Echostar 5 Moving

Can E6 cover every E3 TP, plus a few from R1/E12, given power problems on that sat, too? I didn't think E6 was in perfect health, either.

I believe it can. Last failure report had E-6 being able to provide 25 TPs in standard power mode or 12 TPs in high power mode. As far as I know E-6 failures are on solar array strings and not on amplifiers (TWTAs) like E-3 so there are not specific TPs that E-6 can not provide signal. E-12 was designed for only 13 TPs and all but one (TP 24) can be used in spotbeam mode. If E-6 were to take over all the CONUS coverage from E-12 then E-6 would be provding signal on 20 TPs and E-12 only 12. Another factor that could come into play is if Dish gets use of more than 16 TPs at 72.7 W. If this were to happen than the priority of Dish recovering use of the 4 TPs at 61.5 W that E-3 can not provide signal from would be less and perhaps E-6 goes to another slot such as 77 W.

Wow. Once you've worn out the Sanford & Son song, where do you go? Does Echostar have a corporate anthem? ;)

Well, I'm sure DirecTV's sats are not in pristine shape, either. Doesn't D10 have some kind of power issues already, preventing full use of it's spotbeams?

I believe it can. Last failure report had E-6 being able to provide 25 TPs in standard power mode or 12 TPs in high power mode. As far as I know E-6 failures are on solar array strings and not on amplifiers (TWTAs) like E-3 so there are not specific TPs that E-6 can not provide signal. E-12 was designed for only 13 TPs and all but one (TP 24) can be used in spotbeam mode. If E-6 were to take over all the CONUS coverage from E-12 then E-6 would be provding signal on 20 TPs and E-12 only 12. Another factor that could come into play is if Dish gets use of more than 16 TPs at 72.7 W. If this were to happen than the priority of Dish recovering use of the 4 TPs at 61.5 W that E-3 can not provide signal from would be less and perhaps E-6 goes to another slot such as 77 W.

+1

With E*12 having problems, I would expect E*3, E*6 and E*12 at 61.5 until the new satellite arrives there....

The problem is that E-3 and E-6 can't provide that much help for E-12 since Dish wants to maximize use of the E-12 spotbeams. That means using TPs 1 - 23 odd for spotbeams, that's a total of 12. Unless E-6 has had more failures, it should easily be able to provide the other 20 TPs. Dish also needs a satellite as a license holder at 148 W because I can't believe that E-5 will last that long there. It wouldn't matter where the E-3 downlink signal at 148 W is directed at unless it causes interference.

The problem is that E-3 and E-6 can't provide that much help for E-12 since Dish wants to maximize use of the E-12 spotbeams. That means using TPs 1 - 23 odd for spotbeams, that's a total of 12. Unless E-6 has had more failures, it should easily be able to provide the other 20 TPs. Dish also needs a satellite as a license holder at 148 W because I can't believe that E-5 will last that long there. It wouldn't matter where the E-3 downlink signal at 148 W is directed at unless it causes interference.

With all it's power issues, can E12 power all 12 TPs in spotbeam mode? As it is, TP17 is off now. TP23 has some temp channels on, but I don't know it it is on, either.

With all it's power issues, can E12 power all 12 TPs in spotbeam mode? As it is, TP17 is off now. TP23 has some temp channels on, but I don't know it it is on, either.

Last time I checked TP17 was not off. That TP has been blank and transmitting no video streams for quite a while. TP23 is also still on and is stronger than a few other TP's.

Echostar 5 arrives at 148W

Epoch Wed May 27 08:23:59 MDT 2009

Longitude 149.92W

Five (5) Km from Geostationary.

Should start to see transfer from Echostar 1.

Echostar 5 has full 32 Transponders while E1 only has the 16 odds, so when both odd and even transponders show up on "The List" things are happening

Aren't they going to have to put this thing is a graveyard orbit pretty soon?

It will be interesting to see how much life is left. I speculate they will let it wobble a lot more at 148, that will save fuel. Also, the amount of fuel is not really clear until the end of the tank. The closer to empty the tanks are the better the readings of the amount left in the tank. Reading the narratives on satellite launches they mention that the accuracy improves as the tank empties. It could have more life in it than was reported.

It will be interesting to see how much life is left. I speculate they will let it wobble a lot more at 148, that will save fuel. Also, the amount of fuel is not really clear until the end of the tank. The closer to empty the tanks are the better the readings of the amount left in the tank. Reading the narratives on satellite launches they mention that the accuracy improves as the tank empties. It could have more life in it than was reported.

That's good info to know. Thanks.

It's at 149.9+ and is drifting west at about 0.04 degrees/day which would put it at 148W Saturday. Presently licensed to transmit at 148W with Public Notice application to move to 147.92 filed on May 22. Thirty days public noticed required before final move can be approved ( ~June 22).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts