Electronic Close Caption, exists?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enb141

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Central America
Most of us use and know about EPG Electronic Programming Guide in were you download via internet or from your satellite but what about Electronic Close Caption, with this we virtually will be able to watch any channel with our desired language, for example those channels in 97°W that are not in english could have Electronic Closed Caption so we non Arabs, Russians, Etc. could read in english/spanish/french or any other language this channels.

In USA it is mostly a limited choice. SAP and CC are in Spanish. Many FTA receivers don't do CC. However, ProgDVB does a pretty good job for those that use a USB or PCI card.

Closed Caption is great for a TVG unit.

TVG checks the caption for foul language.
When it finds bad language; cuts the sound out.

Some of us hate bad language.

-

In USA it is mostly a limited choice. SAP and CC are in Spanish. Many FTA receivers don't do CC. However, ProgDVB does a pretty good job for those that use a USB or PCI card.

Uhm... it is my understanding that by law it's required for every channel to have CC for any new programming they air, and it's mostly in english, just a few channels have it in spanish, this to help people with hearing disabilities. So far i have not found a single FTA that doesn't do CC but they might exist, specially those imported from places where it's not used so Line 21 it's not displayed altogether.

M.

yes it does exist , most receivers support it and a lot of channels use it as well , but remember that unlike a pay tv STB like Bell or DN you have to turn CC on your TV menu as well. for us using either component or HDMI cables then there is no way to use CC unless we use Composite A/V or the modulated ch3/4 coaxial output.

In general it uses the same language that the audio carrier has, as it is intended as an option for the hearing impaired. Mandatory for new programming in NA BTW. Only some ABC Prime Time shows show also other language CC (Spanish in this case).

Most CC is passed to video out with FTA channels, no? You can set your tv to CC1 and see the captions. Some HDTV STBs have the option to display CC, just in case your tv doesn't display it. DW-TV has no CC.

Uhm... it is my understanding that by law it's required for every channel to have CC for any new programming they air, and it's mostly in english, just a few channels have it in spanish, this to help people with hearing disabilities. So far i have not found a single FTA that doesn't do CC but they might exist, specially those imported from places where it's not used so Line 21 it's not displayed altogether.

M.

ERRRM ...no, OP was talking about CC in languages like Russian, Arab, German ala carte. CC was originally intended for the hearing impaired and the Ball Institute was the base source of this service for many years. The broadcasters in my area support Spanish because of the large populus of people hear that use it. It is a great ESL tool for those using it to learn English.

It sounds to me like the OP was talking about something where the caption is a different language than the audio.

I would be pleased if Spanish language channels could have English captions. :)

Last edited:
I think I didn't explain myself well, the Closed Caption is already done in some satellites/receivers but when I talk about Electronic Closed Caption l'm talking about the same way we can do with mkv or divx files in were you download your desired subtitle file (st, sub, etc.) so if the channel in that satellite doesn't has the Closed Caption you want for example those channels in 97w so you could download from internet your desired closed caption.

for example you can download EPG from your satellite but it this one lacks of it you can search for XMLTV over internet.

what you talk about divx is subtitles and that is a total different animal. CC is intended for the hearing impaired subtitle is just the simple translation into a different language and therefore is superimposed to the video signal instead of embeded inside it. US programming is CC by the producer and then if needed subtitled by other foreing tv stations for their respective languages and BTW most countries DO NOT subtitle, they would rather translate with an audio track , it all depends on the level of literacy of the intended target audience in such countries. KTV from Kuwait on Hispasat for instance keeps the english audio and then they subtitle the programming (mostly US or UK). when channels want to broadcast an international signal or the American version if you prefer then the audio and programming is originated in English , think of Chinese CCTV , it has Spanish, English and French dedicated channels. The same with the Japanese NHK or some other major internacional networks. Most channels from most countries , what we call ethnic programming, such in 97W , is intended for their own people who live now in NA rather than for US natives therefore no need for english subtitles nor any other translation. subtitle services increases programming costs therefore only major networks can afford it.

Exactly that's why those channels even doesn't have EPG, so what we do is choose EPG from somewhere else aka XMLTV, so I'm thinking in closed captions (subtitles if you wish) that could be downloaded according to your needs, uploaded by people similar to those ones that upload those str (subtitle files) so we could have open source subtitles

Exactly that's why those channels even doesn't have EPG, so what we do is choose EPG from somewhere else aka XMLTV, so I'm thinking in closed captions (subtitles if you wish) that could be downloaded according to your needs, uploaded by people similar to those ones that upload those str (subtitle files) so we could have open source subtitles

Yes, that is right on. Some of the posters here are confused between NTSC Line 21 and ATSC streaming text and audio.

But are we talking OTA or FTA.

If FTA signal is provided to broadcaster or cable company then the end point service provider would likely have the option to insert what audio stream and text stream he needs for his market.

With digital signals, audio to text inserter software will have many options for language and more.

Service providers usually need a financial reason to provide value added services.

Many of my OTA stations can't even keep up their EPG.

All of this should not be confused with "In-Video" sub-titles and commercial inserters that you see at the bottom of screen.

I'm talking about the service providers because they are already transmiting what they can, I'm talking about people like us for example some EPG are created by guys that are not related to the broadcasters at all, they just provide that information for fun.

But then how are you going to do that, some programming is live programming some other are encore presentations. You could only do that with say repeat shows or as in Live CC , it will have to be a realtime translation streamed via web. who is going to do that?. gathering EPG info from tv station websites automatically or newspapers or tv guides throught the world and then streaming it to our SBT via web is doable but the other? , I dont see how without a finacial benefit.

EPG is done without any financial benefit as well, and you are right only previously transmited shows could be translated but is better than nothing do you think?

Status
Please reply by conversation.