DVR is at 80% full

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My younger sister who is a doctor always records the SD version of programs rather than the HD because she can fit a lot more programs on her Hopper3. I hooked up an external hard drive but she claims that it takes to much effort to transfer programs to the external hard drive. When I visit her I cringe when I see all the SD programs but she claims that the content is all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack this thread but when I go to my EHD it takes it 30-45 sec to populate! Is that generic to the H3 or would a different HD improve the speed of loading the programs? Thanks

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not to hijack this thread but when I go to my EHD it takes it 30-45 sec to populate! Is that generic to the H3...
My 6TB (maybe 1/4 full) populates instantly. That behavior does not seem normal to me. This is a USB3 Seagate.
... would a different HD improve the speed of loading the programs? Thanks
I can't imagine what is causing this. (But dweber does below.) I fear for the health of your EHD.

Last edited:
Not to hijack this thread but when I go to my EHD it takes it 30-45 sec to populate! Is that generic to the H3 or would a different HD improve the speed of loading the programs? Thanks

All 3 of my external hard drives populate in 1 second. I don’t see any speed difference between the internal hopper 3 drive and the external drives. It sounds like your external drives are powered down and must spin up when accessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My internal hard drive on my Hopper 3 brings up content instantly and when I go to my first 2TB external drive, I count to ten and it shows content, probably about 7 seconds. The same for my 2nd 2TB external drive. Then if I return to either of the external drives, the contents are instantly there. The first external drive is 17% full and the second drive is 31% full.

I was just thinking I really need to replace my external hard drive thats only 1tb and a lot fuller than I like and worse its only USB 2.0 and way over 15 years old! So Dish use to have a few recomended hard drives. I even checked their store and only found this! First can you really have 6TB? And zero mention of it being self powered?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-13 025121.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-13 025121.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 58
I was just thinking I really need to replace my external hard drive thats only 1tb and a lot fuller than I like and worse its only USB 2.0 and way over 15 years old!
I was going to say that USB2 is fine for an EHD, but then I got to thinking... 7 streams (if somebody was watching a recording on 6 Joeys and the H3 simultaneously... Maybe you do need USB3.
First can you really have 6TB?
Yup; I have one as I mentioned above. The limit is supposedly 7TB, which is an odd ;) number. Some here claim that's a total possible for 3 disks plugged into a Hopper simultaneously. I can tell you that I added my old 1.5TB EHD from my 722 to my 6TB and it took over and then I couldn't see my 6TB! Bookworm says he's added a 2TB disk to his 6TB disk and it works, but he's the only person I know who has been able to break the 7TB total limit.

Last edited:
I have over a $200 in Dell rewards and they have a good selection good price and from what I have experienced fantastic customer service and support. (Or at least use to?)
I thought about getting a couple small ones at first and using them to separate movies into like Christmas in one and Military in another.
The other way buy one BIG one and be done. No switching back and forth.

I think I will go with a WD MY BOOK DESKTOP HARD DRIVE 8TB. I figure that big you lose 500GB and just call the rest a loss but at an overall cheaper price. I hear anything above the 7GB it just sees or allows the 7GB. I also hear if you partition it then delete the partition not used it will also accept that.

I highly doubt but hopeful in the future folders can be created and used, larger drives used,

I have over a $200 in Dell rewards and they have a good selection good price and from what I have experienced fantastic customer service and support. (Or at least use to?)
I thought about getting a couple small ones at first and using them to separate movies into like Christmas in one and Military in another.

I think I will go with a WD MY BOOK DESKTOP HARD DRIVE 8TB. I figure that big you lose 500GB and just call the rest a loss but at an overall cheaper price. I hear anything above the 7GB it just sees or allows the 7GB. I also hear if you partition it then delete the partition not used it will also accept that.

I highly doubt but hopeful in the future folders can be created and used, larger drives used,

WD is the way to go.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Yes, the limit on the 1st main EHD is 6TB, I have three other EHD's (both WD's). One is 1 TB for a total of 7TB available when it's on the buss, and I have a 2TB drive for a total external storage of 8TB so 8TB is definitely doable. There are other threads here about how I did it, I think it was because I bought an off-brand surveillance (5600 RPM instead of 5400) or maybe the Amazon enclosure I put it in.

So, I can have the 6TB drive always plugged in and swap between other three.

2TB - Broadcast shows and specials that I may want to watch again, including news, State of the Union addresses, etc.
2TB - Christmas (god help me) movies for the wife. That lil sucker is almost 70% filled of 2TB. Hallmark will be the dead of me yet! ;)
1TB - Concerts, Specials, etc.

So normally I have the 6TB and the 1st 2TB (general shows or stuff to watch later and delete) plugged in for a total of the 8TB.

If someone doubts it I can screen shot the transfer screens showing 6TB of usable and available space on one and 2TB of usable and available space on the other.

From what I've read, you can get away with a 7TB drive but if you plug in a single 8TB drive it will not recognize it. You can try it and see if any of the many firmware fixes may have changed that.