Eastern Ark and western ark

I've wondered about that, too. If you had both 129 and 61.5 signals, is the receiver 'smart' enough to switch to the other during weather related outage?
I have both 129 and 61.5, so I think I can answer this. I did some experimenting with "moving" to get Detroit locals, which are on spotbeams on both of those satellites. Where I am located, I cannot get that spotbeam signal from 61.5 at all, but the 129 spotbeam works most of the time. Unfortunately, when I connected the cable from my 129 LNB to the input port on my 1000.4 EA dish and ran a check switch, the Detroit locals were still only trying to get signal from 61.5, and I could not receive them at all. I had to cover the 61.5 LNB with foil and do a check switch again, completely removing 61.5, before the receiver would recognize that I had signal from 129. I assume that weather-related outages would be treated similarly to a lack of spotbeam signal in a fringe area.

If I remember correctly, the satellite that the receiver uses to try to tune each channel is determined by the guide matrix that is created during the guide download. So, in the case of channels that are duplicated on two or more satellites, the receiver will only look for the one that happened to be detected first during the guide download. The receiver will remain unaware of the duplicates. If you are using an external switch, you may be able to give one satellite priority over the others, by changing the order in which they are hooked up on the switch. In my case, the input port on the LNB takes lower priority than the built-in LNB's, apparently. I did this experiment with a ViP receiver. So, for all I know, the Hopper software could be completely different.

Reactions: papachops
These days, you might not even have to wait for it to take out the SD signal before it will automatically switch back to the HD signal. The Hopper software will continue checking the signal on the HD channel after the signal loss causes it to switch to the SD channel. As soon as the HD signal returns, it should switch back on its own, even if the SD channel still has signal.
You're right, it does switch back to HD as soon as the signal clears up. I should have made that clearer...

Judging by his past posts over several threads I believe he was on the full western arc to begin with until the dish was taken down for roof work. That is why he never had PTAT working. As you say, it's his choice whether PTAT or Cricket is that important to him.
I like cricket. I did ask though how I could get PTAT working, and the tech said that he would have to make the dish go east. So either I’ve got one dish that is pointed to 110, 118, and 119, or, well I don’t know what else alternative could be. I don’t think I have two dishes though, because if I did, you think that I would be able to get the 61.5 satellite, and my 118 satellite. :) I do wonder though, totally unrelated to this, sort of, if I had a dish outdoors Dish, which one would work best to be able to get the 118 satellite? Or would that depend on where I physically am? I’m guessing I would want one of those auto aiming dishes like the tailgater or something?

I like cricket. I did ask though how I could get PTAT working, and the tech said that he would have to make the dish go east. So either I’ve got one dish that is pointed to 110, 118, and 119, or, well I don’t know what else alternative could be. I don’t think I have two dishes though, because if I did, you think that I would be able to get the 61.5 satellite, and my 118 satellite. :) I do wonder though, totally unrelated to this, sort of, if I had a dish outdoors Dish, which one would work best to be able to get the 118 satellite? Or would that depend on where I physically am? I’m guessing I would want one of those auto aiming dishes like the tailgater or something?

None of the auto-aiming portable dishes like the Tailgater are capable of receiving the 118 sat. Also note that none of the portable auto-aiming dishes work with the Hopper series receivers.

Reactions: pattykay
None of the auto-aiming portable dishes like the Tailgater are capable of receiving the 118 sat. Also note that none of the portable auto-aiming dishes work with the Hopper series receivers.
I knew that it wouldn’t work with the hopper. That’s fine. What would I do if I wanted to access the 118 satellite dish if I were not at my home location? I’m guessing nothing?

I knew that it wouldn’t work with the hopper. That’s fine. What would I do if I wanted to access the 118 satellite dish if I were not at my home location? I’m guessing nothing?
One option would be a portable manually aimed tripod mounted dish. If you have 118 on your Hopper at home though, it would likely be easier to just use the DishAnywhere app either on a FireTVstick or a phone or laptop casting to a TV. That would require a reasonably good WiFi Internet service, but not the aiming expertise that a dish would need.

Reactions: pattykay
If your trying to get usable signals from the Eastern arc, and your using an offset dish, turn it upside down re-aim about 30 degrees up, you will now get a much better signal to noise ratio, no ground noise will be picked up, I did that many times, trade-off snow will build-up, if you get snow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)