Eastern arc

Here's some numbers to support what I am saying. These are AVG readings for an aligned Dish...

119 transponders 14, 15, 16, 21 are all mpeg2 QPSK transponders. 61.5 transponders 10, 29, 31 are all mpeg4 8PSK transponders. 14 is still QPSK. (Are you sure you reported 14 right? And why are you using 10 with only a single unavailable channel on it?) Other than tp14, I see a trend here which is explicable due to the lower signal quality (greater error rate) when Dish uses 8PSK modulation. The FEC is adjusted upward to fix this so that we should get about the same number of dropouts we do with QPSK modulation.

I am not doubting your rain fade experience; I'm just saying I don't theoretically understand it, and I haven't observed it myself. In fact, my experience is the reverse of yours.

Those are from the Dish chart, and the only ones listed I didn't pick and choose, and not my actual readings, though as posted at the end mine are very close to those if not exact in many cases. I don't know why those were chosen?

Still, the scale on EA is lower than the WA scale, due to the differences in modulation. Comparing the numbers is basically meaningless, unless comparing EA to EA and WA to WA. When I switched from WA to EA in Jacksonville, I didn't notice much of a difference in rain fade.

Still, the scale on EA is lower than the WA scale, due to the differences in modulation. Comparing the numbers is basically meaningless, unless comparing EA to EA and WA to WA. When I switched from WA to EA in Jacksonville, I didn't notice much of a difference in rain fade.

Same here. I think Tampa, when he's in Tampa, prefers the WA because it looks out over the ocean with fewer thunderstorms than over land. From Jacksonville, your WA dish would be looking out over land, which is what my WA dish does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts