ESPN HD on 119 NOW! Bad for Me :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rstokas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Well I woke up today to see why I really need the 119. Now ESPN HD is on 119 just like CBS HD W, DISCOVERY HD, HD NET.

This is crazy!

Are you serious?! That is not cool. I don't think I'm alone in not being able to receive a good signal from 119. Many people seem to have tree/building trouble with 119. I can deal w/o HDNet and Brave-HD, but if this starts to affect HD football and baseball I might go crazy.

Hey, sorry that you lost it, especially with football starting up. However, D* does say that for HD you need a three LNB dish since you know they're going to be moving tons of stuff around to be able to fit in HD wherever they can.

2. A DIRECTV® HD System (DIRECTV® HD Receiver + Multi-Satellite Dish)
To enjoy our wide variety of high-definition and standard-definition programming, you'll need:

A DIRECTV® HD Receiver or the all-new DIRECTV® HD DVR.

An 18"x20" DIRECTV Triple-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish.

It looks like they moved HBO & HDPPV (99) off of 119, and ESPN-HD & Discovery-HD onto it. (Along with HDNet, BravoHD, and 90 & 93). I could be wrong though, I'm just basing this on what channels are currently not coming in for me very well.

It is possible for anyone of you to use another dish to receive the 119? I know a few people who have done that in the past. Or is all else fails get a chain saw or a bulldozer ;)

I have 3 18 inch dishes aligned for each bird and it works great. My cable friends think I am nuts but whatever it sure beats ComCrap

I hope once the leaves fall in the next month or so I'll be fine until spring. the signal is only bad when it's windy, so I've almost got a clear line. In the spring I'll either add a single or try to find an installer who will climb to top of the roof, or I'll trim the tree. Right now I've got it on the bottom of the roof, installed out of an attic window. I'm on the 3rd floor of triple-decker, so a ladder won't reach.

towelie said:
I hope once the leaves fall in the next month or so I'll be fine until spring. the signal is only bad when it's windy, so I've almost got a clear line. In the spring I'll either add a single or try to find an installer who will climb to top of the roof, or I'll trim the tree. Right now I've got it on the bottom of the roof, installed out of an attic window. I'm on the 3rd floor of triple-decker, so a ladder won't reach.

Not sure where you live but being in the NE I like to be able to clean the snow off if there is a problem. Just something to consider in keeping it within reach of a broom.

I don't have access to 119 so I called D* to confirm that ESPNHD and DiscoveryHD where moved. The first CSR told me that they hadn't been moved and blamed my equipment. I asked her how I could get HBOHD if it was still on 119 and I had 0 Signal Strenth to that Sat. She said she didn't know but continued to blame my equipment. She then passed me on to the next level of service which was much better.

I explained my situation to this CSR so she went to check with a manager. She came back and told me that these channels had been moved and that she was also told it would be temporary, but she wasn't sure when they would be switched back. She continued to tell me that eventually all HD channels will be on 110, locals (non-NY & LA) will be on 119, and everything else on 101.

Thought you guys might find it interesting.

BuddyK She continued to tell me that eventually all HD channels will be on 110 said:
I find that hard to believe, all HD on 110 (if we're talking about the current satellite at 110). I think that's another CSR that doesn't know the entire story.

"She continued to tell me that eventually all HD channels will be on 110, locals (non-NY & LA) will be on 119, and everything else on 101."

If she's correct, that would be great for me since I get all locals HD OTA. The moving probably has something to do with NFL ST. thanks BuddyK

Regardless if she's right or wrong this is just another example of CSR's not having a clue about what is going on within thier own company.

I just hope she was right.

Obviously, she CAN'T be right. They don't have room 110 for all the HD channels they have now. Much less what they will have in the future.

the person I called had no idea they even moved and neither did his supervisor! This is crazy

Sorry, but what channel is the ESPN-HD on? This is great news......keep 'em coming. Reason I ask, my Texas Longhorns play Ark on 9/11 (yeah I know, feel safe though, they are Razorbacks - pork) and is carried by ESPN!

Barney

Edit: ESPN-HD on 73 which I already have had (upconverted etc). My bad :D

BuddyK said:
Regardless if she's right or wrong this is just another example of CSR's not having a clue about what is going on within thier own company. just hope she was right.

You guys do know that 99% of the time when you call 1st level support at D*, E*, Dell, HP, etc, that you are talking to a 3rd party outsourced call center right? Not the actual company. These people will only have the latest info provided by the flip-file scripts that their contracted companies have provided to them. They can be many weeks behind real world happenings or totally in the dark on an impromptu, temporary or emergency move. Even if you ask for the supervisor from 1st level support, it is THEIR call center supervisor, not the provider's.

Well, I'm screwed by this. I don't subscribe to the HD package, and all I was interested in was HBO HD. Because of trees, I have one dish up pointing at 101 and one dish up pointing at 119. I suppose I could swap out the LNB on the 119 satellite and move/re-aim it to 110. Ugh.

I guess I'll sign up for the 6 months free HD in the meantime and see what hte big deal is.

Anyone know what the impetus for the shuffle is?

Talking the wife into putting up a 3rd dish is not going well. Imagine that! I just realized I could not have a 119 dish and just have the dish on 110 to catch HBO and SHO. The other HD content just isn't very compelling for me yet. I'll then get one more channel than I had before.

I hope that Fox HD shows up on 101. I'll probably wait for all this to settle before doign anything.

AaRdVarK said:
Talking the wife into putting up a 3rd dish is not going well. Imagine that! I just realized I could not have a 119 dish and just have the dish on 110 to catch HBO and SHO. The other HD content just isn't very compelling for me yet. I'll then get one more channel than I had before.

I hope that Fox HD shows up on 101. I'll probably wait for all this to settle before doign anything.

The wife will get over it so go for it as I guarntee you will need that bird for future HD programing. My wife was great as she didn't notice it for about a month and told her it had been there for years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts