Ethernet Port

Ray S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Central NJ
My cable modem has one incoming line with the cable, one ethernet port and one USB port. I have my computer hooked up to the ethernet port. How do I get second USB connection to the 622? Are there splitters? I will also be getting a 722 installed on Saturday so I will need a third USB connection.

Also I am thinking of a wireless router. Do I have to worry about privacy issues if I install one?

I am new to this so try to explain in the easiest non tech language.

My cable modem has one incoming line with the cable, one ethernet port and one USB port. I have my computer hooked up to the ethernet port. How do I get second USB connection to the 622? Are there splitters? I will also be getting a 722 installed on Saturday so I will need a third USB connection.

Also I am thinking of a wireless router. Do I have to worry about privacy issues if I install one?

I am new to this so try to explain in the easiest non tech language.

First of all, the connection you will need for the 722 is an Ethernet connection, not USB.

A wireless router will only affect your privacy if you choose not to set up the security features that are built in to them.

Here are the options:

1 - Buy a wired router (which is basically a splitter like you said, but there is more to it than that). Run one Ethernet (cat5) cable from the Modem to the router. Run one Ethernet cable from the router to your computer. Run one Ethernet cable from the router to your 722.

2- Buy a wireless router. If your computer does not have built in wireless capabilities, buy a wireless card for the computer. Run one Ethernet cable from the wireless router to the 722.

3 - Buy a wireless router. If your computer does not have built in wireless capabilities, buy a wireless card for the computer. Buy a wireless bridge (aka wireless game adapter) for your 722.

First of all, the connection you will need for the 722 is an Ethernet connection, not USB.

A wireless router will only affect your privacy if you choose not to set up the security features that are built in to them.

Here are the options:

1 - Buy a wired router (which is basically a splitter like you said, but there is more to it than that). Run one Ethernet (cat5) cable from the Modem to the router. Run one Ethernet cable from the router to your computer. Run one Ethernet cable from the router to your 722.

2- Buy a wireless router. If your computer does not have built in wireless capabilities, buy a wireless card for the computer. Run one Ethernet cable from the wireless router to the 722.

3 - Buy a wireless router. If your computer does not have built in wireless capabilities, buy a wireless card for the computer. Buy a wireless bridge (aka wireless game adapter) for your 722.

Thank you. Now I understand what a router does. I think I will buy a wired router. My computer does not have wireless capabilities. I have opened it up to install two RAM memory sticks and increased it from 1GB to 3 GB. Its is a Dell Dimension 8400. But I don't think its worth it for me to open up and install a card. But at least I know it can be done.

I guess I will need a rounter that will at least connect to three devices, the computer, 622 and 722. Thank you for your help.

Thank you. Now I understand what a router does. I think I will buy a wired router. My computer does not have wireless capabilities. I have opened it up to install two RAM memory sticks and increased it from 1GB to 3 GB. Its is a Dell Dimension 8400. But I don't think its worth it for me to open up and install a card. But at least I know it can be done.

I guess I will need a rounter that will at least connect to three devices, the computer, 622 and 722. Thank you for your help.

Anytime, glad I could clear that up. Most consumer routers, wireless or wired, have 4 ports so you will be good to go.

FYI - you can get a USB Wireless card for your computer that doesn't require opening the case. They are well under $20 on the internet and just a little more in brick and motor stores.

Anytime, glad I could clear that up. Most consumer routers, wireless or wired, have 4 ports so you will be good to go.

FYI - you can get a USB Wireless card for your computer that doesn't require opening the case. They are well under $20 on the internet and just a little more in brick and motor stores.

Good to know about the USB Wireless card. When I get a lap top next year I will have to get a wireless router and a USB Wireless card for the Dell.

I just saw a 4-port Wired Router for $39.99 at Office Depot. What does "D-Link" mean? The 732 will be about twenty feet from the modem. But the 632 will need a cable that will need to go through the attic and into a bedroom across a hall way. That would require about forty feet. I will leave the 632 alone. I only want to be able to use the 732's IPTV (VOD) capabilities. The 732 will be installed in the living room (install Saturday). I am going to hook up the Western Digital Hard Drive (750 GB) to it as well . I have a phone line to the 632 so that is not a factor. There is also one available for the 732 but I will not need it with the router.

You won't need to buy a USB wireless card for a new laptop. They all come with wireless capability built in now.

Good to know about the USB Wireless card. When I get a lap top next year I will have to get a wireless router and a USB Wireless card for the Dell.

I just saw a 4-port Wired Router for $39.99 at Office Depot. What does "D-Link" mean? The 732 will be about twenty feet from the modem. But the 632 will need a cable that will need to go through the attic and into a bedroom across a hall way. That would require about forty feet. I will leave the 632 alone. I only want to be able to use the 732's IPTV (VOD) capabilities. The 732 will be installed in the living room (install Saturday). I am going to hook up the Western Digital Hard Drive (750 GB) to it as well . I have a phone line to the 632 so that is not a factor. There is also one available for the 732 but I will not need it with the router.

D-Link is the brand.

your computer doesnt have to be wireless to use a wireless router

they all have around four wired ports

a wireless router is really just a router with a wireless access point

At minimum he needs a switch to expand the single LAN feed from his cable modem. He will need a Ethernet cable long enough to reach each Dish receiver and of coarse run his existing Ethernet cable to his PC. A standard switch will have about 4 ports (1 will be taken up by the LAN feed from the modem). A router will work but keep in mind that it will add a small extra level of complexity, yet giving you more security.

At minimum he needs a switch to expand the single LAN feed from his cable modem. He will need a Ethernet cable long enough to reach each Dish receiver and of coarse run his existing Ethernet cable to his PC. A standard switch will have about 4 ports (1 will be taken up by the LAN feed from the modem). A router will work but keep in mind that it will add a small extra level of complexity, yet giving you more security.

Also, if he goes with a switch, he'll need 2 IP addressess from his ISP.

Also, if he goes with a switch, he'll need 2 IP addressess from his ISP.

I purchased the D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router, EBR-2310 with 4 ports. Why do I need to Internet Provider addresses from my internet provider? I purchased 25 feet of CAT5e Networking cable to to the 721.

Oh, you meant if I used a swith not the Router, correct? I don't need another IP address with a Router, correct?

Thank you. I am going to hook the 722 to the router even though I will have a phone line connected to the 722. I have a 622 there now in the living room which will be moved to the bedroom to replace the 921.

Is there any immediate benefit to me for the broadband connection on the 722? I guess I am just getting a head start to Internet VOD streaming.

You could have connected your PC to the cable modem via the usb connector and used the ethernet port for the 622.

But now with a router you can learn lotsa fun network stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)