't. Wonder if the 625 is any better? Called DishNetwork some time ago and was inquiring about getting one of the 522's under one of thier upgrades. They wanted to take both my 510's and replace it with one 522. unh unh!

ByrdWatcher said:
522 probably will never get completely fixed. Almost got one to replace one of my 510's. Glad I didn't. Wonder if the 625 is any better? Called DishNetwork some time ago and was inquiring about getting one of the 522's under one of thier upgrades. They wanted to take both my 510's and replace it with one 522. unh unh!

The 625 is running the same software as the 522 so I expect it would have the same issues. I was excited when they first announced the 522 but then they added the stupid VOD fee and that ended any thoughts I had of getting one. With all the problems the 522 has/is having, Dish's stupid fee decision actually worked in my favor. :)

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts