EXT HDD Question

steff3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Sacramento area Calif
I have a question; I have a HDD connected to my Hopper via a ThermalTake Blac X. I thought the TT had gone bad since the Hopper was not seing the HDD any longer at all. Ordered and just received the new TT but am seeing the same thing. When I put the HDD into a Antec inclosure the Hopper sees the drive and the recordings but when I go to one of the recordings, it can not access the recording. I assume the HDD is failing. Is there a way to repair or copy the HDD to a new drive without losing any of the recorded data? Maybe not possible????

Docks and enclosures fail, but not nearly with the frequency that the various components of hard drives do.

You might be able to plug the drive into a conventional computer and do a S.M.A.R.T. test on it. Unless you're pretty sure the drive is dead, you shouldn't attempt to mount/read the partitions and only then, it must be done using a Linux-based computer system (or other platform booted under a live Linux CD).

In my experience, it is better to use retail external drives that are usually cheaper than a bare drive.

If the S.M.A.R.T. test passes, the problem is likely with your dock/enclosure setup(s) or your USB hub or cabling.

Finally, it is possible that your Hopper has its panties in a wad and doing a reboot of the Hopper might clear the issue.

Thanks for the reply... so I cannot run a S.M.A.R.T. test on the drive using my Windows PC? Oh, I rebooted and even tried on my other Hopper with the same results.

Docks and enclosures fail, but not nearly with the frequency that the various components of hard drives do.

You might be able to plug the drive into a conventional computer and do a S.M.A.R.T. test on it. Unless you're pretty sure the drive is dead, you shouldn't attempt to mount/read the partitions and only then, it must be done using a Linux-based computer system (or other platform booted under a live Linux CD).

In my experience, it is better to use retail external drives that are usually cheaper than a bare drive.

If the S.M.A.R.T. test passes, the problem is likely with your dock/enclosure setup(s) or your USB hub or cabling.

Finally, it is possible that your Hopper has its panties in a wad and doing a reboot of the Hopper might clear the issue.

Thanks for the reply... so I cannot run a S.M.A.R.T. test on the drive using my Windows PC?
Most Pee Cee BIOS diagnostics WILL work for reading the saved S.M.A.R.T. information; hence my mention of "conventional computer". Running a short or long test from a S.M.A.R.T. application is probably also possible, but you need to be careful not to do anything in Windows that might cause the drive to be mounted or written to.

afterthought: as a cop-out, you might consider slipping a known good, unpartitioned drive into the dock and see what happens. This may help you pin down on which side of the equation the problem the problem lies.

got it, thanx!
Most Pee Cee BIOS diagnostics WILL work for reading the saved S.M.A.R.T. information; hence my mention of "conventional computer". Running a short or long test from a S.M.A.R.T. application is probably also possible, but you need to be careful not to do anything in Windows that might cause the drive to be mounted or written to.

afterthought: as a cop-out, you might consider slipping a known good, unpartitioned drive into the dock and see what happens. This may help you pin down on which side of the equation the problem the problem lies.

I have TWO Blac X. You literally have to JAM the HD's into them. Many times I thought they were properly seated, but they were not. SLAM THEM IN!!! Will not recommend them again because of that problem.

Will not recommend them again because of that problem.
I recommend against them based largely on the cost being 44% more money ($130 for the combo vs $90 for a 2TB WD Elements) than a comparable capacity external drive.

That they haven't implemented some manner of ZIF connector in the BlacX is kinda disappointing.

I have TWO Blac X. You literally have to JAM the HD's into them. Many times I thought they were properly seated, but they were not. SLAM THEM IN!!! Will not recommend them again because of that problem.

Thank you. I was considering buying one.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't think you need to jam them. You should first make sure the connector end is inserted first. Then you should able to feel the resistance as you insert the drive the last 1/4 inch. The connection and transfer light should light up as you get it mounted and start the transfer, respectively. I have 2 "stands" and 4 Dish drives (1 1.5 and 2 GB). Add smaller drives (2.5 and 3.5") for computer backup. Since the encased drives have come back down in price, I have been buying them--on sale. Aim for $40/TB or less, now. I have not tried any 3TB drives yet.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts