Early Termination - 30 Day Grace Period????

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
I've seen mention, once or twice, of a 30 day "return" period. Is this true? Is it possible to return the equipment and cancel service within 30 days, and not suffer a financial penalty?

I see no mention of it in my Dish paperwork, or remember seeing it in the online agreement. However, there is a single line in the receipt from my local retailer that says, "30 day return policy covers equipment only. Installation charge and any other labor is non-refundable." (But, since the installation is listed at $0.00, I guess I'd be safe there.)

Perhaps Scott, a Dish retailer could offer a definitive answer to this question. Or, perhaps there are former Dish customers that have used this non-documented (or poorly documented) 30 day period to cancel their own service. (Although, they probably wouldnt be reading this forum.)

GaryPen said:
I've seen mention, once or twice, of a 30 day "return" period. Is this true? Is it possible to return the equipment and cancel service within 30 days, and not suffer a financial penalty?

I see no mention of it in my Dish paperwork, or remember seeing it in the online agreement. However, there is a single line in the receipt from my local retailer that says, "30 day return policy covers equipment only. Installation charge and any other labor is non-refundable." (But, since the installation is listed at $0.00, I guess I'd be safe there.)

Perhaps Scott, a Dish retailer could offer a definitive answer to this question. Or, perhaps there are former Dish customers that have used this non-documented (or poorly documented) 30 day period to cancel their own service. (Although, they probably wouldnt be reading this forum.)

It's only 3 days. The old DHP plan used to have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, but they changed it to the 3 day rule several months ago.

The $0.00 installation was contingent upon you keeping your service active for X amount of days. If you did cancel, you could be responsible for the actual labor charges. I can guarantee you installer did not install it for $0.00.

Mainstreet said:
It's only 3 days. The old DHP plan used to have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, but they changed it to the 3 day rule several months ago.

The $0.00 installation was contingent upon you keeping your service active for X amount of days. If you did cancel, you could be responsible for the actual labor charges. I can guarantee you installer did not install it for $0.00.

He actually did a crappy job. I had to move the dish, remove his jury-rigged mounting hardware, and do it correctly myself. I also pre-ran the wire to the bedroom. Quite frankly, if it wasn't free at the time, and the retailer didn't instist that they do it, I would've asked him to stop what he was doing and leave.

But...we signed the paperwork, so I guess we're responsible.

The new DHA plan you can cancel at anytime. (the only reason I chose it). While you do lease the equipment, the first receiver is free. The second is $5 rental, but no mirror fee. So, basically, it's the same monthly programming cost as ownership, with no first year commitment.

snathanb said:
The new DHA plan you can cancel at anytime. (the only reason I chose it). While you do lease the equipment, the first receiver is free. The second is $5 rental, but no mirror fee. So, basically, it's the same monthly programming cost as ownership, with no first year commitment.

That doesn't sound right. I just signed up for the DHA plan and while there is no contract per say, if you cancel before a year, you have to return the equipment and pay $500 (from what I understood anyway). So while installation was free, you have to pay for it if you cancel before a year. I got the 522 receiver so there is no extra $5 fee for the second tuner, but I do have to pay $5 for having the video on demand. Maybe I'm confused about the termination policy?

I was told TUES by the Executive Office of Dish that DHP customers have no return policy(Basically I couldn't return it).But I called and asked a month before I got my 811 and at that time I was told I did have 30, days she even put me on hold to find out. I am starting to think it's all on an individual basis.

Trav said:
That doesn't sound right. I just signed up for the DHA plan and while there is no contract per say, if you cancel before a year, you have to return the equipment and pay $500 (from what I understood anyway). So while installation was free, you have to pay for it if you cancel before a year. I got the 522 receiver so there is no extra $5 fee for the second tuner, but I do have to pay $5 for having the video on demand. Maybe I'm confused about the termination policy?

You do have to return the equipment (prices for unreturned equipment are on the back of the contract). Even if you stay for 10 years, you still have to return the equipment. I think what you should have said is... "you have to return the equipment ***OR*** pay $500"

You do not have to pay them back for installation. If that was the case, I would not have signed up.

Keep in mind, this is the policy of the new DHA plan, I believe the old DHP plan required a 1 year commitment.

According to what literature I have.. the DHA has no cancellation fee. You have 15 days to return the equipment from date of cancellation or you will be charged for "Equipment Replacement Costs" which varies according to your configuration. All Equipment must be in good working condition. Remotes, smart cards, etc.

$300 for a 522
$200 for a 322/510/811
$100 for each 301/311/111/quad/LNBF/or switch

bcshields said:
According to what literature I have.. the DHA has no cancellation fee. You have 15 days to return the equipment from date of cancellation or you will be charged for "Equipment Replacement Costs" which varies according to your configuration. All Equipment must be in good working condition. Remotes, smart cards, etc.

$300 for a 522
$200 for a 322/510/811
$100 for each 301/311/111/quad/LNBF/or switch

Some retailers must have a separate contract that requires a commitment for the free installation. Since DISH charges back activation, installation, and equipment monies during the first year, the retailer can be financially damaged if a customer cancels. If a retailer offers DHA without any commitment whatsoever, it will be financial suicide. Notice your brochure says that other restrictions may apply from the retailer. (If you must, go to VMC's website, and see if they require a one year commitment with DHA).

It is allowed by DISH that retailers have an agreement with their customers.

It is also VERY unfair that DISH came out with this promotion, advertising "No DISH Network Commitment", and still charging the retailer back the incentives on the account. I think it was one of the worst ideas to go into a promotion ever, and I think it will change soon. If they want retailers to offer this promo and not charge the customer for installation if they cancel, they should not charge the incentives back if the customer cancels in the first year.

You need to check where you signed up, if you are indeed under an obligation to keep the service for a specified amount of time.

I don't know if different areas/dealers have different agreements, but this is straight from MY agreement:

"This promotional price reduction is conditional on my being a first time subscriber, maintaining required programming and billing minimums, complying with all promotional requirements and remaining in good standing with the carrier(s) for a period of at least 360 continuous days of service. If I should cancel or suspend my service, be suspended by or default with the carrier(s) before this time, I authorize [name of dealer] to collect, by any and all means necessary, the amount of $499.00."

I don't know if the $499 is just for the dealer or partly Dish, but that's the agreement I had to sign. I don't really have a problemw with a 1-year commitment as I have done this with cell phones before, etc. When the year is up, I assume I can cancel at any time and return the equipment and not have to pay a fee.

snathanb said:
You do have to return the equipment (prices for unreturned equipment are on the back of the contract). Even if you stay for 10 years, you still have to return the equipment. I think what you should have said is... "you have to return the equipment ***OR*** pay $500"

You do not have to pay them back for installation. If that was the case, I would not have signed up.

Keep in mind, this is the policy of the new DHA plan, I believe the old DHP plan required a 1 year commitment.

Mainstreet said:
Some retailers must have a separate contract that requires a commitment for the free installation. Since DISH charges back activation, installation, and equipment monies during the first year, the retailer can be financially damaged if a customer cancels. If a retailer offers DHA without any commitment whatsoever, it will be financial suicide. Notice your brochure says that other restrictions may apply from the retailer. (If you must, go to VMC's website, and see if they require a one year commitment with DHA).

It is allowed by DISH that retailers have an agreement with their customers.

It is also VERY unfair that DISH came out with this promotion, advertising "No DISH Network Commitment", and still charging the retailer back the incentives on the account. I think it was one of the worst ideas to go into a promotion ever, and I think it will change soon. If they want retailers to offer this promo and not charge the customer for installation if they cancel, they should not charge the incentives back if the customer cancels in the first year.

You need to check where you signed up, if you are indeed under an obligation to keep the service for a specified amount of time.

I know.. and we've thougth about that here too, but we've decided to stick to the letter, and only promote DHA if the other promos are in no way available.

I can see why Dish did it, the need to compete with Cable who never have contracts. It's wrong to bend over the retailers for it, and I understand their need to cover their backside. It's very unfortunate, considering 50% of the cancellations are because of customer service/programming/locals, etc... stuff on Dish corporate end.

bcshields said:
I know.. and we've thougth about that here too, but we've decided to stick to the letter, and only promote DHA if the other promos are in no way available.

I can see why Dish did it, the need to compete with Cable who never have contracts. It's wrong to bend over the retailers for it, and I understand their need to cover their backside. It's very unfortunate, considering 50% of the cancellations are because of customer service/programming/locals, etc... stuff on Dish corporate end.

We have been doing a lot of DHA, and our customers don't seem to have a problem with the 1 year agreement when explained the reasoning. I personally do not want a customer who will not commit to stick around until I get to keep what I have worked for. DHA is a great promotion, and saves the customer a lot of money. Rather than forcing Free Dish down their throats on most sales just because DISH has the cancellation penalty, we offer the best promotion for the customer every time.

We also go out of our way on installations, service, and customer support, so I would like to believe that we have a value added service compared to our competition that doesn't require any commitment (DISH Direct Sales).

I was in my local sat store last week and I heard one of the guys telling a potential customer that the store would charge a penalty if they canceled in the first year.

Interesting... I would have never gone with the DHA promotion if I couldn't walk away from it... I would have definately gone with the "Free Dish" promotion, instead.

I wanted an 811 and a 301. The upfront costs and the montly fees were identical for that configuration on both plans. The only difference was the ability to cancel within a year. With all the complaints about the 811 I was hearing, as well as the now finished Viacom issue on the table, I certainly didn't want to be locked into a contract.

Yes that is true for some third party companies they want you to stay with Dish a certain amount of time so they get their commision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)