east coast/west coast hd available after feb 1?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hhkr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Big Sur, CA
I've been waiting for cbs-hd to come up on 129 cause the csr said I could get it if I put up a dish for 148. Now I see that LA locals are all coming up on 129. I'm wondering if they are available. I've had my waivers in place for years and Monterey/Salinas is my locals area, which has been around for about a year. There is no OTA reception available here at all.
But... I've been grandfathered in with the SF locals since1996 when dish first came available here. I'm hoping to get the SF locals in hd later on this year, but I hate to even ask for fear of losing my SF locals as local/distant isn't available anymore.
Long story, quick question. Should I shut up and hope I get SF locals in hd? Or can I try and get the LA locals in hd on 129? I don't think they will ever be available in the local area?
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
Tim

hhkr said:
I've been waiting for cbs-hd to come up on 129 cause the csr said I could get it if I put up a dish for 148. Now I see that LA locals are all coming up on 129. I'm wondering if they are available. I've had my waivers in place for years and Monterey/Salinas is my locals area, which has been around for about a year. There is no OTA reception available here at all.
But... I've been grandfathered in with the SF locals since1996 when dish first came available here. I'm hoping to get the SF locals in hd later on this year, but I hate to even ask for fear of losing my SF locals as local/distant isn't available anymore.
Long story, quick question. Should I shut up and hope I get SF locals in hd? Or can I try and get the LA locals in hd on 129? I don't think they will ever be available in the local area?
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
Tim

First go to the Dish web site. Log in to your account. Then click on "Add Programming". Then click on "locals". If the site is working, it should show you your network options, by distant cities, by networks. If they show LA stations available to you, then click and add them. These are for SD now, but I think once you are paying to receive them, you will get the corresponding HD stations for free when they come on line.

This way you do not have to talk with any CSR at this time. Good luck.

rdinkel said:
First go to the Dish web site. Log in to your account. Then click on "Add Programming". Then click on "locals". If the site is working, it should show you your network options, by distant cities, by networks. If they show LA stations available to you, then click and add them. These are for SD now, but I think once you are paying to receive them, you will get the corresponding HD stations for free when they come on line.

This way you do not have to talk with any CSR at this time. Good luck.

I don't think that option has worked on the Dish site for a long time Bob. At least when I tried it, it kept looping me back to qualifying for their analog locals.

Yeah, it doesn't work. I'm kind of afraid of inquiring from a csr cause I might just screw up my SF locals. But maybe one of these days I'll get somebody I just might ask. I'd also like to drop the Monterey/Salinas locals and keep the SF grandfathered locals, but I don't want to stir the pot. One wrong move and I'd be back on D* if they took my SF locals away.

Tim

waltinvt said:
I don't think that option has worked on the Dish site for a long time Bob. At least when I tried it, it kept looping me back to qualifying for their analog locals.

When the site is up (i.e., not showing a message saying that they are having technical difficulties and to call customer service), for me it has boxes to check for CBS and ABC for all distant locations--along with rules that only two distants per network. I looked at it as recently as last week. In fact, since it was not showing the NBC blocks to check, I faxed in a copy of a recent NBC waiver letter I received directly from my DMA NBC station. But like most things, there is inconsistency in the way Dish handles distant stations!

hhkr said:
Yeah, it doesn't work. I'm kind of afraid of inquiring from a csr cause I might just screw up my SF locals. But maybe one of these days I'll get somebody I just might ask. I'd also like to drop the Monterey/Salinas locals and keep the SF grandfathered locals, but I don't want to stir the pot. One wrong move and I'd be back on D* if they took my SF locals away.
Tim

I think you are right not to stir the pot! At times I have had to work real hard to stop a CSR from going down the path of taking away my distant networks. I have found the best folks to talk with are actually HD tech support. Even though that is not their job, they speak the same brand of English and are reasonable when you explain your situation.

waltinvt said:

Walt, It may be because you do not have LILs now. Remember, I have both LILs and distant networks from both coasts. Bob

I wouldn't do a thing. As soon as their computers see that you're getting SF in the Salinas/Monterey ADI, the SF stations would be gone forever. I would hate to lose the group of stations from the Bay Area in exchange for the weak lineup provided for Salinas/Monterey.

rdinkel said:
When the site is up (i.e., not showing a message saying that they are having technical difficulties and to call customer service...

I've never been able to catch it when it was up! Is there a certain time of day thats better to catch it working that another? Would be much nicer to work with than with a CSR that cant speak english, or comprehend the english I speak. :rolleyes:

I guess a more simple questions is will CBSHD WEST on 129 be available those who now get it on 148. but DONT live in the LA DMA.

Will be able to swing my 148 dish over to 129 and still recieve it?

Paradox-SJ said:
I guess a more simple questions is will CBSHD WEST on 129 be available those who now get it on 148. but DONT live in the LA DMA.
Will be able to swing my 148 dish over to 129 and still recieve it?

First question is a Dish policy issue, but I think yes you should be able to view it off of 129 (once turned on) if you get it off of 148 now.

Second question is technical, but there is no reason why you could not move your separate 148 dish and use it to see for 129. Only issue is having a clear view of that location.

Kirby Baker said:
I've never been able to catch it when it was up! Is there a certain time of day thats better to catch it working that another? Would be much nicer to work with than with a CSR that cant speak english, or comprehend the english I speak. :rolleyes:

I have not been able to detect a pattern of when the site is up.

rdinkel said:
First question is a Dish policy issue, but I think yes you should be able to view it off of 129 (once turned on) if you get it off of 148 now.

Second question is technical, but there is no reason why you could not move your separate 148 dish and use it to see for 129. Only issue is having a clear view of that location.
Well, the MPEG-2/(fake)MPEG-4 issue might rear it's ugly head.

The 129 copies might be marked as MPEG-4. :(

I certainly hope not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)