DVR Install Question...

scott99a

Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
I've searched the forum, but still haven't found exactly an answer, so maybe someone can help me out.

I currently have analog cable and cable internet. I want to switch to Dish, but need to know answers to a couple of questions.

Can I keep my cable internet connection?

Do I have to run new cable through the walls for a dual hdtv tuner? (I've got a two story house and I don't think fishing another cable through the walls to the first floor is possible. I know TIVO require two lines, but didn't know if dish equipment is different.)

Any help much appreciated. I didn't want to ask customer service at Dish...seem a little incompetent.

scott99a

yes, you can keep the cable internet, just make sure you tell the installer that you have it first.

when i got my 625, they didnt drill new lines, they took the one line and added these things to each line so it would split to each input/output.

Thanks for the response...relief not having to cancel cable internet. I think have read something about a switch. I guess this would elimate the need for dual cable run.

scott99a said:
Thanks for the response...relief not having to cancel cable internet. I think have read something about a switch. I guess this would elimate the need for dual cable run.

A DPP Twin LNB supports up to two 2 tuner receivers, so a switch will not be necessary unless more than two receivers are desired.

However, a DPP Twin supports up to three satellite locations with the third satellite inputted from another Dish. If you need to see more than three birds, you will need to use a switch.

The Question is not what lnb will support a dual tuner receiver. The Question is it possible to run a dual tuner receiver off of 1 coax cable through a switch. Because he doesn't want to fish new lines through walls. correct?

Yes...this is the question... Which brings another concern. If I hook up the HD DVR with 2 inputs from 1 cable line do I have to run an output line to the second TV which is in the next room? I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to have to fish more line through the walls.

Thanks for the responses..this is very helpful...

The dpp44 switch and the use of combiners and separators will allow you to use one cable to the receiver to carry all the signals. Two signals to the receiver and one back out to the other set all through one cable. Pretty neat, huh....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)