Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
EchoStar Dishes Out Rate Hike

By Linda Moss 12/29/2005 1:15:00 PM

EchoStar Communications Corp.’s Dish Network is raising rates 4% on average in 2006, the direct-broadcast satellite provider confirmed Thursday.

EchoStar told retailers Dec. 22 that it planned price increases of as much as 9.4% on some of its tiers, Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. senior analyst Craig Moffett said in a report issued Thursday.

But the bottom line is that the various price hikes on Dish’s different packages will net out to about a 4% increase above 2005 rates, based on the $57.80 monthly fee its average subscriber pays, according to EchoStar spokesman Mark Cicero.

“Overall, across the board, it equates to only a 4% raise from our 2005 rates, well below the national cable average of about 6% of increases this year,” he said.

Dish raised prices an average of 4.3% in 2004, according to Cicero.

Read the rest at http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6294822.html?display=Breaking+News

I wanted to show the percentage for each year especially the raise to come and if I would have said 20% someone would have said that 11% and 8% does not equal 20% lol.

John Kotches said:
Math is math
Where were you about 18 months ago when I was having a very public feud on a popular AV forum over "the math" . No one would back me up in the thread but I got over 10 PM's stating my math was correct, and what I was stating was correct.
I finally dropped it, confident in the fact that I knew what I was talking about

Last edited:
John Kotches said:
Math is math....
...and greed is greed.

This was all started by the big jumps from the cable boys a couple of years ago.

I'm sure the folks at Direct will join the "fun" any day with an announcement. At least the sat greed is less than the cable greed, for what that's worth.

I pay for being able to get the same basic service anywhere I move, and to have nicer equipment than the junk comcast charged us $5 per TV for.

That's objectional, but these rate hikes are pissing me off. One more and I'll be able to afford DirecTV LOL

It isn't necessarily "greed" by Dish. As pointed out in another thread, all of the cable channels jacked up their prices, some substantially. If Dish didn't pass on those increase, they would lose millions, which would hurt their stockholders.

Dish is probably making a little off of this increase, but I doubt it is a lot.

It would be interesting to see what packages like AT60 and AT120 would cost without the sports channels.

11% for 2006, 8% for 2005, 20% total, big increase no matter which way you look at it. I never got a pay increase for this amount and inflation was not this high for the period either.

Dish1000 $59.99 INstalled

Dish speaks with forked tongue, Retailers Beware

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts