Eastern Arc in a DMA whos locals are on Western Arc?

yawn9

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Hello,

I posted a similar question to this in the EA thread, but didn't receive much feedback..

I live in Cedar Rapids, IA, 52403. The condo I live in has an Eastern facing private patio, and I have permission from the landlords to install on it. The building will prevent LOS to all of the satellite positions except for those in the Eastern Arc.

According to the dishuser site, the Cedar Rapids locals are on 110. I have no intentions on getting my locals through Dish--I plan to use an OTA antenna. However, I see this as being a road block of getting a 1000.4 exclusively installed at my location.

Is there any way to get service with a 1000.4 pointed at the Eastern Arc in this scenario? Dish's CSRs just babble that Eastern Arc is available, but "the system" chooses which satellites a customer will be pointed at. Because my locals are on the Western Arc, I'm positive it picks the wrong arc for me because of those danged locals.

I live alone and have a pretty hectic job, so I don't want to request a few hours off for satellite TV installation unless it's actually going to get installed at that time.

EDIT: A couple clarifications: I was planning on getting a ViP722, and am going to subscribe to HD programming if it makes any difference

Last edited:
Seems to me your best bet is to talk to a local retailer. Not only will he have a better chance of circumventing "the system" roadblocks, but it'll help keep the business local if/when you ever need a service call.

Others have posted that when the installer has no line-of-sight to Dish's normal satellites, 110/119/129, they can get customers switched to Eastern Arc setups. Of course, some installers may consider your install an easy "No LOS" and cancel the order or others simply may not know about EA well enough yet.... Since your locals are on 110 currently, obviously Dish can't sell you the local-channel package, but you're okay with that. One negative might be that you won't get guide data on your 722 for those local channels. Having that guide data sure makes using the DVR a lot easier too !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)