Ecoda 22Khz reliability

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjs812

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Jupiter, FL
I just had a new Ecoda go bad after two days, it stoped switching to the 22Khz side. I know these are supposed to be good switches. Did I maybe just get a hold of a bad one?

I haven't had any trouble, and haven't seen others report problems with the Ecoda 22khz.
One rule to follow, though, is to turn off your receiver with the switch on the rear (or pull the power cord) before attaching or removing -any- coax cables.

What did you have the Ecoda wired to?
Some seem to get away running a motor after the switch, but that is asking for trouble.
Is it possible you have a motor, other switches, and a lot of LNBs connected to the Ecoda?

What did you have the Ecoda wired to?
Some seem to get away running a motor after the switch, but that is asking for trouble.
Is it possible you have a motor, other switches, and a lot of LNBs connected to the Ecoda?

It it wired Receiver---> motor---> Diseqc---> ecoda.
There are four lnbs, right now. Motor on port 1, stationary on port 2, two staionarys port 3, with ecoda, I'm going to be using port 4 for another dish I haven't put up yet.

The weird thing is it went bad in the middle of watching something on that lnb. Everything was good, than nothing...it was gone. I thought maybe weather related since we had a lot of rain last night, and it is a Phase III dish for WSTV, so I wasn't to concerned about it. But after testing this morning it was the ecoda.

Something else to consider...
There's recent thread here about how these Ecoda switches are passing power on both ports no matter which one is selected with the 22k signal. I tested mine and it is indeed doing that too. That can't be good for the receiver's power supply powering 2 LNB ports at the same time all of the time. I swapped mine out with a Diseqc switch.

It it wired Receiver---> motor---> Diseqc---> ecoda.
I could see that being a big load on the receiver, but within spec.
Seems quite a reasonable hookup plan.
The weird thing is it went bad in the middle of watching something on that lnb.
Everything was good, then nothing...it was gone.
...it is a Phase III dish for WSTV, so I wasn't to concerned about it.
For about a second there, I was wondering if the big Phase III LNB/Switch pulled too much power, then I realized you weren't using it if you're watching Whitesprings! - :D
Now, if you'd been watching NASA on 119° circular, with the original LNB/switch, I might have wondered.

I'd chalk it up to random failure, and not worry too much about it.
. . . unless someone else can come up with a better theory.

My conclusion, after reading this thread, and experiencing the experiment of trying to run two motorized dish on the Ecoda 22k switch, is that it would only work with two fixed dishes with just FTA lnbs. It might be that there may have been a bad batch of 22k switches from the Ecoda manufacturer. Running power on both 22k and 0k sides makes me really leary...
I am emailing the company about this issue, and hopefully will have something to share with you all.

Any storms in your area? Does not need to have lightning to have electrical activity. I remember the boat dealer telling me that he gets a couple of boats in with the power pack (ignition module) blown after a strom passes through. I also have been out on a cloudy day fishing, and hearing sparks coming off the end of my fishing pole (graphite compound) as I raised my pole to cast. No lightning in the area, but that was enough for me to get off the lake. Just another possibility to explain why it might fail. Is the dish grounded? Could also be just a malfunctioned component inside. Most of this stuff is assembled pretty cheaply.... sometimes one wounders how it works in the first place.

Wescopc recently brought to our attention that he had noted that the 22 ports were reversed on some Ecoda switches that he had in stock. When we compared the switches we noted that the housing cast was different and the f-fitting ports were elongated on the units with the reversed 22K ports.

GEOSATpro partners with Ecoda to import 22KHz switches and we have determined that there are clone 22K switches in the North American market. Ecoda engineers have indicated that their design places the 22K port on the right side port. Ecoda does not source the housing and all units should have the same length of ports.

Update: Other reports place the ports opposite and the elongated ports, so we have an email into our supplier requesting clarification of the products.

Here is a photo of the GEOSATpro cobranded switch manufacturered by ECODA.

8840.jpg

0k port is on left / 22k port is on right

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Brian!
It looks like I was sent a clone on Ebay from "UltimateSatHobby"
I didn't notice the misspelling on the box until just now.
Below are pics of it.

Attachments

• ecoda1.jpg
    ecoda1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 227
  • ecoda2.jpg
    ecoda2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
WHAT ?

Can anyone who got an ECODA from Ultimate Sat Hobby a year or two ago, take a look at theirs and report?

Also, can others who've bought the product, let us know when they got it, what the source was, and if it's clone or not?

I'd like to see a picture of an older real switch.

I also bought 2 Chieta switches from the same guy. I wonder if those are clones too. :mad:
I bought all of the switches in December 2008. I just checked and the guy is still on Ebay selling the stuff.

I did not get mine from Sat Hobby, all though it looks just like DJ Robs pic. Mine came from MXmart. I was just looking around randomly at a half a dozen or so websites, and all the ecoda 22k switches look the same...If they are clones I havn't seen anyone selling a real one.

Right.
USH has been one of the main suppliers of these switches for several years.
Both on Ebay and through their web site.
And there have been few if any reported failures on the forum (to the best of my recollection).

edit:
The Final Answer -
Here is the picture right on the Ecoda web site.
If for any reason, that link doesn't work, here is their English web site; the 22khz is under Multiswitch.
I'm not surprised that Ecoda themselves are the source of the bad spelling. :)

Last edited:
Right.
USH has been one of the main suppliers of these switches for several years.
Both on Ebay and through their web site.
And there have been few if any reported failures on the forum (to the best of my recollection).

I wonder if they are even aware they are selling clones. You would think they would have to...

Mine works...kind of.
The 22k tone would control which port the 950-2150 Mhz spectrum would go to. But it is passing DC to both ports all of the time which is probably a bad thing. I wouldn't have known that except for testing mine because of this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...etting-up-ecoda-22k-switch-traxis-3500-a.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)