Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
Eight Rack Mount Receivers: Free to a New Home

We have eight Traxis DBS2800 rack mount receivers that are out of warranty and have the problematic failing capacitors in the power supply. The facility requested another brand for replacement and did not want the units back. Not worth sending these units back to the distributor for repair, so we will make them available to you.

We have not tested, but understood that 6 of the 8 are working, two units already were repaired and two are requiring repair. We will not test before shipment.

Headed for Recycling or...... Pay the shipping and three or all are yours!

Shipping Costs within the Continental US:
3 - 4 units $25
All 8 units $35
or free if shipped on your FedEx, UPS or DHL account!

The units will go to the first replies to this thread claiming 3 to 8 of the units until all 8 units have a home. Please do not call or PM.

Our staff will PM you for billing and shipping information.

DSCN2083.JPG DSCN2084.JPG

Last edited:
I just turned on my computer and this popped up. I do not want to look gready, but I need more than 8 for the property..... and At this price and with the capacitor problem -- well building or converting the power supplies to run off 12 or 24 volts DC will be a good project.

Thanks Brian. I hope I can get a schematic.
POP

Processed, packaged and sitting on the loading dock for the late PM pick-up! One heavy box (57lbs.) headed your way! Thanks rv1pop!

And I thank you Brian. Even Gerrie thinks this is GOOD! Are Power supply schematics available for these? Through you or where?

You better keep your solder iron hot and ready to repair. The power supplies on these things go out more often than an 18 year old with a fake ID.... :eek: LOL!

But seriously, The power supply looks pretty simple and failing capacitors are easy to identify. We don't repair the Traxis brand and have no schematics. Please contact the distributor, DMSI for assistance. They probably will want you to send the receivers in or might have some replacement power supplies for sale?

Pop - keep us informed in this thread as to your progress/success with 'em.
I have an idea what your plans are, so some pictures when you get 'em installed would be nice , too.

And if DMSI comes through with any help, that would be good to know.

Thanks, Brian. I still have some contacts at The Boeing Company, and if anyone can get information, they can! It has been 5 years since I was there, though, so I had better hurry, before everyone I knew retires. When I figure out what voltages are needed, designing and building power supplies should be easy. (If I can keep my memory - or was it all Anointing? - working!) Getting them small enough to go inside the box might be a problem, but with rack mount and external cables should be NO problem.

Pictures??? me post pictures? I was going to post some pictures of wind damage, but I thought people might think it was April Fools. But will start a thread.

Typically the motherboard requires multiple voltages in the ranges of 2.5, 3.3, 5and 22vdc. The power PCB usually has the voltages printed near the pin outs.

If you don't plan on transporting this set-up, I would simply build a single power supply converting the 12vdc source to the multiple voltage requirements in a rack mount case then ribbon cable runs to each receiver. (yes, we sell 19" x 36" floor, open rail, rack mounts). Wacky Willy's or another computer / electronic clearance store should have the surplus parts. I would think that you could build a 12vdc power supply to power all eight receivers for less than $20. You might check out what is available for powering a PC on 12vdc. Should have similar voltage requirements.

Thanks again Brian, I have enough parts including an 8 foot and a 26" high rack mount. 800 feet of 8 conductor cable and probably design schematics from old PSs I used to work with. Convert the 12 VDC to 400 or 800 HZ audio at 56 volts then rectify it to the right DC volts. Makes a VERY efficient and cheap power supply. C-141 AWLS had 400 HZ aircraft power, but we built adapter supplies for aircraft and testers that did not! A cheap audio transformer can double that to 115 VAC. And of course a very cheap oscillator (3 to 5 parts) and a car stereo power amp make a quick 200 watt AC source for any lightweight power supply!

Got the package from FedEx yesterday AM, on way out of town. Got box out and unpacked this am. Have not powered them up yet as found I had more storm damage than I thought... will discuss that on wind thread on the Shack.
So far the only bad cap visible is C2 on main board. But with the snow and COLD wind this AM - YUCK! Now up to almost 40 outside, but with the wind only about 60 degrees inside... Brrrr.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts