Eastern Arc amplifier advice

BobMeans

Original poster
May 2, 2012
Hi All,

I lost a bunch of HD channels, contacted Dish and they said I needed to migrate to an Eastern Arc dish (1000.4, I'm guessing from my reading, but I might be talking out my youknowwhat). The tech came out to do the install, but said that he couldn't do it because the dish was too far from the house, about 100m or a little less. He said that the new dish has a lower signal than the one I currently have (no rain or snow fade at all) I have RG6 running to the house. I don't want to have to pull new wire, so can I get a line amplifier? If so, what one? Dish told me to contact a retail dealer, but none of them return my calls (hate having to recall and re-explain 10 times!!). I really want my HD back!!

Thanks,
Bob

If the current dish is working, the new one should. I don't see any reason that it wouldn't. 100m is a bit beyond a typical run but I've certainly performed DPP installs at that distance with no issues. 250ft is the recommended max from the dish to the receiver.

Your dish is definitely too far to be within specs, however if you had reception before on the 500 or whatever you had before then it should work. Did you have legacy LNBFs? They can have longer runs depending on where the switch is placed.

not sure?

I'm not sure if they are legacy LNBFs--the dishes were installed in about 2004 or 2005.

The switch is located in the building the dishes are mounted on, so about a 25-30 foot run from the dish to the switch and then 100m run to the receiver.

I guess I will have to get the Dish tech back out, have him do the install and then get an amp if I need it later--any advice on good models?

Your dish is definitely too far to be within specs, however if you had reception before on the 500 or whatever you had before then it should work. Did you have legacy LNBFs? They can have longer runs depending on where the switch is placed.

In the same sentence you are mixing Meters and Feet. Are you really talking about over 100 meters (over 300 feet) from the Dish to the Receiver? If it is really over 300 feet and you cannot relocate the Dish closer to the receiver then you have two options. 1) Replace the RG6 coax with RG11. 2) Upgrade to the Hooper and install the Node close to the dish (where you have the current Switch) and you will be fine with the 300ft to the receiver.

Sorry, I guess I think in both, I guess it comes from being American with a German wife (her preciseness hasn't rubbed off on me ,yet) and yes I mean about 100 meters or about 300 feet- since I don't know the precise distance a difference of 20 feet or so one way or the other didn't seem important, it just seemed like a nice round number. Saying 7 to 9 meters just seems odd-hence 25-30 feet.

Anyway, thanks for the advice-I'll look at the Hopper manual for distance specs.

Hopper specs are about 200 feet as well. If you want more, your best bet is to use RG-11 (and omit splitters and extra connectors.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts