ends for rg6

joeh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Louisville, KY Aera
I am not for sure if this is the place that I need to post this. But I am getting ready to rewire my house and going to run new rg6 cable, What kind of ends do you guys recommend. I would like to use what my original installer used which was a compression end. But I can not find the compression ends and crimper on the net. Thanks for your help.

You can also goto Home Depot and get them. I don't know exactly what brand they list them as, but what they sell is a Sterling. Those are the only ends I will use. They have a couple different tools as well. One is pretty cheap like $5.00 but for a 1 time house rewire it should do fine.

The compression tool in Homedepot is made by Ideal, it cost about $58 or more. You can go to Ebay, and after careful searching, you could find an off brand tool for far less. These tools work with most compression RG6 connectors, but not all RG6 connectors. Some manufacturers have their own tool for their own connector. Some RG6 connectors are made for outdoor use, and some are not. I will use only weather tight RG6 connectors for everything. There are even o-tings for RG6 connectors, but I don't trust them, either the connector was made to be water tight, or not. Look at this Ebay item, Item number: 5805615896 for a "RG-6 Coaxial Compression Tool+RG6 Coax Connectors" for a inexpensive compression tool that looks like it is made well. I am thinking of buying one of these as a spare. There is another ebayer that sells RG6 cable for $27 per thousand feet with $19.97 shipping, that is 4.7 cents per foot. Home Depot will charge you .19 per foot, so do the math; for the price of a 100 feet at Home Depot (+tax), you can pay for the first 424 feet of this ebay order. You can never have enough RG6 if you like to tinker.

snap and seal or compression fittings, rated to 3000 mhz, do not use hex crimp fittings what ever you do, and make sure you have a good coax stripper, radio shack and home depot both sell a good one that is interchangeable and adjustable blade depth.

Coax stripper is grey with an orange plastic insert, priced at $13.00, can be used for RG-59, RG-6, RG-6 quad shield, ground wire to 12 guage. Blade depth is adjusted by use of depth adjust screws and a small allen wrench.

The best stripper I've used is also bought at Home depot, or on the net from Ideal. It will stripp RG6 in a two step process. The outer jacket, and then the insulator cover. It costs about $25..

I just bought this kit for $46.20 to my door:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPRESSION-TOO...itemZ5805744011QQcategoryZ11726QQcmdZViewItem

I like the PPC ends better than the snap & seal ones. I've got some of each in my cable box from the Dish Network / Voom / Cable TV installs that have been done. The PPC EX6 connectors (or XL for the longer body) seem to be a more professional cable end.

I concidered buying the PPC tool but buying the stripper and the ends seperately along with this tool costs about twice what this auction alone cost me. If the Zenith tool sucks I can always buy the PPC one later and not really be out any money.

Shawn95GT said:
I just bought this kit for $46.20 to my door:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPRESSION-TOO...itemZ5805744011QQcategoryZ11726QQcmdZViewItem

I like the PPC ends better than the snap & seal ones. I've got some of each in my cable box from the Dish Network / Voom / Cable TV installs that have been done. The PPC EX6 connectors (or XL for the longer body) seem to be a more professional cable end.

I concidered buying the PPC tool but buying the stripper and the ends seperately along with this tool costs about twice what this auction alone cost me. If the Zenith tool sucks I can always buy the PPC one later and not really be out any money.

I have bought from this guy before and he's very fast shipping the products. The Zenith tool is a good tool for PPC EX6 and SnS. I also prefer the PPC EX6 connectors, one size fits all and they are easy to work with. I have tested both connectors on my cable modem run and my SNR and signal strength are equal to SnS or better with the PPC EX6 connector.

Can someone comment on Quad shiled RG6 compression connectors when used with regular RG6? I didn't know I was buying quad connectors, only that they were weather proof. i only have regual RG6 60% braid. I feel I may have to order some regular compression connectors. Until I get home tonight, I won't see it, if it is an obvious thing. I hate to waste the day waiting to find out, when I can get busy and order the right part this time. Thanks. Joe

If you want to buy local, another option is to buy the Zenith tool only ($12 or so at Lowe's). You can then get the Zenith connectors at about $1 to $1.50 a pop (for RG6 quad only). If you need a bunch of connectors, go to Home Depot and get 50 Ideal compression connectors for $28 (available for standard or quad RG6) - or get the connectors from internet sources sited above.

BTW - the Zenith tool has worked fine for me so far, seems like a good choice for the DIYer. The $50+ tools are probably justified for professional installers.

I feel you are right.. I ordered a Kit from Wise Communications web site, it is made by Ideal, the maker some of the professional type tools installers use. I paid $133 for the kit which included a jar of 50 RG6 connectors, the compression tool, the coax wire stripper that preps the coax in two steps, and a pair of wire cutters, the type that are curved so to not crush the coax as it is cut. The bag that it all comes in is blue and made by Ideal and be be bought seperate. I thought it was all that I was looking for, but for as often as I will use it, I could have bought it all for half this cost and had no complaints. The compression tool by Ideal, sells for about $58 in Home Depot alone, the stripper sells for $26. Do your shopping on Ebay, and make sure you know what you are buying and you will do good. JM

jrbdmb said:
If you want to buy local, another option is to buy the Zenith tool only ($12 or so at Lowe's). You can then get the Zenith connectors at about $1 to $1.50 a pop (for RG6 quad only). If you need a bunch of connectors, go to Home Depot and get 50 Ideal compression connectors for $28 BTW - the Zenith tool has worked fine for me so far, seems like a good choice for the DIYer. Perhaps the $50+ tools are justified for professional installers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts