EHD Recording Transfer from 622 to 722k Failed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ThomasTrain

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Here is the situation:

I have been a user of 622s for a longtime and also had EHD on my account since it was announced. I decided to take a the plunge and purchase a replacement 722K for one of the 622s. Everything with the activation of the new 722K went smoothly and I kept the 622 it is replacing active on the account until I got all my contact and timers transferred: Therein lies my issues:

1) Timer backup. I attempted to timer backup to the new 20.0 remote on my 622 using the Menu -> Menu -> next option and it failed everytime I tried to do it. Interestingly, the receiver was able to determine the different between the6.3remote and the 20.0 by stating my remote wasn't compatbile if I attempted with the 6.3 remote. But with the 20.0 remote, it appeared that it would work, then abruptly failed every time. I'm rather annoyedthat Dish would put that 'feature' in the 622 software if is doesn't work but hey, not a big deal, I just used remoteaccess to resetup all my timers on the new 722K. (much faster than using the receiver to do it)

On to the major problem: Content transfer: :mad:

2) I plugged my EHD into the 622 and validated the reciever saw the existing content and repeated the same procedure on the 722K just to ensure the EHD activation had correctly applied to the new 722K. Everything showed up correctly (yeah!).

Then I began transferring all of my 622 internal drive content to the EHD and everything transferred over without issue. I checked the EHD on the 622 and everything was there. Next I moved the EHD to the 722K and it also saw all the content (woohoo, this might actually work!) So I selected all the content I wanted transferred back to the 722K and Since the transfer was going to take 4+ hours, I went to bed.

This is where the fun begins, Upon waking up, I checked the status and noticed that only about 9 of the roughly 85 shows were transferred back. Ok, I'll just access the EHD and reselect them.. BUT WAIT, I now have no shows listed on my EHD!!!! WTF!!!!! :rant:

I powered off the drive and reset the 722k, but still the same issue. I know the content is still there because the receiver sees the drive with 320GB out of 750GB remaining available but nothing shows up in the list.

So I move the EHD back to the 622 and the exact same issue, no shows listed but 320GB free. WTF!!!! :rant:

I even powered off the the drive for an hour to let it sit for a bit and still no dice. I tried calling dish for tech support but waited on hold for 45 minutes and finally gave up.

Does anyone have and idea what I can do to recover my content? :confused:

You probably have a corrupt program (folder) on the external drive (that one is already lost). This causes it to be unable to load the directory. What kind of drive is it?

You can probably get it (mostly) back with a linux e2fsck. Dish should add this to the PVR. But, since they haven't....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-drive-archive-bug-thread-29.html#post1887854

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-drive-archive-bug-thread-29.html#post1887894

Note: I've had problems with some drives and the 622. I wouldn't be surprised if the corruption reoccurs. Also, it wouldn't hurt to reformat the drive once you get all your shows off of it (must delete the partitons on a pc).

Thanks for the information. I did try the e2fsck method and no problems were found with the partitions. I also checked the DishArc folders and there does not appear to be any files or folders and I do not have a DishArc2 folder as I read in one of the other posts in the thread.

Interestingly, I did see a number of files in the 'lost+found' folder and tried to move one of those folder back to the DishArc folder but that didn't seem to work either.

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones where a bug is dish's code has bascially caused all of my content to 'become corrupted'.

I assume you ran scan disk on all paritions.

All partitions (except the small first one) should have a disharc folder. All your disharc folders are empty ? I think your out of luck.

One other thing I've found is where a program folder seemed to be corrupt. The drive appeared empty. I formatted a 2nd drive then used a linux pc to move the folders from one drive to the other until I found the bad one (was a painful process). You also have to make yourself an administrator to move the folders.

Some people have had luck asking dish for a rehit of the drives. But if this was your problem, I believe you'd be getting a message that the drive is formatted on for another receiver and needs a reformat.

So, did you say the drive is not showing any programs, but not correct amount of space is showing as available ? How big is the lost&found folder ?

I did confirm that the Disharc folder existed but was empty on the second and third partition.

I was able to move a few of the folders out of the lost+found folder and get them to show up on the receiver, but these were shows that I had intentionally deleted several months ago.

The available space on the drive was showing as 320GB which was consistent with the available space that was displayed on the drive prior to attempting to transfer the shows from the EHD to the 722k.

As far as the rehit, everything worked fine if I moved another show to the EHD and then back again so I know the drive format and the house key are good.

After having zero luck with recovering anything, I just moved on and transferred the shows from my other 622 to a differnet 722k, using this same EHD, and everything when without issue.

Not quite sure why the first transfer of shows crapped out... I guess I just have to chauk it up to a software glitch where the receiver just didn't like what it saw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)