EHD Failure

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
Well, it happened. The click-click-click of a seek error on my 2T WD Mybook. Countless recordings of shows probably never again aired in my lifetime. Life goes on, but to protect myself in the future:

1. Is anyone using a mirrored EHD with their hopper? What model & what's the drive capacity?
2. Is anyone routinely cloning their EHD for archival backups? If so, what's the software and techniques you're using.

Thanks!

The click-click-click of a seek error on my 2T WD Mybook. Countless recordings of shows probably never again aired in my lifetime.

Argh! There are probably 4 or 5 ext3 partitions on that drive. Are all of them inaccessible from a PC that can read ext3 file systems? I suffered the loss of a 1.5TB WD disk, but it only affected one partition which (lucky me) had no programs on it.

I'm using one of these, set to RAID 1 for redundancy:

MyBook_Duo_Hero_HigRes_250.jpg

https://jet.com/product/detail/7046...A7hZFW1ksnVNJyCHkOnFAhoC4qTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have 3 RAID setups. I'm collecting programs I'll never live long enough to see.

Not at home now to give model numbers.

Hardware RAID arrays are undetected by Dish receivers and they should all work.

Some have posted about using Linux to clone drives but I don't do that so I can't help you there. You COULD pull and replace one of the two RAID 1 drives and thereby keep a backup copy. The RAID box will clone the filled Drive onto the replacement fresh drive. Might take hours though.

Thanks for the replies...

Argh! There are probably 4 or 5 ext3 partitions on that drive. Are all of them inaccessible from a PC that can read ext3 file systems? I suffered the loss of a 1.5TB WD disk, but it only affected one partition which (lucky me) had no programs on it.
I'm always leary of putting other OS drives into windows as it (at least used to) write to the disks.

In my case, with a seek error it can't be read on any system.

patmurphy - thanks for the link.

navychop - working for a large software company at their online network in 1995, that's how we cloned drives - by taking one drive out after the hardware array cloned it to the original. And it did take hours!

Reactions: navychop
On my old WD 500G EHD, the important stuff not available on DVD, I try to dub over to a DVD. Only in 480i, but still pretty decent. That way I at least have a copy if the EHD dies.

I was pleasantly surprised (if not amazed) at how much of my lost programming is available at the Library on DVD. They even ask for suggestions for what content they should add, so I've given them my list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts