Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
EchoStar Announces Push/Pull Video on Demand Service Incorporated Into IPTV Transport Platform

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Oct 25, 2007 (PrimeNewswire via COMTEX News Network) -- EchoStar FSS Corporation (EFSSC), a subsidiary of EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH), today announced that it is offering a "push and pull" video on demand (VOD) service as part of its IPTV platform, ViP-TV. The launch of ViP-TV was announced earlier this week.

The VOD content for ViP-TV is based on EchoStar's existing VOD service, which is currently offered to DISH Network satellite TV subscribers. Because it is both a push and pull service, ViP-TV offers more movie and programming options than the current popular titles associated with a push-only VOD service.

The VOD service also includes the associated infrastructure support for customers' content delivery networks to help them maintain high-quality video transport to their end users.

"EchoStar's ViP-TV VOD service is robust out of the gates because it has already been developed and deployed as part of DISH Network," said Mike Kelly, executive vice president of EchoStar FSS. "All of the services associated with ViP-TV are supported by EchoStar's world-class infrastructure. We are committed to using state-of-the-art technologies to offer the highest-quality products and services to our customers."

ViP-TV offers over 300 local and national channels, push and pull VOD service and associated infrastructure support to telcos, private and rural cable operators, municipalities and master-planned community video providers that have obtained the rights for distribution of such programming over their wire-line networks. The service is delivered using a high-powered Ku Band satellite with full continental U.S. coverage, so it can be deployed rapidly and maintained at a low cost.

For more information about EchoStar, visit EchoStar Communications Corporation. For more information on ViP-TV, visit EchoStar ViP-TV™.

so what's this?

dish's entire programming is gonna be online?

No I think this is going to be a private IP system for smaller telcos that don't want to go through the expense of building an antenna farm but still want to offer some kind of television service via broadband.

Echostar will downlink and package the programming and ship it by mpeg4 IP to the telcos via fiber, or possible over 121 as a data stream rather than video. They can cram much more on the bird if it's a data stream.

No I think this is going to be a private IP system for smaller telcos that don't want to go through the expense of building an antenna farm but still want to offer some kind of television service via broadband.

Echostar will downlink and package the programming and ship it by mpeg4 IP to the telcos via fiber, or possible over 121 as a data stream rather than video. They can cram much more on the bird if it's a data stream.

Actually on 85W on AMC-16.

I'm looking forward to having the ability to schedule my DVR from my laptop kind of like HomeZone. Apparently around the 15th of November we will have access to this function.

Not to sound selfish or anything, but I have to ask the question: What does this mean for us (Dish Network subscribers)? Or is this just an interesting sidenote? My guesses: Nothing, and yes.

So if Echostar can use data to cram much more on a satellite if they use a data stream instead of a video stream, then is this how they may implement the new MPEG-4 service we will end up using next year? Perhaps this new service is going to be a bit different than what any of us thought. This could be how they are going to come up with all that space we were wondering about for the HD and locals using such a small 18 inch dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts