DVR Service Fee and Leased Receiver Fee

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FSYoshi

Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but every thread seems to be a unique case somewhat different from mine, and I can't get the same story twice from customer service.

I currently have 2 receivers, a VIP-622 (leased) and an old 6000 (MPEG2 HD, which I own). I only get HD via Dish channels as I can't receive any OTA broadcasts where I live.

Both receivers are connected to the phone line, and I have 250 channels with an HD package.

Since 2006, I've paid the following fees, in addition to top250+locals, dishHD, HBO:
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 6.00
Again, I lease the VIP-622 and own the 6000 receiver.

I don't have DVR Advantage, because it seemed a long commitment for a < 3% monthly discount, as it was explained to me by customer service.

Until recently, I only had a SDTV hooked up to the 6000, so I didn't mind that it was no longer able to receive most of the HD channels. But now I have an HDTV hooked up to both receivers. I want to upgrade the 6000 to a VIP-211, so I can get the MPEG4 HDs that I'm getting on my VIP-622 receiver. I already have the signal distribution to pick up satellites at 110, 119, and 129 on both receivers.

One CSR told me that whether I lease or purchase the VIP-211, I would have to pay an additional $7/month "receiver fee", beyond what I'm paying currently, for the VIP-211, even though it is just replacing my current 6000.
Another CSR told me that my fees would stay the same as they are now if I purchase a VIP-211 and replace my 6000 with it, but it wasn't clear what she said would happen if I lease the VIP-211; I assume I'd end up paying a 2nd leasing fee.

My questions are:
- Does it make sense what fees I'm charged now?
- If I lease a VIP-211 to replace my 6000, will I then have to pay what I'm paying now, plus an additional leasing fee for the 211?
- If I buy a VIP-211 would you expect my fees should stay the same?
- Would there be a significant savings going to DVRAdvantage?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but every thread seems to be a unique case somewhat different from mine, and I can't get the same story twice from customer service.

I currently have 2 receivers, a VIP-622 (leased) and an old 6000 (MPEG2 HD, which I own). I only get HD via Dish channels as I can't receive any OTA broadcasts where I live.

Both receivers are connected to the phone line, and I have 250 channels with an HD package.

Since 2006, I've paid the following fees, in addition to top250+locals, dishHD, HBO:
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 5.98
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 6.00
Again, I lease the VIP-622 and own the 6000 receiver.

I don't have DVR Advantage, because it seemed a long commitment for a < 3% monthly discount, as it was explained to me by customer service.

Until recently, I only had a SDTV hooked up to the 6000, so I didn't mind that it was no longer able to receive most of the HD channels. But now I have an HDTV hooked up to both receivers. I want to upgrade the 6000 to a VIP-211, so I can get the MPEG4 HDs that I'm getting on my VIP-622 receiver. I already have the signal distribution to pick up satellites at 110, 119, and 129 on both receivers.

One CSR told me that whether I lease or purchase the VIP-211, I would have to pay an additional $7/month "receiver fee", beyond what I'm paying currently, for the VIP-211, even though it is just replacing my current 6000.
Another CSR told me that my fees would stay the same as they are now if I purchase a VIP-211 and replace my 6000 with it, but it wasn't clear what she said would happen if I lease the VIP-211; I assume I'd end up paying a 2nd leasing fee.

My questions are:
- Does it make sense what fees I'm charged now?
- If I lease a VIP-211 to replace my 6000, will I then have to pay what I'm paying now, plus an additional leasing fee for the 211?
- If I buy a VIP-211 would you expect my fees should stay the same?
- Would there be a significant savings going to DVRAdvantage?

I am not sure of exact figures, but there WILL be a fee for any new receiver. From what I understand, they will charge a lease fee if you lease a second receiver and an "Additional Outlet Fee" if you purchase the second receiver. The additional outlet fee has been $5. I don't believe that has changed, but I am not certain.

As for your questions, here is my take on them:
- Does it make sense what fees I'm charged now? Yes, you have a lease fee for the 622 (the second receiver) 6000 is your primary (no fee for the primary) and DVR fee for the 622 (the 6000 is not a DVR so no fee)

- If I lease a VIP-211 to replace my 6000, will I then have to pay what I'm paying now, plus an additional leasing fee for the 211? I believe you would have too, though they waive one lease fee (under certain circumstances and I don't know what they are). We have a 625 (that we own) and a 722 (that we lease). We have an additional receiver fee ($5.00 for the 625), We have no lease fee (ours is one of the ones where there is no lease fee) and no DVR Fee (I will explain this shortly).

- If I buy a VIP-211 would you expect my fees should stay the same? I believe your bill would stay the same, but I am not certain of that.

- Would there be a significant savings going to DVRAdvantage? This I feel I can answer. You would have the DVRAdvantage for AT200 for $49.99 plus 2 add-ons (HBO and AT250) for an additional $20.00. Plus your HD (either $10 or $20 depending on your package). You would definitely save one DVR Fee of $5.98. You may also save $4.99 on HBO (if it is currently $14.99 as you would have what they consider as 2 Premiums).

Hope that helps,
Geoff

- If I lease a VIP-211 to replace my 6000, will I then have to pay what I'm paying now, plus an additional leasing fee for the 211? I believe you would have too, though they waive one lease fee (under certain circumstances and I don't know what they are). We have a 625 (that we own) and a 722 (that we lease). We have an additional receiver fee ($5.00 for the 625), We have no lease fee (ours is one of the ones where there is no lease fee) and no DVR Fee (I will explain this shortly).

- If I buy a VIP-211 would you expect my fees should stay the same? I believe your bill would stay the same, but I am not certain of that.

Hope that helps,
Geoff

Thanks, Geoff, for the response.
I'm still very confused about the "waiving" of the lease fee on the first receiver. If I replace my 6000 receiver by leasing a new VIP-211, then I will have:
- VIP-622 primary 2-tuner receiver + DVR, Leased since mid-2006
- VIP-211 second single-tuner receiver (no DVR), New lease

I current have no contract commitments, and haven't upgraded anything since I leased the VIP-622 in mid-2006.

I have been told by two CSRs that every receiver will have a lease fee, so I would end up adding an additional $7/month if I dump the 6000 and put in a VIP-211 in its place.
A third CSR told me my fees would stay the same.
But I had no indication that any of the CSRs knew what they were talking about. I get recommendations such as "look in the contract and terms when you first signed up" (which was over 10 years ago, so that's a laugh), or "watch channel 101 for an explanation of your bill"....geez, these people are totally untrained.

And in these forums, I keep seeing people referring to a "waived lease fee for the first receiver", but I don't see anything on the Dish web site that says whether this is true. So this leads me to believe that this may have been part of some promotional agreement that I am NOT part of.
I'd really like to know if I qualify for this waived lease fee on one receiver.

It really pisses me off that Dish can't give me an accurate and simple answer, in writing, to "how will my monthly bill change if I replace my owned 6000 receiver with a leased VIP-211?". I suspect they purposely keep this obscure, hoping that they can get by charging people more than they should because everyone is too confused to understand exactly what they're being billed for and why. I know it probably gets complicated when they're running promotions all the time. But all of this makes me want to just jump ship and take advantage of some of those promotions from another source.

Is there anywhere to go for a definitive answer to this question? Or is the answer to keep pushing for something in writing, until hopefully I get someone from Dish that knows what they're talking about to respond?

Last edited:
Thanks, Geoff, for the response.
I'm still very confused about the "waiving" of the lease fee on the first receiver. If I replace my 6000 receiver by leasing a new VIP-211, then I will have:
- VIP-622 primary 2-tuner receiver + DVR, Leased since mid-2006
- VIP-211 second single-tuner receiver (no DVR), New lease

I current have no contract commitments, and haven't upgraded anything since I leased the VIP-622 in mid-2006.

I have been told by two CSRs that every receiver will have a lease fee, so I would end up adding an additional $7/month if I dump the 6000 and put in a VIP-211 in its place.
A third CSR told me my fees would stay the same.
But I had no indication that any of the CSRs knew what they were talking about. I get recommendations such as "look in the contract and terms when you first signed up" (which was over 10 years ago, so that's a laugh), or "watch channel 101 for an explanation of your bill"....geez, these people are totally untrained.

And in these forums, I keep seeing people referring to a "waived lease fee for the first receiver", but I don't see anything on the Dish web site that says whether this is true. So this leads me to believe that this may have been part of some promotional agreement that I am NOT part of.
I'd really like to know if I qualify for this waived lease fee on one receiver.

It really pisses me off that Dish can't give me an accurate and simple answer, in writing, to "how will my monthly bill change if I replace my owned 6000 receiver with a leased VIP-211?". I suspect they purposely keep this obscure, hoping that they can get by charging people more than they should because everyone is too confused to understand exactly what they're being billed for and why. I know it probably gets complicated when they're running promotions all the time. But all of this makes me want to just jump ship and take advantage of some of those promotions from another source.

Is there anywhere to go for a definitive answer to this question? Or is the answer to keep pushing for something in writing, until hopefully I get someone from Dish that knows what they're talking about to respond?

The answer is there will be a HD enabling fee ($6.00, the "lease fee" you're worried about) charged as you're adding an HD model receiver without DVRA. DISH doesn't respond to customer inquiries in writing, so you're wasting your time in trying to get as much. Customer promotions aren't as clear cut as people think mainly due to the fact that customers aren't necessarily charged the same from bill to bill. Thank all the Special-Ed customers for that.

The first receiver fee isn't "waived", it simply isn't charged. More specifically, you aren't charged an "additional receiver fee" for the first receiver on any account; it's only charged from the second up. This also applies to DVRA for HD units. CSR's can't calculate your bill without the computers and the computers don't take into account equipment you don't currently have on the account. You're asking them to calculate your bill by hand, and they don't know how, so they won't commit to anything.

You haven't done your homework, you haven't decided on a promotion, you're asking the seller to tell you what's best for you and criticizing when they refuse to; all of this over less than an hour's pay for a CSR. So cut down on the melodrama and just jump ship. You'll be back within a year.

If you buy the 211 then your fee's stay the same, if you lease it then there will be a lease fee, if you want to get a clear answer and talk to the right person about buying a 211 then I would talk to Claude at dishstore, he's an advertiser and supporter of this site and regularly posts on here as well as providers prizes for special events.

Zero237,

The OP asked a simple enough question about one of the most confusing billing statements I have ever grappled with in my life. I'm glad you "get it", but I for one find it nearly impossible to understand. I have two 622s, a 501, and a 508. The charges are there on the bill, but are not reconciled to a specific device, making it all guesswork.

And as for the suggestion he "just jump ship", do you work for Dish Network? I detect a similar customer service attitude.

Last edited:
If you buy the 211 then your fee's stay the same, if you lease it then there will be a lease fee, if you want to get a clear answer and talk to the right person about buying a 211 then I would talk to Claude at dishstore, he's an advertiser and supporter of this site and regularly posts on here as well as providers prizes for special events.

Thank you, Van! I will try talking with Claude about what qualifies lease fees to be waived, and whether I'd pay one or two of these if I lease a VIP-211 to replace my current owned receiver.

Also, my apologies for any excessive slams against CSRs. Just frustration about not getting consistent answers.

Zero237,

The OP asked a simple enough question about one of the most confusing billing statements I have ever grappled with in my life. I'm glad you "get it", but I for one find it nearly impossible to understand. I have two 622s, a 501, and a 508. The charges are there on the bill, but are not reconciled to a specific device, making it all guesswork.

And as for the suggestion he "just jump ship", do you work for Dish Network? I detect a similar customer service attitude.

I work for the Church of Scientology. And I just made three easy payments of $499,999.95, which means I am now at the stage where I am above mortal judgments and criticisms. :cool:

I work for the Church of Scientology. And I just made three easy payments of $499,999.95, which means I am now at the stage where I am above mortal judgments and criticisms. :cool:

That's all 1.5m will get you? I'd convert. If you were catholic that would be enough indulgences to send you straight to heaven--possibly even before death. ;)

The fees are getting really ridiculous. It takes forever to research into and they always are changing the rules. The CSRs dont know and they are paid to know. There used to be a really good sticky thread programming and fees on the dish network forum but it appears to not be there now. Since we all are not as great as Zero here is my best basic explanation.

If you lease a receiver it is called a leased fee and if you bought a receiver it would be an additional outlet fee. So basically you always get charged no matter if leasing or buying.

There is also a DVR service fee that is charged PER DVR box, so 2 boxes would be 2 fees. DVR advantage covers the fee for 1 box.

Dual tuners must be connected to a broadband or phone connection or there is another $5 fee per box. Single tuners do not have this requirement, not sure on a 612.

The old DIU promotion charged a lease fee for a HD DVR but the newer rules did not charge the fee. Thus the primary HD reciever should not have a lease fee but a second one would. This seems to be the most confusing as some people get charged and others seem to not be.

There is also a DVR service fee that is charged PER DVR box, so 2 boxes would be 2 fees. DVR advantage covers the fee for 1 box.

This is what i find the is most stupid thing E* has ever done have done with the crappy charges!!! This is without DVR Advantage. I have HD only with E* and Premiere with D*. But lets just say you have 4 units.

D* charges $5 or $6 (I forget, would have to find bill) for ONE TIME FEE FOR UNLIMITED DVR's and $4.99 per extra box.

4 HR21-700 DVR's it would be $4.99 x 3 in extra box fees and a flat $5 or $6 for the DVR fee so thats a total of $21 at the most before service fees.

Now with E*

4 622's it would be a DVR fee of $5.98 x 4 + Add. Box fee of $7.00 x 3 and thats $44.92 before service fees which is NUTS!!!!!!!

I called retention and told them its nuts and they have refunded me $5.98 for 3 Months. we will see what happens in 3 months when I call back to cancel service.:rolleyes:

Why cant just ONE company whether dish/cable/cell phone etc, go to a simple easy billing process? And as for the milking the cow comment, are we supposed to just sit there and take being charged excessively? Why CANT we try and work out a better deal for us as the CUSTOMER? Its Cheaper and easier for dish to work on keeping a customer rather than go out and get a new one. And its easier for me to work on a deal to stay rather than go get new service.

Here's hoping for one less milkin the cow...

You got that right!!! I'll milk it till its bone dry! I'm not going to pay OUTRAGEOUS extra fees. I paid $299 x 2 for my VIP622's and I'm NOT going to pay hidden fees that are just nuts. I would rather cancel which i fully intend to do once they stop giving credits! I guess you have a problem with peole milking the delas you can get as a new customer too?

In general I have a problem with the whole sale negotiation/victim theorem. I miss the good old days when people saw the price tag, bought the product, and walked away only to return when something new was available and they had the money for said new product. I'm tired of people taking advantage, and thinking they personally and alone are above everyone else.

You don't get to argue with the cashier at the Circle K about the price of the $0.99 Crunch bar because you don't think it has enough chocolate in it...

I'm a firm believer in business. You want a product, the seller offers a price, and you either pay it if you want the product, or you don't and walk away. All the additional pussyfooting around, threatening to cancel like a b*tch and criticisms when you aren't put on a pedestal wear thin after awhile... Customers are a dime a dozen. Pay the fee and be happy with the product (great product, or crappy product depends on YOUR choice and is not the fault of the seller, you bought it after all) or walk away. Either way, there's others willing to pay.

In either event, stop dancing back and forth making a big show of being between wanting something, and not in the hopes you'll be offered a better deal than everyone else. It wreaks of desperation (and an utter lack of self-respect/integrity), and unfortunately I see it nearly every day...

I respect those stubborn customers that stand up when they're overcharged fifteen cents. That I can understand. I don't understand customers that would sell themselves for a five dollar a month credit for six months. The cost of their integrity is then thirty dollars, and I guess I just keep hoping people are better than that.

Zero237,

Zero posts here and works for Dish.

And survived both.:D

In general I have a problem with the whole sale negotiation/victim theorem. I miss the good old days when people saw the price tag, bought the product, and walked away only to return when something new was available and they had the money for said new product. I'm tired of people taking advantage, and thinking they personally and alone are above everyone else.

You don't get to argue with the cashier at the Circle K about the price of the $0.99 Crunch bar because you don't think it has enough chocolate in it...

I'm a firm believer in business. You want a product, the seller offers a price, and you either pay it if you want the product, or you don't and walk away. All the additional pussyfooting around, threatening to cancel like a b*tch and criticisms when you aren't put on a pedestal wear thin after awhile... Customers are a dime a dozen. Pay the fee and be happy with the product (great product, or crappy product depends on YOUR choice and is not the fault of the seller, you bought it after all) or walk away. Either way, there's others willing to pay.

In either event, stop dancing back and forth making a big show of being between wanting something, and not in the hopes you'll be offered a better deal than everyone else. It wreaks of desperation (and an utter lack of self-respect/integrity), and unfortunately I see it nearly every day...

I respect those stubborn customers that stand up when they're overcharged fifteen cents. That I can understand. I don't understand customers that would sell themselves for a five dollar a month credit for six months. The cost of their integrity is then thirty dollars, and I guess I just keep hoping people are better than that.

Nice rant... now if Dish POSTED a firm price list I may have to agree with you.

That Crunch bar is CLEARLY marked at $0.99 EACH. It may even be three for $2.75 BUT that would be CLEARLY shown.

Dish prices? No one knows... if you can provide a FIRM price list for Dish with all the possible options/configs/details/etc. then post it. If not... well you figure it out.

I agree that some people do look for too many free ones, but I also think Dish brings it upon themselves. Most CSRs do not have a clue, or even many techs, they just spout off some nonesense and the customer gets to play CSR roulette to get the correct answer.

This lack of knowledge combined with the ever present new fees make it so the customer feels at a loss and like no one cares about them. When customers get there then yes they will milk the system, just like the IRS, insurance companies, etc. Why because they feel like they are being taken advantage of.

If dish would make things more simple and treat the techs better it would do a world of good. For example just say all dual tuners have a $10 fee. $5 Dvr + 5 Phone. If you plug in the phone line you get a refund of $5. That would stop many people from bitching as now they think they are getting something good. The price packages are also a mess. They need to sort out the lease fees as well. I think if dish just simplified and educated it would go a long ways.

I was on chat last night thinking about updating my 301 to a 612 or 211. Since I own that one and would be leasing either of the new one then I would be paying the lease fee on it along with the 6 dollar access fee. This is because I lease the 622 already. Anything over the first one has the lease fee. So know I will probably just buy one.

First Things First. NO ONE at DISH mentioned to me that if I ever drop AEP I would have to pay extra fees, and to add to it I was explicitly told I would not be charged anything if I changed what service plan I had. Also I think should be the last posts on the matter as we are getting quite off topic.

I respect your opinion but I would say that having SET pricing and CSR's that tell you the correct information would make me feel better. For example 4 days ago I was on the phone with CS here is how it went.

Me: When will we get some more HD? ( I always ask even if I call for something else)

CSR: We just launched 3 new satellites last week and that new HD would be soon.

Me: You me they are on schedule to launch.

CSR: No sir, They are already up there.

Me: No ma'am, you have not launched anything, I keep quite up to date on theese things

CSR: (With a BAD Attitude) Are you calling me a Liar? I work for dish network I think I would know better.

Me: Supervisor Please.

CSR: Why?

Me: Because you know nothing!

This is about how MOST conversations go with Dish, being for tech or billing.

I paid 299.00 for a unit they gave out for free just months later so thats 59.8 months of 5 dollar credits in my head I deserve! I know I signed before they had a "DEAL" but in my book thats a total rip to screw someone that just bought your product.

Example. Apple - Charges $499 for a 40GB ipod 16 days later change the price to $299. Then you go to the store with your receipt. CSR oh you bought it 16 days ago thats to bad now GO SCREW! I mean how about a little customer loyalty.

For example when you went to a store and bought a product years ago, lets say the first CD Player. $900 I believe is what my pop paid for it and yes it was one of the first 700 units available in the US and all the CD's were in Japaneese writing. It took YEARS before it was more affordable and if I remember correctly 2-3 years later Our second one was still a $300+ item.

Nowadays you buy something its $599 today and 30 days later its $99. Do you think that is right to do to customers? That just makes me pissed and feel as I got cheated. I'm not saying its just Dish its everyone now and most companies show NO loyalty to their customers nowadays. I understand your point but I hope you could understand how a customer could feel after being cheated, cheated, and cheated all the time!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)