Echostar to buy Hughes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Frank7004 said:
There are many other ways for someone to get internet. I remember the days when I had to go to the library to get to the world wide web. How did I change that...I got off my butt, worked hard and now for some reason, im able to afford nice things. Isnt America great! :)

The target market for the products is rural america. Not everyone in rural america can afford a $ 150 internet bill and I doubt a library is easily accessible in the boondocks. I worked hard to get where I am, multiple degrees and years of college and military. However, I do realize and remember we needed help sometimes along the way when I was a kid. # Imjustsaying

Wasn't Hughes the original owner of Direct TV when it was still a GM subsidiary? Too bad D* changed hands a bunch of times, or Charlie would now own them and that yearly rumor would be no more.

mboron said:
Wasn't Hughes the original owner of Direct TV when it was still a GM subsidiary? Too bad D* changed hands a bunch of times, or Charlie would now own them and that yearly rumor would be no more.

He tried to buy D* a long time ago. Government said no. How Sirius and XM merged is foreign to me.

Pretty sure Hughes is Ku & Wild Blue is Ka.
At least one of their satellites, Spaceway 3, is Ka band. It resides at 95W.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Charlie pitching the Hughes broadband to Congress as a part of the solution to universal Internet access.

Great news. The American tax payers will help pick that tab up! lol.

"Eligible households that qualify can get high-speed satellite Internet at a significantly reduced price.* This limited time offer is made possible through the Recovery Act program established to help bring high-speed Internet to unserved areas in the U.S."
Satellite Internet - High Speed Internet Service Provider | HughesNet

Isn't that already money set aside for this. Which means we aren't paying for it. We have already paid for it.

I think the key to Hughes expanding their business is lowering their price. Right now, they aren't price competitive with cable, FIOS, DSL, or 3G cards, by and large. That means their target demographic is basically people who live in very rural areas who can't get Internet (other than dial-up) any other way, and who can afford to shell out extra for it.

With a better price, though, I could see their business really taking off. When people who were previously going with cable for their TV and Internet "cut the cord" and switch over to Dish Network or whatever for television, it's a natural for them to also say "Oh yeah, put in a dish for the Internet, too" if the price is right. Maybe they could bundle it with Dish television service at a discount the way cable companies bundle their television and Internet together.

If the price were right, I'd be in the market for something like this. I can't afford to pay the cable company an extra "No television fee" (Nor am I willing to, just on principle), I've had major issues with the local phone company in the past and won't deal with them for DSL, and the 3G card I use is pretty slow and throttled after a certain point. If I could log into my Dish Network account online and click a box to get Hughes at $30-$40 a month with speeds fast enough to support Netflix streaming well, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat. It all comes down to price, though -- HughesNet prices as they stand are way out of my price range and unacceptably high relative to their competitors.

Wouldn't this move by Charlie fit into President Obama's idea/notion of internet access to everyone who doesn't have access to Hi-speed internet? I can just see it now, Charlie and President Obama kicking it together. (Hey Mr. President tell the courts to rule in my favor, in the Tivo case) :D:D:D

Wouldn't this move by Charlie fit into President Obama's idea/notion of internet access to everyone who doesn't have access to Hi-speed internet? I can just see it now, Charlie and President Obama kicking it together. (Hey Mr. President tell the courts to rule in my favor, in the Tivo case) :D:D:D
LMAO :) AND THEN THE PROGRAMMING GOES OFF DUE TO PROGRAMMING DISPUTE :D

Yes, the reality is that it would never happen, but it is somewhat ironic that Echostar, many years later, would buy the parent company of their current competitor.

going a bit off topic here, but maybe Charlie could get them to turn down the volume on their commercials! :)

Weren't the new satellites going to be capable of much more bandwidth and fewer FAP restrictions? If they can get the price down, faster speeds and FAP restrictions that are not as bad as they are now along with wifi transmission as an uplink to lower latency then they might be onto something there.

I think the expansion of internet to rural areas being funded by the Govt is for land based, such as DSL, Optical and cable. I know a lot of telco companies that are expanding, some with the help of the Govt's others on their own because if they take the help certain rules come with it.

Regardless it seems to me that satellite Internet will be facing a lower and lower market of customers with this rural expansion so hopefully they have another game plan. Yes there will still be areas which can only be servered by satellite but I feel by 2015 or so that 50% of the areas which have no choice but satellite today will have other choices. I could be wrong but I feel the days for satellite access have peaked. Charlie is too smart not to see that and there almost has to be another plan.

I can't wait to see what it is!

Its a no brainer to buy an established customer base that will likely stay because its the only solution. There are tens of thousands of VSAT dishes installed in the past decade that are still operational. The home users of the new smaller dish technology may leave for wireless solutions but the corporate base will stay for the stable platform.

Could this purchase be more about making the current Google TV and other content on-line a bit more accessible to rural folks, and if handled properly offer Dish a kind of "pipe" to other customers to support Dish's attempt to make Google TV function for those who don't have land based broadband? The future looks like, not only TV Everywhere, reflected in Charlie's acquisition of Sling, but also content via broadband internet, and Charlie needs some kind of pipe and network to even begin to make DBS competitive in this emerging arena. Echostar also has excess capacity that could be used for such downloads while still not the kind of pipe land-based broadband is, but it keeps Dish above water with some kind of hybrid and the terrestrial spectrum could play a role in such a network

Could this purchase be more about making the current Google TV and other content on-line a bit more accessible to rural folks, and if handled properly offer Dish a kind of "pipe" to other customers to support Dish's attempt to make Google TV function for those who don't have land based broadband? The future looks like, not only TV Everywhere, reflected in Charlie's acquisition of Sling, but also content via broadband internet, and Charlie needs some kind of pipe and network to even begin to make DBS competitive in this emerging arena. Echostar also has excess capacity that could be used for such downloads while still not the kind of pipe land-based broadband is, but it keeps Dish above water with some kind of hybrid and the terrestrial spectrum could play a role in such a network

Satellite Internet isn't fast enough to run a VIP rcvr.

Wasn't Hughes related to D* at one time?

Hughes started DirecTV. Hughes was owned by GM, and started DirecTV. Then Hughes bought USSB and merged it with DirecTV. Eventually GM spun off Hughes and that was about the time that Charlie tried to buy them (while they still had DirecTV) and it failed. At some point Hughes spun out DirecTV, I think at the time that News Corp bought DirecTV. Since then they've been separate companies, though I think they still have a relationship regarding HughesNet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)