Equipment Provided for New Dish Network Subscriber

I don't think satellite receivers are heavy enough to use for boat anchors.

Won't the new DVR receivers cost more per month than the 722?

On the website if you build your own package and equipment a DVR will cost $10 more per month than a free(included) basic receiver. I guess I could check and see if a DVR fee is cheaper than that but I doubt it.

Its such a pain that the two satellite providers treat their existing customers worse than they treat their new customers. If they would do that I wouldn't have be going thru this exercise of flip flopping between providers. The setup I have now with Direct is perfect...other than the price!

I guess I could check and see if a DVR fee is cheaper than that but I doubt it.

I (highly) doubt it too...which is why we keep telling you to go with the single tuner HD receiver (211k my preference) pay the one-time $40 DVR fee & call it a day. Look at it this way...you DON'T have DVR NOW with your current D* setup, so you're already ahead by going this route... ;)

As far as the Wally having RF remote...here is the DISH manual on it & it DOES talk about "pairing" the remote to it, which is the same thing on the Ho's/Jo's. BUT then, on SS's website, it states it comes with an IR remote...which makes no sense if you're trying to "pair" a remote to it. :confused:
May need to call SS & confirm what it is...

http://manuals.solidsignal.com/wallysetup.pdf (step 7)

The fact that DISH's own website says it's compatible with all the Ho remotes tells me that it IS RF capable: (not to mention it having a "remote locator" button on the front of the receiver)
https://www.mydish.com/support/receivers/wally

Since you are definitely wanting RF remote, & if you do NOT care about the built-in OTA tuner, optical audio, component or S-video outs, then going with this Wally probably makes more sense for you.

Last edited:
On the website if you build your own package and equipment a DVR will cost $10 more per month than a free(included) basic receiver. I guess I could check and see if a DVR fee is cheaper than that but I doubt it.

Its such a pain that the two satellite providers treat their existing customers worse than they treat their new customers. If they would do that I wouldn't have be going thru this exercise of flip flopping between providers. The setup I have now with Direct is perfect...other than the price!

Someone else can be more specific on this, as I don't know all of the pricing structures. You indicated that you could or would get something newer than a 722 for the same monthly pricing. Something newer would probably be a Hopper. I think Hopper fees are higher than standard DVR fees.

New customer incentives are pretty standard in many industries...............to gain new customers.

I will probably be leaving Direct TV in a couple of months as my current contract will be up and I doubt they will come close to matching Dish Network's $39.99 flex package. What receiver will they give me if I sign up for a Non DVR 1 TV setup? What Satellite Dish/LNB (Model #) would they use for this flex package with no locals?

Also does this receiver accept an RF remote and will it do both HDMI and composite at the same time? Currently I use multiple RF remotes on my Direct TV H25 receiver with HDMI to the primary TV and a modulator fed with composite cables and then going thru coax to the secondary TV's. It works great BTW. I want to create a similar set up on Dish if at all possible.
I cancelled my Directv account, using the exact same receiver model that you are, in August. In September, Directv offered me the Select package price-locked at $19.99 per month for one year, plus all of the premium movie channels for free for three months, and a $200 Visa gift card, all with no contract required. I didn't have to think very long before accepting that deal. I was able to save an additional $10 per month by switching to a standard-def receiver. (I think one of my $10 per month credits was intended to cover the HD fee. It is going toward the programming instead.)

I cancelled my Directv account, using the exact same receiver model that you are, in August. In September, Directv offered me the Select package price-locked at $19.99 per month for one year, plus all of the premium movie channels for free for three months, and a $200 Visa gift card, all with no contract required. I didn't have to think very long before accepting that deal. I was able to save an additional $10 per month by switching to a standard-def receiver. (I think one of my $10 per month credits was intended to cover the HD fee. It is going toward the programming instead.)

That is an incredible deal, congrats !! Did you cancel before the end of your contract? In other words were you without service for 30 days? Did you first try the retention department and they wouldn't budge on pricing...and then just drop the service. I'm trying to get a sense of how this played out-a cat and mouse game or what. Again congrats on what is a smokin deal.

I thought the lowest receiver Direct used was the H25. So are you in a different receiver now.

I was able to save an additional $10 per month by switching to a standard-def receiver.
Did you actually get a replacement SD receiver...or did they just "turn off" your HD channels??? AFAIK, unless you already had an SD receiver on your account, D* won't even activate new SD receivers any longer...considering they are planning on stopping ALL SD service (or at least that's what they keep saying) by 2019. ;)

(couldn't find the post here, but Solid Signal says the same thing)
http://www.solidsignal.com/directv-standard-definition-receiver-th.asp

DIRECTV plans to cease all SD services in 2019 and will start removing SD channels as early as 2017. This means the company will not activate standard definition receivers for residential customers except as a replacement for a failed one.

Don't know how anyone can stand SD anymore!! I have been living in SD Hades for a week now at MIL visiting and she has SD Uverse on a 32 inch HDTV which squishes the picture at the top and bottom and makes everyone look fat and the fat look fatter. She refuses to pay the $10 a month for HD even though she has 4 outlets on 4 TVs and she lives alone. Tomorrow I have to watch NFL on that!!! Headed home Monday to my FAR superior HWS system. Can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using the SatelliteGuys app!

That is an incredible deal, congrats !! Did you cancel before the end of your contract? In other words were you without service for 30 days? Did you first try the retention department and they wouldn't budge on pricing...and then just drop the service. I'm trying to get a sense of how this played out-a cat and mouse game or what. Again congrats on what is a smokin deal.
I had two months left in my contract, so there was a $40 early cancellation fee that Directv credited back when I reactivated my service. When I called to cancel, the most Directv would give me was $5 off per month for 12 months, which was nowhere near good enough. I called back more than a week later to ask why I hadn't received the box to return my old receiver. That is when I was told that I didn't need to return the H25, I could recycle it, and they offered me the deal I posted above.

I thought the lowest receiver Direct used was the H25. So are you in a different receiver now.
Did you actually get a replacement SD receiver...or did they just "turn off" your HD channels??? AFAIK, unless you already had an SD receiver on your account, D* won't even activate new SD receivers any longer...considering they are planning on stopping ALL SD service (or at least that's what they keep saying) by 2019. ;)
I must have gotten in before the deadline, because they switched me to a D12. This required a brand-new installation, especially since I had already removed the old satellite dish. Directv agreed to provide the equipment and installation for free. Then, Directv sent the installer to the wrong address, even though I caught the mistake on the order confirmation and did everything I could to get the mistake corrected before the appointment. When the installer did not show up at the scheduled time, Directv tripped over themselves apologizing to me for the inconvenience. The first time I called to complain, I got a one-time $50 credit, and I was assured that the installer would still be able to make it that day. When I called back at the end of the day because the installer still hadn't arrived, they gave me another one-time credit of $31, an additional credit of $10 per month for 12 months, and an additional month of free premium movie channels. My installation ended up being delayed by a few days.

After the installation, I was charged a $45 fee for not returning the H25. I complained and got Directv to credit that charge back to my bill and send me a box with a pre-paid shipping label to return it. I was also able to get Sports Pack for free for three months. This actually lowered my bill by another $5.99 per month, since Sports Pack was bundled with my premium movie packages, increasing the bundle price by $8 (changing from $53.99 to $61.99) but I was credited the full $13.99 per month stand-alone price for Sports Pack, in addition to the $53.99 I was already being credited for the premium channels.

After seeing a commercial advertising for Playboy TV for free for three months, I was able to call and get that deal, also. So, by the time I was done negotiating with them, I was able to get a lot of programming for free, and Directv actually paid me to subscribe to their service. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts