Eastern Arc + International Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CuoreAzzurro

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hey everyone,

I have a few questions regarding the EA, just so I can have an some confirmed information for when I call back Dish Network tomorrow. I'll be calling in hopes of getting the new HD channels added today.

Currently I have 2 dishes, Super Dish and Dish 500, (at least I'm fairly sure it's a Dish 500). I live in CT and have one Dish at 61.5 for my HD locals (NYC) and the Super Dish is pointed at the Western Arc. (This is a setup that was installed for me about 2-3 years ago). I need to point at 119 for the international programming I have.

Earlier today I called Dish in hopes of finding out a way to get the newly added HD channels, to which I was told that it was impossible for me. I got a few different answers from two different CSRs (one of them being a supervisor). First off I was told that I could not simply switch over to the Eastern Arc unless I was having trouble with the line of sight of the Western Arc. Then I was told that the Eastern Arc is very limited and was not available in CT. (Which I know isn't true).

They told me my only option to view the new HD was to remove either my international programming or my HD locals. I'm not willing to either. I just want to know if there's a way to get around this. I'm willing to purchase and install a new dish myself, if that's what it takes. I've just never really been too experienced in the different satellite signals, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult to set up. I was told by another forum member to wait until tomorrow and call dish back, to see if they could do anything for me, but I would like to have some confirmed information before doing so. CSRs seem to lie about pretty much everything, or just plain not be very well informed on their own products.

So if anyone would be willing to give me their opinion on this whole thing, it would be VERY much appreciated.

If you have all MPEG4 receivers, you should be able to get a 1000.4 (eastern arc dish) with the Superdish 118 LNB as a rather large "wing dish". The 1000.4 has one input and 3 outputs for up to 3 duo HD receivers.

TheKrell nailed it perfectly

If you have MPEG4 recievers you can get a EA dish which sees 61.5, 72, 77. You would use the Dish500+ (not Superdish) for 118.7 (Int'l) only

What receivers do you have?

I have two 622's, so yes. I have all MPEG4 recievers. Is this something I would have to do myself? As it sounds like Dish doesn't want to do anything about it. If so, are there any tips you would have for someone who has never set up a dish before?

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their quick responses!

From the sound of it, it would seem like buying a 1000.4 dish and installing it myself would be the quickest and easiest solution then. Considering the response Dish had for me, I don't think they want to give me a 1000.4 dish. Heh... So much for being a loyal customer!

I just have a few last questions before I decide whether or not to go down this route. Is TheDishStore.net the best place to go if I want to buy a 1000.4 dish, or should I take other places into consideration such as ebay or Amazon? DishStore sells the 1000.4 at $100, while I'm seeing considerably cheaper prices on ebay. Have any of you had previous experience purchasing dish equipment on ebay? If I decide to go ahead with this transition, I'd like to have everything set up before the soccer game on sunday to see it in HD. :p So in that regard how is DishStore? I can't find any information on shipping costs or speed.

Finally, is there any way I could test the line of sight for the 1000.4 BEFORE buying one, to make sure that I'm not buying a Dish that won't end up working? My 500 works at 61.5, there shouldn't be any issues, right?

I'm pretty sure that's all for the moment. Thanks again!

dishpointer at the top of the page for your line of site issues. You'll be doing good if you can get a dish shipped before the weekend. A local dish retailer could have one for you tomorrow. Claude is a great seller, and stands behind everything he sells, which is worth a little more, IMHO.

Hey Guys, I just wanted to give you all a final update on my situation:

I decided to call dish network one last time before going ahead and buying and installing the dish myself, to see if they would possibly install it for me. After talking to a couple different people and explaining the situation to them, they all told me different reasons why I couldn't make the switch to the eastern arc. I was finally transferred to someone who was VERY nice and listened intently as I explained to her that I KNEW that it was possible to get Eastern Arc in my area, and went through the technical explanations of why that was and that all I needed was to have someone come out here and set up a 1000.4 dish.

I then told her that the new channels that were added yesterday were very important to me, and if I couldn't receive them I would have to switch providers. As soon as I said that, she put me on hold for quite some time. Finally she came back to tell me that she was working around certain errors in the system that was making it a bit difficult to set up, and to keep my upgrade cost low.

She put me back on hold, and then all of a sudden I got an email from Dish Network telling me about my service request. Before I could talk to her again my phone died and I lost the call! I had to call back to confirm the date on the order. I have them set up to come here from 8am-12pm this Sunday! Two hours before the soccer game starts! It couldn't have worked out any better!

The only thing I forgot to ask about was the cost to me for the upgrade, so I had to call back AGAIN. But that was totally my fault. And it's a good thing I did, too. They were going to charge me $99 for the upgrade, even though I signed up for the protection plan (yesterday:p). Once I told the CSR about that, he put me on hold and fixed that for me. So now I'm ALL set. :D

I just want to thank everyone for their help with this issue, and i'm REALLY thankful that SatelliteGuys exists. :p It's the only way to keep up with everything Dish Network does.

cool. Glad you got it all taken care of

It should (hopefully) be an easy install. Swap the 61.5 dish for a EA dish and unhook the cables from the Int'l dish except for 118.7
Hook that to the EA dish and rerun check switch :)

Thank's a lot Iceberg, I'll make a note of that so I can confirm that the technician is doing the right thing. :p

Just a quick question though, you had originally said to use my 61.5 dish (500) as my 118.7 dish, and remove the Super Dish all together. You've changed your mind on that?

no I havent changed my mind ;)

The 61.5 dish will be replaced with the eastern arc dish. This will give you 61.5, 72 and 77. This replaces all the programming that you get right now on 110 & 119. The existing D500+ (you call it a superdish but its actually a Dish 500+...the + being that you can get 118.7) will stay put and now be used as an International only dish.

The wiring is different. Right now you probably have a switch somewhere in the house (like a DP34 or possibly a DPP44). The Eastern Arc dish has the switch built in. The tech would run a cable from the D500+ dish (for internationals) over to the LNB on the Eastern Arc dish and then run the cables down to the receiver(s).

In essence its actually a cleaner setup wire wise :)

no I havent changed my mind ;)

The 61.5 dish will be replaced with the eastern arc dish. This will give you 61.5, 72 and 77. This replaces all the programming that you get right now on 110 & 119. The existing D500+ (you call it a superdish but its actually a Dish 500+...the + being that you can get 118.7) will stay put and now be used as an International only dish.

The wiring is different. Right now you probably have a switch somewhere in the house (like a DP34 or possibly a DPP44). The Eastern Arc dish has the switch built in. The tech would run a cable from the D500+ dish (for internationals) over to the LNB on the Eastern Arc dish and then run the cables down to the receiver(s).

In essence its actually a cleaner setup wire wise :)

Ohhhh Okay. I was unaware that the super dish was just a Dish 500+. Thanks for clearing that up! And a cleaner setup wire wise is ALWAYS a good thing!

Ohhhh Okay. I was unaware that the super dish was just a Dish 500+.
The original Superdish is pretty much useless because Dish changed around what services were available from which satellite locations. What happened was that Dish made available a Superdish Upgrade Kit that converted it to a Dish 500+ or 1000+. Perhaps you do indeed have a converted Superdish.

Okay, let me get this right, the EA dish has the switch included so I should remove my DPP44 from the line and just run straight to my receivers from the dish?

The EA dish has 3 outputs so if you need more than 3 receivers (dual are considered one since it can use a separator) then you need the DPP44

Product Features

* “Eastern Arc-compatible” receivers must be MPEG-4 (models) and must have the new G3 “Smart Card” encryption

* Capability to see all three Eastern Arc orbital locations (61.5 degrees, 72.7 degrees, and 77 degrees).

* Has one LNB In port for reception from a fourth orbital location.

* Has three DISH Pro Plus-capable receiver outputs – may be connected to a dual-tuner receiver with a DPP separator for a single-cable connection.