E* Does not warrant equipment not purchased from them?

wjpurdy

Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Rolesville, NC
Hi everybody! Long time, lurker, first time poster... great to be here.

I own two Dish Network receivers, a 942 and a VIP722, that were purchased from DishStore.net (an excellent customer experience, I might add, that I hope to be able to use in the future). The 942 replaced a leased VIP211 in a bedroom with just a single cable run to it.

I decided it would be WAY too much work to run a second cable to the bedroom, so I went on eBay and bought a new-in-box DPP44 switch for $95 shipped, from a highly-rated seller who seemed to be moving a lot of Dish Network equipment.

Anyway, I finished the installation of the switch and everything was working great. Then I cleaned up my mess and returned to the televisions, only to discover the receivers were receiving no signal at all. This is maybe 90 minutes after successful check switch tests on both receivers, etc. I was sure the DPP44 had failed.

I hastily reinstalled the DP34 (successfully, which in my mind further implicated the DPP44), then brought the new unit in so I had unit serial #s, etc., available when I called Dish Network for help -- which is exactly what the instruction manual says to do if you run into trouble.

The CSR was unpleasant from the get-go, which is a bit unusual in my (now, nearly 11 years') experience with Dish Network. She asked my why I bothered to replace the switch in the first place, as if that was relevant to the situation. Then she came right out and asked: "So you're calling to see if there is a warranty on the unit?" I replied, "I guess so," (though I really wanted some help understanding why the install might have failed) and she put me on hold.

When she came back, she told me she "even spoke to her supervisor," but the switch is not warranted by Dish Network since I did not purchase it from Dish Network.

This surprised me, because there is no indication in any of the printed materials I have received from E* over the years -- and especially in the DPP44 package itself -- that supports this policy. It is especially troubling because I own both of my receivers (which, fortunately, have had no major problems to date, knock on wood). What happens if they go bad?

The CSR said I had to take it up with whomever I purchased the switch from. If they're willing to warrant it, then good for me. As far as she was concerned, Dish Network had washed their hands of this matter.

(Full disclosure: I reinstalled the DPP44, checked my wiring, and discovered I had inadvertently crimped the power inserter cable while I was cleaning up my mess, which caused the switch to fail. I re-ran that coax and now everything works just as it should.)

Still, the experience worried me a great deal. I prefer to own and install my own equipment, but if Dish Network doesn't warrant equipment purchased from 3rd party vendors, I might have to reconsider my longstanding relationship with them.

Is this policy (as retold here, by me, who heard it from a surly CSR) accurate? Has anyone else had problems with equipment purchased from 3rd parties? Thanks in advance for your advice.

"(Full disclosure: I reinstalled the DPP44, checked my wiring, and discovered I had inadvertently crimped the power inserter cable while I was cleaning up my mess, which caused the switch to fail. I re-ran that coax and now everything works just as it should.)"

That's what I suspected. I thought that new equipment had a 1 year warranty but I could be wrong.

I don't know but I'd figure the seller has the warranty responsibility. It would never occur to me to call someone I didn't buy a thing from to see about warranty coverage. If the ebay seller is as good as you say, he should have had a warranty policy stated in his item description. Did he?

And I'm not knocking ebay I buy LOTS of stuff there.

And I'm not endorsing the rude CSR either. There is never an excuse for rude customer service.

And (The last "and", I swear!) I'm not saying if something goes south you shouldn't call Dish. They are the last word (or should be) on everything involving Dish.

So what was my point again...?

Oh, never mind.

I'll bet it falls back on this eBay seller not being an "authorized reseller". This is pretty normal for ALL companies.

When you buy from an authorized seller and have a warranty issue, you return it to him, who in turn returns it to Dish. Your eBay seller doesn't have that option.

I've never had problems with owned equipment being replaced. I've had DHPP from day one (maybe that is the difference). Last replacement was the 942. Previous to that was a 411 that got replaced with a 211.

I own all of my equipment at multiple locations.

After trying for about 3 weeks to get a new DPP-44 purchased from a sponsor to work, I called Dish Technical Support who then connected me to Advanced Technical Support; they sent me a DPP-44 (without the power inverter) since it was still under warranty. They also sent it to an alternate address for me. I returned the new one with the label they supplied. No problems.... Except it took me another week to figure out the problem.

I think the new one probably worked, but this was before Dish Advanced Technical Support knew that the stringers on the RG-6 cable needed to be longer than other stringers to make connection. :)

The CSR never asked me where I got the switch. She simply saw from my account information that I did NOT get it from Dish Network.

That's what concerns me: neither of my receivers were purchased from Dish Network. Now that I have been labeled a scofflaw (or, at the very least, someone who found a good deal on eBay), I wonder if Dish will support ANY of my in-warranty equipment.

Something you buy from ebay could be new, refurbished, flaky, broken, hit by lightning, you never know.

Unless you have a receipt or other documentation from an authorized retailer they would be pretty stupid to warrant it as new.

I think if you sign up for the DHPP warranty plan it covers all Dish-branded equipment without regard to place of purchase.

You didn't buy it from them- no, no warranty. They had no control over what might have happened to the equipment between them and you.

In fact, I'm not sure they'd allow you to buy the Dish Home Protection Plan, $5.99/month- for just such coverage.

"Good deals" often include a good bit of risk.

Last edited:
I guess all of Dish Network equipment is warrantless... Since supposely

- Dish does not sell to people, only retailers; &
- Somewhere I read that rented equipment is not covered (the reason for DHPP).

:D :D :D :D :D :D

The CSR never asked me where I got the switch. She simply saw from my account information that I did NOT get it from Dish Network.

That's what concerns me: neither of my receivers were purchased from Dish Network. Now that I have been labeled a scofflaw (or, at the very least, someone who found a good deal on eBay), I wonder if Dish will support ANY of my in-warranty equipment.
I don't think DISH said your switch wasn't under warranty they were just telling you the source you bought it from has the warranty liability. As others have tried to explain you didn't buy it directly from DISH so even though the ultimate warranty liability is their as the manufacturer your source is responsible to you and they then have to return it to DISH. Now if you had DHPP insurance the answer would have been different, $29.99 service call and they would replace any DISH branded product that was defective.:)

I bought a 501 from somebody one time and when I activated it I asked about the warranty on it and they told me it was still covered for the remainder of the 1 year from when it was first activated.

Smitywhity: The difference is "authorized" dealer/retailer or not.
I would say the top statement says/implies that Dish does not warranty equipment even if it is purchased from an authorized retailer.

However, I believe the OP forgot the "Number 1 rule" in the "Game of CSR Roulette" and forgot to call back, or ask for Technical Support. :D

I have had no problems, and my equipment was not purchased under/through an account number. :)

E* will not warrant anything even if you buy it str8 threw them if you do a self install it will void the warranty.

I decided it would be WAY too much work to run a second cable to the bedroom, so I went on eBay and bought a new-in-box DPP44 switch for $95 shipped, from a highly-rated seller who seemed to be moving a lot of Dish Network equipment.

This right here tells me that this seller on ebay is a tech stealing his employer blind. That is less than the dealer cost on that switch.

Thanks to everyone for responding -- in 11 years as an America's Everything Pack Dish Network (or equivalent) subscriber (and a frequent reader of these forums), I had never even heard of a "Dish Home Protection Plan." Glad to know such a thing exists, though I'm still not clear if my "gray market" switch would be covered even if I purchased a DHPP.

Incidentally, for those who were wondering: 1) I didn't call back after the initial call and ask for tech support (a 2nd time) because I was determined to ferret out the most likely problem: "installer error" (which is what it turned out to be); and 2) I am well aware a $95 switch purchased on eBay might be a deal "too good to be true." I decided I could afford the downside risk involved in the transaction (that the switch might not work and I'd be out $95), but mitigated it because the seller had a 100% rating on a relatively high volume of Dish Network equipment.

And, to his credit, the DPP44 I purchased was a good, working switch. Considering the lesson I learned about Dish Network warranties, it turned out to be a pretty good deal.

Fox channel 5 Low volume

Getting the most out of 129W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)