Ethernet light turns off on router

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Okay, here's the story, a few weeks ago when I got up in the morning, I noticed the Ethernet light was off on my router which was unusual because it's always stayed on when I turn off my computer (which I do before I go to sleep every night). All the other lights on my router were still on. So I went to turn on my computer and it wouldn't turn on. Best Buy is currently fixing it because I have a service plan with them. They said something is wrong with the motherboard but didn't give me too many specifics.

In the meantime, my friend gave me an old computer that runs Windows '98 which works okay with my DSL connection except it doesn't play any video so I can't watch hulu.com or Netflix Instant Watch. I can browse text and pictures on the web pages which is good for now. Then, a few days ago I noticed the Ethernet light was turning off every time I turned off this computer at night as well. I got a bit worried and breathed a little sigh of relief that I was able to turn on the computer. And the Ethernet light came back on as soon as I did that.

My question is should I worry about the Ethernet light turning off now when I turn off my computer? When before it would always be on. Does the Ethernet light usually stay on when you guys turn off your computer? Is it normal for the light to be on or off when you turn off your computer? And the light turning off now, is this some kind of important sign I should pay attention to or should I not worry about it?

It depends on your settings. If the BIOS has wake from lan enabled, it should keep the ethernet on when the machine is in standby/off. This is for administrators to remotely turn on computers in offices and update them overnight when employees are not there.

Your computer is probably set up for an office environment by default and the one you borrowed is not.

If it's Windows 98, it's probably and older box that doesn't keep the LAN port active when the machine gets turned off. Like everyone else says, don't sweat it.

Okay, I just have to ask the opposite question now. I got my computer back and the ethernet light on my router is always on when I turn the computer off. So don't worry about it correct?

It doesn't drain power from the computer or anything like that right? Because I think it was the power supply that had to be replaced on it.

I'm sure it "drains" a tiny bit of power to keep the Ethernet always running, but that would not cause a power supply to go bad. I have machines that I keep running 24/7, and their power supplies keep right on chugging along even after I outgrow the machine years later.

I'm sure it "drains" a tiny bit of power to keep the Ethernet always running, but that would not cause a power supply to go bad. I have machines that I keep running 24/7, and their power supplies keep right on chugging along even after I outgrow the machine years later.

Speaking of which, how do I prevent the power supply from going bad again or rather maximize the life of the power supply? I just want to take preventive measures.

I normally cut my desktop off at night or sometimes leave it on for a few days. Power supplies can go bad just like anything else. Nothing the user did to cause the failure. My modem Ethernet light stays on when the computer is turned off. I think that may be some setting within the modem or the type of modem you have. If it doesn't come on after you have turned on your computer you may have issues. I very seldom turn off the modem or my router. I wouldn't worry about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)