Expressvu Readies New Smart Cards For 6000's

Charles Lapple said:
Without the new smart card, will all BEV 6000 reception be lost, at the end of the month? Anyone know for certain?

How can it be by the end of the month? They just announced there would be a swap about a week ago. (Announcement showed up on the guide.) The end of the month is only a few days away.
Mine is going to my cousin's in Toronto.
BTW, if you get the card, you can call BEV on their 416 number (416-383-6688) from the states yourself. I have done this a few times over the years. It never comes up, but just let them think you are in the motherland. You probably don't need to do this, but can't hurt to dial *67 when dialing to block your ID.

...mike

>> How can it be by the end of the month? They just announced there would be a swap about a week ago. (Announcement showed up on the guide.) The end of the month is only a few days away. <<

I went back and watched those instructions, on Ch. 620. It says the new cards will be mailed out "over the next few weeks". No where does it say anything about a deadline. Maybe my broker is giving me the straight scoop???

We'll find out for sure, in a few days.

Well let's hope he is giving you the correct info, *67 will not work with bell canada/they are the phone company of canada. I think if bell just wanted people to see video as soon as card swap is completed then they would have done that but they saying you have to call. The bottom line is they want the brokers out of business because it is a little grey. I did contact freeway and they have not confirmed on how to handle the call in to bell yet. Maybe it is just me but posting that # may have not been a good idea, the 1-866 # no access over the boarder and they will most likely turn that on off.

The parent company may be the phone company, but that does not mean that the CSR is located in a facility that is set up to pull any info beyond the ANI, or what any caller ID unit will pull. Still, you have a point about the call. Not sure it is worth the risk to call from the states.

M Law said:
Going to be hard to get around the plug in, but there is bound to be a way to get around having to call. Guess I can always ask the broker to call and conference me on, then I can speak to the CSR and show a Canadian number.

Over on the Digital Home Canada Expressvu forum, the word is that the number you call to activate is automated, using voice recognition. I would expect my broker to call that number and provide the info needed after they send the cards on to me.

"Over on the Digital Home Canada Expressvu forum, the word is that the number you call to activate is automated, using voice recognition. I would expect my broker to call that number and provide the info needed after they send the cards on to me."

That's good news, let's hope that's the case. Hopefully someone here will get the card soona nd let us know the scoop.

M Law said:
Hopefully someone here will get the card soona nd let us know the scoop.

That would be nice. I suspect it would go something like this:

Broker gets card(s).
Broker sends card(s) to subscriber.
Subscriber installs card(s).
Subscriber calls or emails broker after installation.
Broker calls and talks to the Expressvu computer.
Subscriber's new card(s) are authorized.

The only unknown in this is if Expressvu wants a time sensitive location code number. If that's the case, then after installation, you would call the broker who would keep you on the line while talking to the EVu computer.

As for the phone line being plugged in, I doubt this will be required, since it would prevent some upgrades in Canada.

Jaspear said:
That would be nice. I suspect it would go something like this:

Broker gets card(s).
Broker sends card(s) to subscriber.
Subscriber installs card(s).
Subscriber calls or emails broker after installation.
Broker calls and talks to the Expressvu computer.
Subscriber's new card(s) are authorized.

The only unknown in this is if Expressvu wants a time sensitive location code number. If that's the case, then after installation, you would call the broker who would keep you on the line while talking to the EVu computer.

As for the phone line being plugged in, I doubt this will be required, since it would prevent some upgrades in Canada.

Well, You got steps 1 & 2 correct, I just got the cards from my broker.

Now I just need to install them tonight and call my broker tomorrow.

Jaspear said:
Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed.
Update;
I sent e-mail to broker on Friday. Broker did not copy any of the smartcard info before forwarding me the cards. (and I forgot info at home) I sent info on Monday (didn't know at time that it was Thanksgiving day in Canada)
Got e-mail back today new cards have been activated.

Other than my errors it was a fairly simple process.

n0qcu said:
Update;
I sent e-mail to broker on Friday. Broker did not copy any of the smartcard info before forwarding me the cards. (and I forgot info at home) I sent info on Monday (didn't know at time that it was Thanksgiving day in Canada)
Got e-mail back today new cards have been activated.

Other than my errors it was a fairly simple process.

I'll bet the broker copies my smartcard info before she sends them. Thank's for being the guinea pig! And the update. :)

Other 6000 owners have been talking about more dail-outs after card swap, is this happening in large numbers down south, anybody notice this at all.

Heck I still haven't gotten a new card, much less anything else. Hope I don't get left off then cut off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)