Echostar satellites

BK666

Original poster
Jun 12, 2004
I have a curiousity. If I wanted to, how would I go about connecting all the available echostar satellite (signals) to feed 6 receivers? (which I could accomplish on 3 dishes. 2 if I were to exclude echostar 1,2 & 4) just cascade a bunch of different switches together or locate a third party switch ?? :confused:

1 148
2 148
3 61.5
4 157
6 110
7 119
8 110
9 121
? 105

:eek:

(if I transposed any numbers, letters or words, well welcome to my world.. :rolleyes: )

Well, first, here is a link to an accurate list of birds.
E* has:
61.5=Echostar 3
105=AMC 2
110=EchoStar 6/8
119=EchoStar 7
121=EchoStar 9
148=EchoStar 1/2
157=EchoStar 4
That's 7 separate orbital locations that will take at least 4 dishes:
Dish300 for 61.5
SuperDish + stand-alone V/H dish for 105/110/119/121
Dish 500 for 148/157 - if in fact that will work - it should.

There are no suitable switches to do this, simply because the switch signalling doesn't allow for that many.

Just curious - where are you that you can even think about getting LOS to all these birds - top of Pikes Peak?

Just a question. I have line of site to all those birds via a H-H C/Ku-band rig for C/Ku/FTA/DVB, so why would it be out of the realm of possibility for fixed dish rigs that are manualy pointed? I am somewhat central US, so I assume those east of the MS river would be tough on 157 and 148?

Current Setup:
DishNetwork 811
UltraVision 65X500
HTS Premier 70 (C-band)
Samsung DSR-3800CI (DVB/FTA)
10' H-H Paraclipse
Dish500 (110/119)
Dish300 (61.5)
ReplayTV 4508
Yamaha RX-Z1
Toshiba SD-3750

I don't understand what you mean by "fixed dish rigs to not be manualy pointed". I manually aim little dishes all the time - that's what installers do. I haven't messed with BUD for several years - not worth the effort to me. Gave all my gear (2 BUDs, 4 receivers) to a friend to play with - his place looks like a uplink center. :)

Yeah - here in central Colorado, 61.5 and 157 are both about 26 degrees elevation. Move much east and it gets pretty hard to see 157. Move west, and 61.5 is too low.

You would not be able to see more than 4 satellites on a Dish network reciever. That is the most they are programmed to handle. There has been talk of some day perhaps 5 could be supported with a DPP44 and DP21 someday. But, I would bet only the newest boxes would have enough memory to support 5 satellites.

It could in theory be done with a toridal dish that "sees" 45 degrees plus 2 single Dish 300s. One Dish 300 pointed at 157 and one at 61.5 the Torroidal dish could then be used to pick up 105, 110, 119, 121 and 148.

Hey Simon: I edited my "fat finger" typing. With all the DVB & FTA stuff coming to North America these days, do you regret losing the BUD?

charper1 said:
Hey Simon: I edited my "fat finger" typing. With all the DVB & FTA stuff coming to North America these days, do you regret losing the BUD?
Nope - not in the least. They were a pain to sweep snow off of. You can cover the little dishes. :)

Plus, I've got more TV than I can watch now - my 921 is full. At least it's rerun season, so I'll be draining it off now.

You could do it with two separate receivers. One for the east and one for the west.
Probably not what you are thinking of though

Torroidal dish was dish number one.. The one in mind only has a 40 degree arc, that is all I really had looked for, so if others go further, I have not found them yet.
This would mean if I started at 104 degrees (105), I would be able to see up to the 144 (145) degree mark. dish #2 would be for 61.5, (providing it I can receive it.) The third would be for the other extreme of 148, I doubt 157 could be reached....

Pikes peak? Actually Mt. Whitney... uh, NOT! The original question stated meant IF it were possible as in being in a good location, I know full well I am not.. I wanted to know what the wiring would be like and equipment required, if the connections would be a rats nest.. :eek: (hi-freq splitters and lots and lots of switches or something neat and not looking like a bad hair day... )

I have relied on Lyngsat for satellite info.... The numbers of satellites I listed above are the echostar satellites what is next to the 1,2,3...9 is their locations.. the location numbers were easier to remember (memorize) than which was what.. I just didn't know what the one located at 105 was named..

I never bothered to look for an arch to show me if the smaller the number were in the east and larger in the west.. my bad. I do know that if I were about 5-10 miles up I'd have a great line of sight except I would suffocate as well, which could be entertaining in it's self, if only for a short time..

Oh, as to keeping the LOS clear from all that would get in the way, the dish also sports a high powered cutting laser that trims any tree or other item that would grow in the way of the dish... kinda bites when a plane, bird or parachuter gets in the way, nasty sunburn or blindness would occur, and that high speed it hits the ground at smarts too. uh huh.. right.

Ok, I think in the physical world, I would stick with just 4 or 5 satellites..
I take it dish receivers do not automatically remove duplicate channels.

As for the Torroidal dishes, of the only two I have found, the smaller one does a separation of 4 degrees between satellites and the larger one does a 40 degree arc with a 2 degree separation... to receive... 105, 110, 119 and 121..For which I will probably stick with, and be slightly disappointed... yeah, right.
so does it really matter that he 105 has a linear beam vs to the rest of them?
And will 119 drown 121 out?

Dish once carried a lot of diagrams for setting up the wiring of systems, but seem to have narrowed them down after a few years..

I am aware that there are multi switches out there, that if they share the proper specification, that they can receive multiple satellites. But they do defeat the purpose if the (flash??) memory that holds the channels, isn't large enough to hold more than 4 maybe 5 satellites.
I do know there are switches for non-dishNetwork Systems, that allow 8 satellites to be picked up and delivered to 6 or more receivers, but they are rather out of reach for most people, as in money..

Now tell me your eyes didn't pop out and explode or go running off with a dustbunny, with that response of what I typed.... The multi stand alone mini system was not what I would have been looking for. IF I were to go THAT route I would take an alternate route altogether... as in ... yeah, yeah, those FTA receivers... that have... those extra smart card slots that um.... soooooooooooooo, how's the weather? ;)

OK, did i just show all, my ignorance in one msg... ??

last note.. (gawd, don't you hope it is?) With The Torroidal dishes, I would have hoped it would allow enough LNB's that I would not ever have to deal with one dish that moves H-H, but am beginning to see how it has it's own uniqueness..

I don't REALLY need all the expensive and newest and greatest receivers.. but I uhhh, have my eye on that DVR921 receiver.. yes, my bad...

BK: It's nice that you're starting to get into this stuff, but yes, you do have a ways to go with understanding how it all works. Lemme just ramble a bit into some of your questions from above.

E* doesn't need more than 4 birds to get everything needed - at least I've never seen much of a reason. For example, 61.5 and 148 are the same except for locals. 105 is nothing but locals. 157 has copies of some stuff on 110, plus locals.

So, 61.5 plus 110 to 121 if you're east, 110 to 148 if you're west. I'm ignoring locals.

Pikes Peak is a much better location for 'bird' watching than Mt. Whitney. :D And PP isn't even 3 miles high - but flatlanders do tend to crump if they stay up that high for very long. Me, I only have to breathe 3 times a day at sea level, and have to smoke to avoid oxygen poisoning. :D

Sure would like one of those laser dishes - we've got lots of tall pine trees around here.

So, unless you're just wanting to play around, there's almost never any need to hit more than 3-4 satellites. If you want to play, get a BUD and go for it.

if knowledge is power, I am certaining in no way harmful to anyone

uhhh.. I'll have to purchase a house with a yard larger than postage stamp for a BUD. There's just no room with those other 73 dishes back there.. :rolleyes:

the bad thing about that cutting laser, is the neighborhood lights go dim when in use...

but seriously...

(It doesn't say anything in the TOS, about posting links, does it..?)

http://www.system-high.com/dishsolution.asp

I also have a curiosity about wasting my time on creating a converter for dish to DiSEqC ... uhh, for no apparent reason... or was it the other way around... well, doesn't matter.. :shocked

but still... terrifying isn't it?

btw, thanks for everyones assistance.. (since u don't know me, I don't have to type, " I meant that seriously " ;) )

You bet - posting links to good stuff you find is encouraged. The one you've posted seems to be for a Legacy LNBF setup.

DishPro is DiSeqC compliant (I think "I" got the acronym right :))

And you're welcome - seriously. ;)

Well even if the largest torroidal dish you find is only 40 degrees you can still do it with 3 dishes. Use a Dish500 to get 157 and 148, the torroidal to get 121, 119, 110, 105, and a dish 300 to get 61.5. Note 121 and 119 are different frequencies (Ku-DBS vs Ku-FSS), so being close has no real problems.

157 does not have programming on it, you notice they have 3 transponders uplinked, but they mirror transponders on other satellites. They are just "testing" the satellite. Now Dish is in the bidding to buy the rest of the 157 satellite at auction. Perhaps one day they will do something with that slot.

Change of subject, actually there is two, but the other escapes me at the moment..
Is the any Internal Card, for the pci bus, within a PC.. That, ummm... " DishNetwork On a Card" with a smart card sticking in it's end plate?

This is #3, Explain how the new dishnutwork pro vs the legacy version vs 22khz vs DiSEqC 2.x vs. forcing a dual LNB to provide one side as V and the other as H, and then taking it from there to deliver it to... oh, what was it... 16 receivers.. but not to make it too difficult, uhhh.. 6 satellites.. ( the one point in this that will stand irrelevant is how much memory is in ANY given dish receiver has and how many satellites it can download.. it just is... ;) (it's probably 1200 channels, if they are a good little company keeping up with .... oh, who am I fooling you could pick up 3600 channels and Dish would only allow u to actually view 300 of them.. unless u umm, placed it in ummmm, a test mode. )

mike123abc said:
Well even if the largest torroidal dish you find is only 40 degrees you can still do it with 3 dishes. Use a Dish500 to get 157 and 148, the torroidal to get 121, 119, 110, 105, and a dish 300 to get 61.5. Note 121 and 119 are different frequencies (Ku-DBS vs Ku-FSS), so being close has no real problems.

157 does not have programming on it, you notice they have 3 transponders uplinked, but they mirror transponders on other satellites. They are just "testing" the satellite. Now Dish is in the bidding to buy the rest of the 157 satellite at auction. Perhaps one day they will do something with that slot.
thanks... i figured that out even before my first post, but I seem to include waay too much text is my postings, so when I rewrote it.

but thanks anyway. :)

then my mind wandered off to the Ka-Band... ;)

Btw, has anyone ever asked dishnetwork's for technical assistance and got a response of.. ( it may be worded differently, but it still means ) " I don't know. "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts