DVR recordings burn to DVD

Ultra5240

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Franklin, IN
I have a 622 and would like to burn some of my favorite recordings to DVD so they don't take up all the room on my DVR. Does anyone know if it is possible first of all to hook up your 622 to a DVD burner and then to get a good quality pic and dolby digital sound. I know the HD stuff won't burn as HD unless I have a HD-DVD burner/player.

If you have any thoughts or experiences on your own setup please let me know. Thanks so much!

I'm using the Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-ES25S) with my 625 and a 211 and I can burn just fine with decent quality. I close the session and it plays in all the DVDs I have at home.

RandallA said:
I'm using the Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-ES25S) with my 625 and a 211 and I can burn just fine with decent quality. I close the session and it plays in all the DVDs I have at home.

Do you just hook it up via component and dolby digital connections? I'm kinda new to the DVD burning and all that and want to get the best quality that I can. Does it look like the recording on the DVR when you watch it or is the picture degraded?

No, I use the composite output for audio and S-Video for video and it looks just like the DVR playing. I don't see the picture degraded.

I still haven't seen a DVD recorder that has component and dolby digital inputs. Maybe the high end units have them.

Hook up the analog video. You can't copy digitally or from USB. But many folks copy in real time using the analog video connections with good success. I've never seen component input for recording on a DVD burner. The picture will be good, but not as good as from the DVR if you're copying HD down to SD.

I have a toshiba DR-4 (bought CHEAP from EBAY)

Video via S-Video and Audio via RCA.

While I lose multi-chanel / DD audio, I am able to retain the Anamorphic picture (if i set it to 16:9 in recording settings on the recorder) and the PQ in 1HR mode is very clean, and looks decent in 2 Hour mode (3 hour and more you really see the PQ degrade)

I'm very happy with this setup and the recorder was super cheap and plays back better than my original DVD player.

I swear by my Sony GX-7 and the Sony line's ability to do proper 16:9 flagging of widescreen material...it has great PQ and makes the most of the resolution available. I don't know why more DVD recorders (I think some Toshibas do 16:9 flagging well, too) don't make this a priority...to me its absolutely essential for good looking layoffs of HD content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)