Early termination fee's

I’m sure my bill would have gone up even faster if Dish didn’t have these disputes.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

You know they say that they're doing it to keep costs down to consumers, but I've never seen it. Our bill continues to go up year after year. I would really like to see Dish provide us with hard numbers. Here's how much they wanted to charge us and how it would have affected your monthly bill, and here's how much we saved you by having this channel dispute. But you don't. You just have to take them at their word that what they're doing is saving us money.

OMG, this is exactly what I have been saying for years ever since I started to hate Dish.

But exactly my point. Never once has Dish came out and said, we saved you x amount off your bill, or we didn’t raise rates as much as anticipated because of a dispute.

Here is something to consider. Rate increases have always been even dollar amounts.

The rate increases these providers want to charge Dish are pennies, nickels, dimes and maybe a quarter.

Dish isn’t negotiating for you, they are negotiating for themselves. Let’s say the increase is 10 cents. Wether Dish pays the 10 cent increase or 5 cents, your bill is still going up $1

You go without your favorite channel for a month so Dish can make 5 cents more on your bill.

So what you may say....

Do the math, over 10 million subscribers it’s $500,000/mo or 6 million over 12 months.

The problem is Charlie Ergen. This is HIS money, he is 51% shareholder in Dish. Any money he saves, literally lines his pocket.

I know Spectrum out here used to pay the customers contract fees to get them. I have no idea if they still offer that. But as others have stated, there is no way a provider can guarantee that there will no be disputes. They are all like that. You take that chance in signing a contract. Dish and all providers put out money for receivers, installing your dish, etc. They have to re-coop that money. About the only thing there doesn't seem to be contracts with are streaming services, or if you buy your equipment and install it yourself as I do. But many cannot do that. Of course them you own the equipment and you have that out lay of money. With me, I bought mine in 1999 as I knew what Dish offered at the time, I was going to stay with them for a long time. I have always bought mine and I like Dish. I have lost favorite channels too. We all have, but we also like our pricing staying down. All providers are going to have disputes and there are many more on the way. Sometimes, the provider may never get that channel back, like with HBO/Cinemax. You know if you have streaming as an option, you can pick up those missing channels elsewhere with no extra fees or contracts. I did that with HBO for a time.

Yes they still do. You need a triple play with them and they will pay multiple cancellation fees up to $500. They will pay to cancel Dish, and whatever balance to pay off your internet contract.

Plus there are no contracts, so literally you could cancel after they buy out your contract and send a check. But then again they are such a good value at $89.99 for a triple play, plus $7.50 per receiver, it makes no sense to cancel at that rate.

But your right, you can’t predict disputes with any provider. But as a customer, they just want to watch Tv.

With all the disputes with Dish, as much as I hate then as a provider, if I still had Dish, I probably wouldn’t care or notice. I never watch HBO, and as far as fox sports, I have season baseball tickets. So if there is a game, I’m watching it in person.

However, what breaks the camels back is when it comes down to that 1 channel customers watch most. Take the History channel away, and I would have a serious issue with any provider, because that’s 50% of what I watch.

As far as the provider recouping their install money, that’s none of your concern if they turn a profit on your account. Every provider sets their own credit risk, and how much they want to discount their equipment and install.

The providers always say how they have thousands invested in your install. It’s not true.

The equipment has no value. Maybe $20, but if the equipment is refurbished, it’s already been paid for. The biggest expense is the actual hard drive in the DVR. If a retailer did your install, they May have $500 invested in you. If they send one of their in-house guys, maybe $12/hr. The install materials are usually less than $10.

There is more money that gets dumped into advertising than the actual install.

The equipment has no value. Maybe $20
, but if the equipment is refurbished, it’s already been paid for. The biggest expense is the actual hard drive in the DVR. If a retailer did your install, they May have $500 invested in you. If they send one of their in-house guys, maybe $12/hr. The install materials are usually less than $10.

Let me see if I've got this straight. The equipment is worth $20, install materials less than $10, and a total of $500 invested. So, at $12 per hour, the retailer takes 39 hours to do the install? Now, I see why you think DISH owes you a million $$$.

OMG, this is exactly what I have been saying for years ever since I started to hate Dish.

But exactly my point. Never once has Dish came out and said, we saved you x amount off your bill, or we didn’t raise rates as much as anticipated because of a dispute.

Here is something to consider. Rate increases have always been even dollar amounts.

The rate increases these providers want to charge Dish are pennies, nickels, dimes and maybe a quarter.

Dish isn’t negotiating for you, they are negotiating for themselves. Let’s say the increase is 10 cents. Wether Dish pays the 10 cent increase or 5 cents, your bill is still going up $1

You go without your favorite channel for a month so Dish can make 5 cents more on your bill.

So what you may say....

Do the math, over 10 million subscribers it’s $500,000/mo or 6 million over 12 months.

The problem is Charlie Ergen. This is HIS money, he is 51% shareholder in Dish. Any money he saves, literally lines his pocket.
Up there at the top of my browser it says:

Dish Network Support Forum

What does yours say ?

I'm sorry Claude. I just do not believe this statement to be true. All the reporting on the topic indicates the ask from channel owners during retransmission discussions typically is 2x-3x the current rate. Unless Dish (and AT&T, Comcast, Charter, etc.) are only paying pennies for those channels now, I do not see how what you say can be the case.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm sorry Claude. I just do not believe this statement to be true. All the reporting on the topic indicates the ask from channel owners during retransmission discussions typically is 2x-3x the current rate. Unless Dish (and AT&T, Comcast, Charter, etc.) are only paying pennies for those channels now, I do not see how what you say can be the case.

I found a rate chart (last updated 2017) for what each channel costs providers-

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/0321_041-nu.pdf

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell

OK. So, individual cable channels may be pennies per sub, but they are typically negotiated on a per-media conglomerate basis, which adds up to way more than that in most cases. I was thinking more about the locals where the news coverage often claims 2-3x increases are being requested.

Thanks for that chart. I found some things of interest in it. Even though it was 2017, channel costs were mostly up and subscription rates were mostly down. And, that's for streaming services. I can imagine that cable and satellite providers would have even greater subscription reductions.

In 2017, ESPN costs them $7.86. Wow. I also see where the Golf Channel was $.38, even though it is only available from DISH in a premium package. I would have thought the Golf Channel would be over $2.00.

Hey there, hahler2! We definitely get how much the channel negotiations impact you and I want to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to work with the channel owners in hopes of reaching a mutually beneficial agreement. While our departments aren't present during the negotiation process, we want to provide you with the most up to date information as we receive it. This is why we created our Dish promise page so you can be aware of changes as they happen! Here is a link for this page: DISH Promise | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support. -- Sam F

I'm sorry, but this is so much drivel. I go to "Dish promise" and the only new news is that FSN was sold and your negotiating with Sinclair. August 23rd. Its now almost a month later and no updates, MLB playoff races in alot of the locations that are affected and basketball season starting in a month.

Here's my "promise" to Dish: I've been a loyal subscriber to Dish for over 15 years ....except for when you did this the last time to me...and I left for 2 years and came back. My promise to you is that if you are willing to let me out of my contract fee's....when my "contract" with cable is up in a year....and FSN is back on Dish...I'll come back. Otherwise....if I have to pay $200 to terminate my contract with Dish to go elsewhere to get the programming that I thought I was paying for...I "PROMISE" I will NEVER come back.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
Thanks for that chart. I found some things of interest in it. Even though it was 2017, channel costs were mostly up and subscription rates were mostly down. And, that's for streaming services. I can imagine that cable and satellite providers would have even greater subscription reductions.

In 2017, ESPN costs them $7.86. Wow. I also see where the Golf Channel was $.38, even though it is only available from DISH in a premium package. I would have thought the Golf Channel would be over $2.00.
And they are paying 8 cents for The Hero's Channel and yet Dish has it in the upper tier of the channel packages.

I'm sorry, but this is so much drivel. I go to "Dish promise" and the only new news is that FSN was sold and your negotiating with Sinclair. August 23rd. Its now almost a month later and no updates, MLB playoff races in alot of the locations that are affected and basketball season starting in a month.

Here's my "promise" to Dish: I've been a loyal subscriber to Dish for over 15 years ....except for when you did this the last time to me...and I left for 2 years and came back. My promise to you is that if you are willing to let me out of my contract fee's....when my "contract" with cable is up in a year....and FSN is back on Dish...I'll come back. Otherwise....if I have to pay $200 to terminate my contract with Dish to go elsewhere to get the programming that I thought I was paying for...I "PROMISE" I will NEVER come back.

No offense, but how can you have been a Dish customer that long and not expect contract disputes? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Amen brother!

So you promise, that if they make you live up to what you agreed to, while they live up to what they agreed to, you’d be very upset and not come back? Not sure I’d want to keep you around either... do you need assistance with the door?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts