Espn2_hd???

adamneh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2004
I know this is minor since there is no hockey going on, but is Voom planning on adding ESPN2-HD? I believe they begin broadcasting tomorrow (Jan. 6).

adamneh said:
I know this is minor since there is no hockey going on, but is Voom planning on adding ESPN2-HD? I believe they begin broadcasting tomorrow (Jan. 6).
No word on this yet. But since VOOM already has a spare HD channel (or two) sitting in the 300 channel range, I wouldn't be very surprised if they do! ;)
(Just my speculation!)

I think it's safe to say that we'll see ESPN2 HD in the very near future; it will only be news if they fail to appear in the next day or so. My question is will the ESPN2 HD channel use the new MPEG-2 encoder?

This must be a joke???

ESPN HD barelly has 10 hours a week of HD coverage. What do they plan to do with ESPN2HD????

Don't get me wrong, I am not slamming VOOM, just commenting on the lack of true HD material on ESPN...

I think they are planning to show any event that they carry live in HD whether it be college basketball, hockey, college football, etc.

My guess is that Voom will carry. We've all noticed HD on the two Alt ESPN channels, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Clearly, HD progamming on ESPN & E2 will really start ramping up now. It's kind of a chicken and egg between HD equipment/cameras and space to broadcast. By the end of the year we should be rockin' all over.

I thought all along that ESPN2 would be on VOOM, but we have not heard anything and it is now the day before.

Looks like the answer is no, at least at launch.

DirecTV and Adelphia are the only to that have been included in the press release for launch coverage

Yeah, this is the first time that VOOM has not carried a new HD channel at launch. It is really a disappointment. Also, really is a feather in DirecTV's cap if they are getting a major HD channel before VOOM.

Attached is the press release stating that Adelphia and DirecTV will carry ESPN2HD and VOOM apparently will not. This is quite shocking to me that VOOM actually let DirecTV beat them to an HD channel. Their competitive advantage has always been to carry HD channels upon launch. This could be VOOM on the way out. What a shame.

ESPN TO LIGHT UP ESPN2 HD
ESPN2 HD TO LAUNCH LIVE FROM CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW

Las Vegas, Nev. – ESPN2 HD, a high-definition simulcast of ESPN2, will launch Thursday at 7 p.m. EST. The opening night tripleheader will feature top teams from three different conferences - Conference USA, the Big 12 and West Coast Conference: DePaul at #20 Cincinnati (7 p.m.), Memphis at #11 Texas (9 p.m.) and #17 Gonzaga at Santa Clara (11 p.m.). The countdown for the service will take place at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas where executives from ESPN and the Consumer Electronic Association will be present to commemorate the launch.

ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will offer a total of 82 live events in the first 83 days of 2005 across both services. This includes all Saturday primetime basketball match-ups, and a total 28 games as part of Championship Week Presented by 7UP. Rivalry Week, Presented by Cisco Systems, will include top games such as Villanova at St. Joseph's (ESPN2 HD), Boston College at Notre Dame (ESPN2 HD), #24 N.C. State at #3 Wake Forest (ESPN HD), Notre Dame at #12 Pittsburgh (ESPN HD) and #6 Duke at #23 Maryland (ESPN HD).

Distribution agreements for ESPN2 HD have been signed with DIRECTV, Inc. and Adelphia Communications.

“The future of television is here and we are thrilled to launch our second high-definition service live from the Consumer Electronics Show,” said Bryan Burns, vice president strategic planning and business development, ESPN. “We will take full advantage of every opportunity across our two HD services to maximize the number of dates on which fans can see an originally-produced event on either ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD. This is another big day in the development of HD programming.”

In celebration of the launch of ESPN2 HD, 291,827 fans voted on ESPN.com and selected the game that analyst Dick Vitale will call on opening night of the service. Their choice with over 45% of the votes, Memphis at Texas (9 p.m.), was revealed January 1 during ESPN’s coverage of #9 Georgia Tech at #2 Kansas

negreenfield said:
can anybody else confirm?
I remember seeing it, but I beleive it was an upconverted feed from ESPN (not ESPN2). It lasted only few minutes and then went back to the barker channel content. I suspect VOOM is using the ESPN alternate channels to test the new encoders and it has nothing to do with adding ESPN2-HD.

Sean Mota said:
ESPN2A is upconverted but it does not mean that it will be ESPN2 HD.
That's right. I was switching between 307 (ESPN2) and 308 (ESPN2A) and it was the same game. It was NOT ESPN2HD, it was 1080i upconverted ESPN2, 4x3 formatted with black side bars. I even put the receiver in Native mode to confirm and 307 was 480i and 308 was 1080i. Then at 11PM (MST), 308 changed over to "Inside Voom".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)