Echostar/Dish Satellite Fleet Status Changes

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
From the 1st quarter 2013 SEC 10Q reports.

EchoStar XIX. In March 2013, we entered into a contract for the design and construction of EchoStar XIX, which is expected to be launched in mid-2016. EchoStar XIX is our next-generation, high throughput geostationary satellite that will employ a multi-spot beam, bent pipe Ka-band architecture and will provide additional capacity for our HughesNet service to the consumer market in North America.

EchoStar VI and VIII. DISH Network leases satellite capacity from us on certain of our satellites. Beginning in the first quarter of 2013, the leases for the EchoStar VI and VIII satellites expired in accordance with their terms and DISH Network no longer leases capacity from us on these satellites.

EchoStar III. EchoStar III was originally designed to operate a maximum of 32 DBS transponders in a mode that provides service to the entire continental United States (“CONUS”). As a result of traveling wave tube amplifiers (“TWTAs”) failures in previous years, including the most recent failures in February 2013 and April 2013, only six transponders are currently available for use (spare status).

EchoStar XII. Prior to 2012, EchoStar XII experienced solar array anomalies that reduced the total power available for use by the satellite. During September and November 2012 and January 2013, EchoStar XII experienced additional solar array anomalies, which further reduced the total power available for use by the satellite
(spare status)

Isn't E6 only firing on a couple of transponders? I'm surprised Echostar can lease it to anybody!

Isn't E6 only firing on a couple of transponders? I'm surprised Echostar can lease it to anybody!
They put it in a inclined orbit to save fuel and have filed plans to move it east for Caribbean and South America. Kind of like what Directv did this year with one of their ancient ones (moved it to Russia to partially cover a failed launch).

Given all the solar cell failures, I wonder why they do not do more over provisioning of them, I would think they would be one of the lighter components of the satellite.

Given all the solar cell failures, I wonder why they do not do more over provisioning of them, I would think they would be one of the lighter components of the satellite.

the cells might be low in weight but they are high in surface area, and that needs to fit into the payload bay somehow.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

From an EchoStar FCC filing yesterday:: Consequently, pursuant to the existing STA granted on April 1, 2013,6 EchoStar 6 was
successfully repositioned to 96.2º W.L. on April 13 and is in operation there. EchoStar and SES
have commenced commercial development activities to leverage this asset to serve consumers in
the Atlantic Ocean region.7

Echostar XIX is Ka band which isn't the DBS band that they use. D* uses Ka some for spotbeam DBS locals in some areas but E* is using Ka for their 2 way IT stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)