Early Termination fee

I know their is a early termination fee of 240. Question grandparents had dish installed about 2 weeks ago. They didnt like it at all couldnt figure out remote missed some of their local stuff they got on cable ect. Anyway they just wanted rid of it. I was thinking you had 30 days to cancel if not satisfied. If not is their any Loophole to avoid this 240 charge.​

Consumer Action Handbook - Shopping From Home - 3-Day Cooling Off Rule
Here's a link that explains what the U.S. law is pertaining to the 3 day cooling off period. Buyers remorse won't qualify in this case. I agree with the posters who said take the time to show them how the remote works. Have them look at the manual, read up on it, it ain't that difficult to master. (Yeah, I know, I don't like learning new stuff :D either but it's better than paying a hefty cancelllation charge.) You can't do anything about the channels they used to get from cable but maybe Dish has some they didn't get before.

any state that does have a 30 day money back gaurentee law only applies to purchases. nothing here was purchased, so there is no protection by any state law.

A few years back when I was in training our instructor said we should tell custs that there was a 30 day money back period where you could cancel. I dont know if this was bs but I think it changed not long after this to 3 days.

Dish did have a 30 day MBG but it ended in Feb. 2007 I believe and it was only for like 2 or 3 quarters.

Well, you can always call Dish and say things aren't working (and they aren't, for your grandparents). Keep insisting until you get a tech sent out. This had better be free, two weeks into the deal, DHPP or not. The techs are supposed to train the customers on the system - if they didn't, then they didn't do their job.

As an aside, I personally think the Dish DVR remote is the best OEM remote out there. The button layout is near ideal. If they would just beef it up a little into a full fledged universal remote (learning capability, macros, backlighting, etc.) then it would be fantastic. They could sell it as an upgrade accessory.

Well, you can always call Dish and say things aren't working (and they aren't, for your grandparents). Keep insisting until you get a tech sent out. This had better be free, two weeks into the deal, DHPP or not. The techs are supposed to train the customers on the system - if they didn't, then they didn't do their job. I'm assuming you are or work for a third-party retailer. In house techs are SUPPOSED to do this, but DISH won't eat cancellation fees if they don't. Doing your job isn't really a requirement for enforcing a contract ya know.

As an aside, I personally think the Dish DVR remote is the best OEM remote out there. The button layout is near ideal. If they would just beef it up a little into a full fledged universal remote and charge more for it? (learning capability, macros, backlighting, etc.) then it would be fantastic. They could sell it as an upgrade accessory.

Yeah, but no.

What about this info from their website?

Cancellation : You may cancel this Plan at any time by calling DISH Network at 1-800-333-DISH (3474). If You cancel this Plan within the first thirty (30) days after receipt of this Plan, You will receive a full refund, less any claims paid, where allowed by law. If You cancel after the first thirty (30) days from receipt of this Plan, You will receive a pro rata refund based on the time remaining on Your Plan, less any claims paid, where allowed by law. If this Plan was inadvertently sold to You on a Product which was not intended to be covered by this Plan, DISH Network will cancel this Plan and return the full purchase price of the Plan to You.

DISH Network Satellite TV Terms and Conditions

Cancellation : You may cancel this Plan at any time by calling DISH Network at 1-800-333-DISH (3474). If You cancel this Plan within the first thirty (30) days after receipt of this Plan, You will receive a full refund, less any claims paid, where allowed by law. If You cancel after the first thirty (30) days from receipt of this Plan, You will receive a pro rata refund based on the time remaining on Your Plan, less any claims paid, where allowed by law. If this Plan was inadvertently sold to You on a Product which was not intended to be covered by this Plan, DISH Network will cancel this Plan and return the full purchase price of the Plan to You.

You'll notice it says nothing about the actual contract. That is for the service fees only. If they were to cancel they should receive a prorated refund of anything they already paid for services, but would still be responsible for cancellation fees

People believe it because...

Sorry about the vent.. but here goes...

I signed up with a local retailer (Sam's Club) on Sunday who told me there was a 30 day guarantee at the time I ordered. I mean more than once by more than one sales person at the kiosk. Apparently this is being told by a lot of retailers out there. And I believed it since every single piece of paperwork I've seen from Dish has slightly different terms on it. No one, including a lawyer, can understand all of the nonsense in most of the small print.

I'm starting to wonder, since there isn't that guarantee if I shouldn't cancel before activation. I tried to tonight but was defused and probably will be defrauded later...I'm glad I found this thread.

I am starting to think that the amount of confusion that goes into a Dish install, equipment, and terms of install is on purpose. I did a lot of research before deciding to order and I'm still having issues. No local dealer had a fully working HD receiver with all channels for me to check the service out first and none could give me an actual list of channels (with channel numbers) one gets with the TurboHD packs. What kind of crapola is that? Why have dealers at all?

I had a "12N-5PM" appointment today for probably one of the easiest installs they will ever see...

I was supposed to get installed tonight, took off the 1/2 day of work, called at 12N asked if they were coming because we had some snow in the area. Yup, we are on schedule. Left work, got home at 1 PM (wife was home and I knew they wouldn't be here on time anyway). Snow was happening but until about 3 PM we had < 1/2"

At 3:30 PM the installation company calls and said they are still coming but are delayed because of weather. OK.. at this point I could have worked the whole day, but crap happens. Snow starts coming down heavier. Note: If they would have been on-time, snow would have been non-issue. I asked installation company if we should reschedule since it would be dark out and they said that that is not a problem. I was worried at that point about quality of the job.

Oddly enough installer is from 75 miles away, when two larger cities are <30 miles away. Apparently this is normal for Dish installs in our area.

At 5:30 PM I get a call for directions. Give directions. They "are not from the area and have no clue how to get to my house". Ask again if they were sure they were coming. No problem..yes.. They were 35 minutes out. 45 minutes later I get a call saying the installer was literally 3/4 mile away from my house (by the street name he read off) but they decided that since they had an hour left to drive back to Cedar Rapids (where their hotel room was apparently) and my install should take three hours that it was too late for them. I think I literally saw their headlights. I live in the country. And they said they didn't want to work that late so they were turning around and I had to call and reschedule. And was that alright with me? I said no at 12N and 3:30 PM that was alright but not when they were 3/4 miles from my house at 6:15PM -- and they hung up.

Total snow: 2.5" Not earth shattering.

I can install a full arc C-band dish once the pole is set in less than 3 hours. Well maybe not after dark but if they were on time it wouldn't be dark. All they needed to do is drop off two receivers and mount/align the dish and hook to existing cable runs in the house. Phone lines are even ready. It should not have to be a roof install and it won't.. trust me it wont..

I bet I could have it all working in an hour and a half if I installed it myself.

I called Dish and told them that according to the paperwork I signed (in writing in black and white) that I could cancel and get 100% back until I'm activated and please would they cancel. They said, wow, you should have been activated by now, what happened? Told them the story.. Got offered $20 credit. I took it-- mainly because I foolishly still want to do it. I also got offered a Saturday install that strangely was not available when I signed up last Sunday.

I probably shouldn't have taken the credit and washed my hands of them.

Anyway, I'm NOT starting off well. They better hope that they are on-time next time and bring the right equipment (two 211's or 211k's WITH ATSC) or they will get a cancellation. They better bring the two required HDMI cables and >6' long phone cables as well.

By the way, last week the same install company showed up at a friend of mine for some service work on an existing install at 7:30 PM for a 12N-5PM appointment and... well the weather was just fine that day.. and didn't get the job done. He was out of contract and now is with DirecTV..

What does the group think my odds are of actually getting the $20 credit? Of the installer showing on time? Of the right equipment being here?

From 1995-2002 when I had DirecTV I never had problems (until I moved into a NRTC zip code which is why I went back to C-band).. too bad they are so bloody expensive by comparison... But so far Dish makes the old cable company look good.

Fred

Did you sign up thru this authorized reseller? This link you provided is not to the dish network website (it's to the resellers website) and afaik, dish network doesn't have a 30 day money back guarantee. Also, what does "you will receive a full refund, less any claims paid" mean?
The website for dish is DISH Network - 1.888.825.2557

Anyway, I'm NOT starting off well. They better hope that they are on-time next time and bring the right equipment (two 211's or 211k's WITH ATSC) or they will get a cancellation. They better bring the two required HDMI cables and >6' long phone cables as well.

Just an FYI, Dish network no longer includes HDMI for free with installations. They will generally charge $20 per HDMI cable, or you get component (which carries a 1080i signal just fine) for free. Due to this many techs no longer even carry HDMI cables with them. All receiver boxes should have 25' phone cable in the box so you should be set on that one.

Except in the rarest of circumstances, neither you or a tech could get it all set up in 1 hour. It can take almost an hour just for the receiver set-up (check switch, software download, activation, Paperwork) especially if the automated activation system doesn't work right and the tech has to wait 20 minutes to talk to a real person.

I hope everything goes well for you on your next installation date. Sorry you had to deal with so much trouble.

Fred

You'd better order your HDMI cables from monoprice.com now. They aren't included with the receiver unless E* has changed their install policy. Most techs will charge you more (if they even have them with them) than what they'll cost you from monoprice.

Well, you can always call Dish and say things aren't working (and they aren't, for your grandparents). Keep insisting until you get a tech sent out. This had better be free, two weeks into the deal, DHPP or not. The techs are supposed to train the customers on the system - if they didn't, then they didn't do their job.

As an aside, I personally think the Dish DVR remote is the best OEM remote out there. The button layout is near ideal. If they would just beef it up a little into a full fledged universal remote (learning capability, macros, backlighting, etc.) then it would be fantastic. They could sell it as an upgrade accessory.

People like you are the ones i hate ( create TC for no reason )

ive done this before, talk to Winback tell them you had a channel with cable (local access channel) and dish doesnt carry it, they canceled the account on the spot/
Moe

Total snow: 2.5" Not earth shattering.
This may not be a difficult amount of snow to negotiate while driving, but it presents a whole different situation when you're trying to install a dish on a roof. Don't assume that all the installers need to do all day is get to your house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts