Early Termination Fees

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I have recently heard that the FCC is thinking stepping in and taking action to help consumers in regards to early termination fees. So fa...

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST...

Catch new editions of "The Satellite Dish" at MultiChannel.COM!

When the government starts stepping in and tells companies what they can and cannot do, then this ends up not becoming a free society. What is bad for the business is bad for the consumer as well and it is like a domino effect. I can understand if they want to help consumers against a cancellation fee if the service is not performing as it should but if they are getting good service then they should have to pay a penalty if someone cancels service otherwise people will be switching in the middle of their contracts if someone else comes out with a better deal. This would be very bad for the satellite industry.

I agree. The cost of installation and aquiring news customers is just too high to have people canceling early. Did you know that it takes Dish about 2 years to make a profit on a customer? The only thing I would like to see, are an end to one sided contracts, where you still have to be responsible for your side of the bargain no matter what the company does on theirs. There should be escape clauses for certain reasons.

I agree. The cost of installation and aquiring news customers is just too high to have people canceling early. Did you know that it takes Dish about 2 years to make a profit on a customer? The only thing I would like to see, are an end to one sided contracts, where you still have to be responsible for your side of the bargain no matter what the company does on theirs. There should be escape clauses for certain reasons.
E* gets there equipment back when people cancel. So they are really out a truck roll and some wireing

I don't believe that at all. D* would have 4 year commitments if that was the case. So if I signed up for 2 years and left after 2 years, D* made no money off me? , Yea Right!:rolleyes:

I work for Dish, and unless they're outright lying to all their employees we're told frequently that it takes almost 2 years to break even on acquiring a new customer and begin making a profit. This is all combined costs, not just the truck roll, labor, supplies and equipment. It's marketing, administration costs and every other cost involved with that customer. Just like when a company hires on a new employee. It's a very expensive process. It's not just the employee's hourly wage, there's thousands of dollars behind the scenes involved.

I work for Dish, and unless they're outright lying to all their employees we're told frequently that it takes almost 2 years to break even on acquiring a new customer and begin making a profit. This is all combined costs, not just the truck roll, labor, supplies and equipment. It's marketing, administration costs and every other cost involved with that customer. Just like when a company hires on a new employee. It's a very expensive process. It's not just the employee's hourly wage, there's thousands of dollars behind the scenes involved.
Sorry I didn't realize you Said Dishnetwork. I believe that because they charge next to nothing to sign up, sometimes nothing. Directv, now some will claim alot of free, but I've yet to see any of my freinds walk away with D* giving them free 3 room HD/DVR systems.

Sorry I didn't realize you Said Dishnetwork. I believe that because they charge next to nothing to sign up, sometimes nothing. Directv, now some will claim alot of free, but I've yet to see any of my freinds walk away with D* giving them free 3 room HD/DVR systems.

That's ok. Yeah, that's probably the reason. D* makes you pay for a lot up front. I can't speak to how their financials are, but I know E* has a smaller startup cost for the customer, and thus takes longer to break even. However, it's a calculated risk so Dish can gain more customers who would be attracted to a lower initial cost.

I agree with an earlier poster. These contracts need to go both ways. So many ways to handcuff a consumer... but the QOS terms are not well defined enought to protect the consumer. Personally I think if you're married to a contract there should be service on the equipment and setup for the duration of the contract.

E* gets there equipment back when people cancel. So they are really out a truck roll and some wireing

And the amortized depreciation on receivers that are worthless to them after 2 years. Seriously, are you willing to settle for a 2 year old used receiver on your new install? What does DISH do with returned receivers that are more than 2 years old? Probably keeps a small stock for repair return and crushes the rest.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at those recycling yards along S. Santa Fe if I still lived out there.

And the amortized depreciation on receivers that are worthless to them after 2 years. Seriously, are you willing to settle for a 2 year old used receiver on your new install? What does DISH do with returned receivers that are more than 2 years old? Probably keeps a small stock for repair return and crushes the rest.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at those recycling yards along S. Santa Fe if I still lived out there.

It doesn't quite work that way. Virtually all receivers sent back to Dish are remanufactured, and placed back into circulation. In fact, I haven't put in a new 301 or 311 in almost a year an a half. We only rarely get any new 322s in. Half of the 625s we get are remans, and all the 211s and 222s we get now are remans. Really, the only new receivers I see are 722s, 612s, and some 625s.

This isn't always the case. Most retailers are responsible to get the equipment back in the first 6 months. The sad part is that they only re-coup about 38% of the equipment that's out there.

You would be amazed at how many customers keep their equipment and disappear.

Also to be fair to the FCC what they are looking at is 30 days. In other words if you sign up for a service and that service is not what you wanted you can get out of your contract within the first 30 days. After 30 days you pay the penalty.

This is only fair.

Well let’s see

E* CHARGE you up in your first bill two months five {5} days later after you got!!! Installed $39.99 for three times in your 2 year contract!!!
1st month $39.99 10th month $39.99 20th month 39.99 total $119.97!!!
icon9.gif

D* charge you one {1} month free installation up to four {4} rooms
free DVR or HD receiver
$18.00 discount for up to one year total & $216 18 or 24 months agreement!!!
so who is charging you up front?
icon12.gif

icon14.gif
So who is who at zoo?

before you sign a contract look at it before hand. If you fail to look at it don't complain when you get a fee for doing something in the contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)