Engineers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnwhatican

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Are there any engineers using this forum? I'm looking to go into the engineering field and I know I need to gain some experience while I'm in school. What companies should I look to for an internship? I have no idea where to start.

I'm really interested in energy creation, you know, alternate sources of energy. So I'm thinking Mechanical/Electrical, but I'm just now getting started, and I don't have to pick a specific field yet. I was hoping to find some sort of company already into alternate sources of energy, but there seems to be none.

Well, here in central PA a brand new factory just opened-up, Gamesa. They will be making the blades for wind turbines. Gamesa is a Spanish company - check their website. That's certainly an "alternate energy source", and hopefully a rapidly growing field. Gamesa must have thought so too or they wouldn't have invested millions into opening this new factory! Just one example. I'd also be looking into alternate fuel source companies, but you don't need to look further than the traditional ones to start. Check out BP, for instance...

You both sound like you're still in high school and ready to get serious about your futures - good for you! Talk to your guidance/career counselors and they can point you to the best schools. Check out their curricula so you know what you're getting into. You certainly know how to do some research on your own as well. No time like the present to get started! I presume you have academic backgrounds strong in sciences, computers, and math - you'll need all this and more to move on from where you are now. Internships usually start sometime after your freshman or sophomore years, but some schools are partnered with private companies in your chosen fields and may have more fully integrated programs. If you find a company that interests you, contact their HR dept. and ask the question.

Good luck to you both, and welcome, BTW...

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to start.

First: Chose the field you want to work in. Do a little research on each discipline; Civil (that's my field), Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, etc.

Second(the most difficult): Go to a University and get a B.S. Degree in that field.
Hope you can get through all the physics & calculus.

After this step, the jobs will come to you.

2 years later you can take the State exam and get your stamp. Then start your own practice. Some disciplines require a masters degree, some don't.

PM me if you have any Civil engineering related questions.

I checked out the gamesa website, do a google for gamesa energy and you'll find it that way, doing a search for gamesa brings up a spanish potatoe chip manufacturer. The site gives standard company info about world wide locations, what they do ect ect ect, what I couldnt find was employment info or any internship info but there is contact info and that should get them started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)