DVR question??

Rafaelccs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Fort Lauderdale
Hello guys:

I don't know if this is the correct area for this post (I hope it is) I apologize if not.

I would appreciate if anyone here could explain me the basic or main difference between TIVO and Dishnetworks DVR technology?

In other words, I have been told TIVO learns and records the programming the regular user likes or has set up in the past to record (learns) this TIVO does automatic.

I guess both download a 21 day guide or so....

Does the Dishnetwork DVR learn also? or it needs to be feed with the commands? (will it record your favorite programms without your command and record the programming you regularly watch or have recorded in the past)

This Dishnetwork technology applies also to the Vip 211K (external drive)?

Thanks in advance for your input.....

Thanks guys, I really wasn't aware of pricing.....
I just was searching for software (operation) difference.
BTW I have a friend with TIVO and he told me he paid service for life for something like $300 or so....

Dish guide is 9 days or so. Over that the programming changes for a variety of reasons so itt really doesnt matter.......

Both are name based, so you can set up a search for simiar items

Having used both I prefer the dish one plus the sjkip buttons maker it easier to avoid commercials:)

Dish guide is 9 days or so. Over that the programming changes for a variety of reasons so itt really doesnt matter.......

Both are name based, so you can set up a search for simiar items

Having used both I prefer the dish one plus the sjkip buttons maker it easier to avoid commercials:)

Nice function that commercial skipping.....
How about learning?
Does Dish DVR learn the users taste for programming?

TiVo learns through "suggestions" being recorded and you either watching them or not. I always turned the suggestions off, didn't like it. I didn't know it had a 21 day guide, my DirecTiVo had 14, and my Dish 622 and 722 have a 9 day guide. Dish doesn't record suggestions, but it does have a wishlist or DishPass, that searches for shows based on characters, actors, titles you enter... It doesn't "learn".

I like the Dish DVR's interface a lot, picked it up right away. I like the feature where I can set it to "auto tune" a show instead of recording it, for when my Mom watches the kids I can set up her programs and she doesn't get lost in the channels, since she has Comcast.

TiVo learns through "suggestions" being recorded and you either watching them or not. I always turned the suggestions off, didn't like it. I didn't know it had a 21 day guide, my DirecTiVo had 14, and my Dish 622 and 722 have a 9 day guide. Dish doesn't record suggestions, but it does have a wishlist or DishPass, that searches for shows based on characters, actors, titles you enter... It doesn't "learn".

I like the Dish DVR's interface a lot, picked it up right away. I like the feature where I can set it to "auto tune" a show instead of recording it, for when my Mom watches the kids I can set up her programs and she doesn't get lost in the channels, since she has Comcast.

Thanks, know I undrestand a bit more their operation....

It always blows me away that Tivo has a fanbase, I found it awkwardly "inserted" into the whole system and an annoying extra piece of hardware. Channel changing was slowed down. (Years have passed ,maybe new ones are nice?) The Dish DVR is tightly integrated and makes for a seamless package. I know two people who ditched their Tivo for Dish DVR and for both of them it was love at first sight on the DVRs.

If you are considering TiVO, then you ought to also consider the new MOXIE HD box from Diego. While it is more expensive to purchase, there is no monthly fee and it will work with cable and FiOS. MOXIE also has payment options for its box if you can't afford the big price tag for its box. Reports are that while MOXIE may have a few features that are a bit more cumbersome to use compared with TiVo, and MOXIE may be considered just barely not quite as "perfect" as TiVo, MOXIE seems more reliable in not having the well documented problems that TiVo HD boxes are experiencing with Cable channels. That will be explained below. Also, the MOXIE is currently the only DVR whose interface is truly HD. The soon to be released Dish ViP 922 will also have their interface in HD, as well. Be aware that the MOXIE HD has NO Over The Air tuners. It will work only with cable or FiOS, and cannot tune to any OTA digital channels that are available using a TV antenna in your home or on your roof.

I own both TiVo Series 3 and Dish HD DVR's, and I always start by saying that TiVo in not a bad product; it is a pretty good product. However, overall Dish DVR's are better.

Well, first of all, even the TiVo fanboys complain about the ads that are inserted on just about every screen. While the TiVo interface looks the most "pretty," there is no picture in menu, and both guides (only a maximum of 14 days, but lately even less than that) fill up almost the entire screen and both the TiVo Live Guide and the TV Guide Grid Guide are terrible, IMHO. Dish has a picture in guide and a picture in nearly all the menus, so I can still hear and see the news as I set-up recordings and adjust or check my timers. With TiVo, all the action STOPS, while I miss the news. That does bother me about TiVO because I feel I can be doing 2 things at one time.

Overall, I do prefer the Dish guides and menus and user interface to TiVo's, but, yes, the TiVo, searchlight backgrounds and colors are very pretty.

As for the learning what you like feature and using the Thumbs Up and Thumbs down to help the service learn what you like to watch, I found it much more of a pain and shut off the auto record on this feature, too, as the other poster said. You can still go to the menu screen to view what TiVo thinks you would like to watch and select individually a show to record, if you want, but I found the box only found ONE show I was really interested in seeing after nearly a year of use and thumbing out of countless suggested recordings. It's highly overrated and TiVo used this information to sell to other parties, a touchy subject among even TiVo lovers. It's more of a gimmick, frankly.

All TiVo HD boxes have only a 30 minute buffer while Dish has a 1 hour buffer. There is some lag time for some TiVo menu screens to load, while not always annoying, it sometime takes longer than other times it does drive me a bit mad, while Dish menu and guide screens are instant. Dish has a 300X Rew and FFwd, while TiVo has only a maximum about 60X, and I really cant stand it when I want to get from near the start to near the end of a recording because it takes TiVo too long to do this. Also, I have never figured out how to "Start from the beginning" on TiVo when I am pretty far into a recording. Dish will easily allow this from a button to select, and this situation occurs for me a good many times.

TiVo has an atrocious Warranty that is pretty much just 90 days. If your box need repair, you get to pay for it, and it is not cheap. With Dish, you get a 1 year warranty, and at the end of that you can add Dish Home Protections Plan for $5 a month and even ANY piece of Dish equipment goes bad, including all leased and owned boxes, they will replace them FREE of any additional charge and NO SHIPPING costs, if you have the DHPP.

Your Lifetime Service of TiVo that pay a ton of $$ for, is only good for the lifetime of the BOX. Meaning if the box dies and you don't fix it, but get another box, you have no lifetime service anymore.

Now, there are a few things TiVo does do better than Dish. One is the extremely powerful Search function on TiVo that will search the guide and on line content, and there are a lot more categories to use in the Search functions. I should add that the soon to be released Dish ViP 922 will have pretty much the same powerful search capability of TiVO, so that will no longer be to TiVo's advantage. The 922 search will also search the internet for content of TV series and Movies in its archives, but it still won't have access to any of the 3rd party internet providers, such as Amazon, mentioned in the following paragraph. Dish HD DVR's also have TV shows and Movies available for download from the web if connected to your broadband service. Of course, you need to connect your TiVo to your broadband service if you want the internet content.

Also, TiVo does have much more varied on line content than Dish including Amazon.com for a library of classic and new TV shows and movies, and Netflix, and a lot of free content from the web like The Onion, Revision 3 (tech shows like the old Tech TV with the same personalities), How to, and whole lot more.

You should also know that all the HD TiVo boxes are having terrible problems with cable TV's analog channels by showing a gray screen, and many have reported problems with digital switched video solutions (a small device) that is supposed to allow tuning to these channels. Oh, and this is after the often frustrating experience of the cable company installing the cable cards necessary for encrypted, especially digital, channels and some cable cards failing or the cable company or not installing them properly. These are well documented problems posted on websites. Of course, it varies by cable company and region, but there a ton of posts on the TiVo forums with TiVo lovers lamenting that they may have to give up TiVo in order to record their shows. I wonder if the cable companies are doing something to contribute to this problem. Right now, the only reliable signal the TiVo can receive is the OTA digital spectrum. Those channels and TiVo's functioning with them seems to be pretty flawless, but a lot of people want to record the cable or FiOS channels, as well.

Also, even though the TiVo has 2 QAM (cable TV) tuners and 2 OTA tuners, it can only record 2 streams (channels) at one time, while the Dish HD boxes can record 2 sat channels and one OTA channel--or 2 OTA channels on the722K--all at the same time for a maximum of 4 HD channels recording at one time.

It is fair to say, that while the Dish ViP DVR is better than TiVo's HD boxes, TiVo is certainly better than the cable company DVR's as far as interface and capabilities. If TiVo could solve the gray screen on analog cable channels and the problems with switched digital channels, and the funky cable card irritations, people wouldn't have to surrender to the crappy cable co DVR's.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Well Thanks a lot DishSubLA, your explanation does help a lot.....
I really appreciate your input as well as the other members that have taken their time to explain me on this matter.

Rest Regards.

I was a tivo user for about 15 years. most recently, having two Series 3 HD's, and a TiVo HD.

couple of things I like better about Tivo than my 722ks':

1. while I am watching a program on Tivo and press record, it will begin the recording from the beginning of the buffer. With my 722k if I want that, I have to rewind my live program all the way back to the beginning of the buffer, then hit record.

2. while fast forwarding with Tivo, I can hit the skip key, and it will jump ahead in 15 minute increments. with the 722k, even though the 15 minute hash marks are there, they best you can do is 300x FF, and have to watch the entire program running by until you get to you where want to be.

Overall, Tivo can't touch the 722k. Not even a close race, at all. the way 722k's handle external storage is a dream. Tivo combines internal and external HD's into a single image that can't be separated. if you lose either, you have lost your programs.

The Tivo ads were driving me crazy toward the end before I disconnected them and moved to Dish. I was paying a subscription, and don't think I should have to deal with avoiding commercials for a paid service..

the learning aspects of Tivo were a silly marketing ploy in my opinion-not very smart AI at all. I turned it off after it automatically recorded "suggested" programs that I would never watch for any reason.

I do miss the 14 day program guide. 9 days is not too bad with Dish, I can live with it.

I finally had to ditch Tivo when my cable company started using SDV(switched digital video), where they switch some HD channels in and out on the bandwidth based on usage. it's the only way they can continue to add HD content. Tivo has no clue what to do with SDV channels, so they gave me these really crappy Cisco tuning adaptors. they would reset constantly, stop working completely, preventing some recordings from getting made. after 5 months and countless tuning adaptors, I could not stand it anymore.

now, I have dish, two 722k DVR's, and can record 4 simultaneous HD programs on EACH one(2 satellite and 2 using my over the air antenna on my house for local HD content)....and with an external HD attached to each one. Life is good!!

I was a tivo user for about 15 years. most recently, having two Series 3 HD's, and a TiVo HD.

1. while I am watching a program on Tivo and press record, it will begin the recording from the beginning of the buffer. With my 722k if I want that, I have to rewind my live program all the way back to the beginning of the buffer, then hit record.
I'm not sure if this is in relation to what your talking about, but if you press record and choose "Options" then select "Record Entire Event", it'll record from the start of the program.

I'm not sure if this is in relation to what your talking about, but if you press record and choose "Options" then select "Record Entire Event", it'll record from the start of the program.

hey Michael, thanks very much for that! I had asked this question a couple of times before and not gotten this answer....

Jeff

2. while fast forwarding with Tivo, I can hit the skip key, and it will jump ahead in 15 minute increments. with the 722k, even though the 15 minute hash marks are there, they best you can do is 300x FF, and have to watch the entire program running by until you get to you where want to be.

Overall, Tivo can't touch the 722k. Not even a close race, at all. the way 722k's handle external storage is a dream. Tivo combines internal and external HD's into a single image that can't be separated. if you lose either, you have lost your programs.

The Tivo ads were driving me crazy toward the end before I disconnected them and moved to Dish. I was paying a subscription, and don't think I should have to deal with avoiding commercials for a paid service..

the learning aspects of Tivo were a silly marketing ploy in my opinion-not very smart AI at all. I turned it off after it automatically recorded "suggested" programs that I would never watch for any reason.

I do miss the 14 day program guide. 9 days is not too bad with Dish, I can live with it.

I finally had to ditch Tivo when my cable company started using SDV(switched digital video), where they switch some HD channels in and out on the bandwidth based on usage. it's the only way they can continue to add HD content. Tivo has no clue what to do with SDV channels, so they gave me these really crappy Cisco tuning adaptors. they would reset constantly, stop working completely, preventing some recordings from getting made. after 5 months and countless tuning adaptors, I could not stand it anymore.

now, I have dish, two 722k DVR's, and can record 4 simultaneous HD programs on EACH one(2 satellite and 2 using my over the air antenna on my house for local HD content)....and with an external HD attached to each one. Life is good!!

I forgot about the advancing 15 minute increments. Thanks. You are right about the Tivo immediately recording all that is in the buffer relating to that show with one press of the record, while in Dish you have to press record, select, Options and select "Record Entire Program" if it was tuned to that show when it started. If a one-hour show is over half through, TiVo can only save the last 30 minutes in the buffer resulting in only part of the program saved while Dish's 1 hour buffer allows for the entire program to be saved for a 1 hour show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)