ESPN HD... wow!

CopyChief

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
I caught the Cards vs. Cubs game last night on ESPN, and was wowed by the picture quality. Amazing. I've only had HD for about a month and am still blown away by the picture quality.

I did notice that the picture on ESPN was much better than what I saw during the last FSN Midwest HD broadcast.

Has anyone else noticed this?

(I should note that this is consistent with what I noticed on SD broadcasts, too -- ESPN was always far superior to the picture on FSN). Is this a matter of bandwidth or broadcast-side equipment?

If DishHD wows you, then come over to FiOS TV and you will be double-wowed! Verizon shows full bitrate HD and they don't over-compress, downrez or reformat the picture (aka MonkeyShines) in any way. They do HD the way Dish Network used to do HD prior to 2006. With FiOS TV, You get really eye-popping image depth and clarity if that's what the broadcasters is sending.;)

FiOS TV HD = Eye Popping
DishHD-Lite = Eye Pooping

I did notice that the picture on ESPN was much better than what I saw during the last FSN Midwest HD broadcast.

There definitely is a difference in the picture quality between the two. The other thing I notice is that many times there is a ridiculous audio delay when watching FSN Midwest. I'm talking nearly a second when watching baseball games between seeing the batter hit and hearing the crack of the bat.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen that issue.

I don't know about 'full bit-rate' HD, It is compressed, maybe not quite as much as on Dish and certainly less than Comcast, but full bit-rate HD is about 1.6 Gbs, and I don't care how much bandwidth fiber can handle, they can't provide full uncompressed HD for 100+ channels that they will eventually need to support..

If DishHD wows you, then come over to FiOS TV and you will be double-wowed! Verizon shows full bitrate HD and they don't over-compress, downrez or reformat the picture (aka MonkeyShines) in any way. They do HD the way Dish Network used to do HD prior to 2006. With FiOS TV, You get really eye-popping image depth and clarity if that's what the broadcasters is sending.;)

FiOS TV HD = Eye Popping
DishHD-Lite = Eye Pooping

FIOS is ok but I would not say eye-popping.. ;) Anyway ESPN has always been a hit or miss due to it just depends on the event and what hardware they have there. It seems sometimes things look really good then on somethings its like they are not using the same equipment as they did at the other. I thought I read someone where that they were post to be getting more HD Trucks so forth so overtime I think things will be more consent..

FIOS is ok but I would not say eye-popping.. ;) Anyway ESPN has always been a hit or miss due to it just depends on the event and what hardware they have there. It seems sometimes things look really good then on somethings its like they are not using the same equipment as they did at the other. I thought I read someone where that they were post to be getting more HD Trucks so forth so overtime I think things will be more consent..
Garbage in, garbage out. Just as long as the broadcaster quality content, then FiOS TV is about as good as it gets. Of course, there appears to be no shortage of poor source material.

PQ has improved in some cases lately. Versus hockey has been pretty good where it was kinda eh and pixellating sometimes previously when I'd watch. I can say the same about ESPN.

Could be new encoders, could be the source updating stuff on their side, could be combination of things.

Either way I've been pretty happy lately. Not that I wasn't before, just am more now.

Seeing as Verizon sold out ME NH VT, it's not like we're going to get FIOS, but Dish Network is next best thing and still better for TV anyway.

At least we have ADSL2+ here for data.

i always ove when people spout about Fios, most of us will never get it, so its out of the question, we have had fiber where I live for a few years and Fios won't come out to hook it up, and give no reason why

i always ove when people spout about Fios, most of us will never get it, so its out of the question, we have had fiber where I live for a few years and Fios won't come out to hook it up, and give no reason why

Verizon has some questionable marketing strategies. They were doing a lot of work in my area. Thought it would be great to get full mpeg2 transmissions. I finally decided to put away the rabbit ears and sign a contract to receive more HD content. Called Verizon and asked if the work they were doing in my area meant FIOS was coming? Was told that the work they were doing was routine maintenance. So, I signed a satellite contract. One week later a guy in a Verizon shirt knocks on my door soliciting Verizon FIOS bundles. I would have signed up in a heart beat if not for the 2 year sat deal I just signed.

The deal was unlimited phone, DSL (at 40 Mps) and HD TV with DVR for $90 a month. Simple one year commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts